Homebuilt Mid-Engine Sports Racer

Neil

Supporter
Speed Demon just ran 411 mph! That is just under the world's record for a wheel-driven vehicle.

Neil

Supporter
Speed Demon just qualified for a new record: 447.709 mph. They are taking it to the impound area where the crew has 4 hours to prepare the car for another run early tomorrow morning. If the average of the two runs exceeds the existing record the George Poteet and Speed Demon will then be the new record holders.

BTW, the exit speed through the 5 mile trap was 455 mph!

Neil

Supporter
The salt is dry and hard but thin.

The Demon appears to have a set a new AA/BFS record at 437+. Yesterday afternoon they went 428 (exit speed 436). Impound overnight. Ran again early this morning and reached a 450 avg (exit speed 460.6). Well done!

They may sacrifice this record in order to attempt a faster speed...we'll know later this morning.

Randy V

Admin
Lifetime Supporter
My best friend Kenny and a car that he did a lot of work on - was a Poteet car later I believe...
I wonder if it’s still around...
1030CD0C-D93E-4838-8584-87C9DEA7E923.jpeg

Neil

Supporter
Do you know the year that photo was taken? The record in that class, D Gas Roadster is currently:

engine size D name Hot Rod Hoodlums driver D. Jones date 8 /12 219.831 mph

I'll try to find him in the SCTA files.

Randy V

Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Do you know the year that photo was taken? The record in that class, D Gas Roadster is currently:

engine size D name Hot Rod Hoodlums driver D. Jones date 8 /12 219.831 mph

I'll try to find him in the SCTA files.
That was 2005. I would be amazed if the car still had the same engine in it. It was a Cadillac Northstar engine.

Neil

Supporter
Randy, I checked the SCTA archive and I did not see that car listed so maybe it is still around bur in a different class or has a new number.

Neil

Supporter
This morning Speed Demon made another run on the long course at Bonneville. 470.733 mph average in mile 5. WOW!

Speed Demon 2.jpg

Neil

Supporter

Enjoy