How can Special Interest Car Enthusiasts be Liberal Politically??

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
I think that the original question should be reversed, the real qestion should be......

How can a Liberal be a Special Interest car Enthusiest?

Thats easy, we are all different.

Mr Fechter paints all Liberals with the same brush, to him we are all walking arm and arm with Nancy Pilosi, Michael Moore and Al Gore, down the yellow brick road to Communisum. What a bunch of crap!

I have said repeatedly that I think Al Gore is a buffoon, I have no idea if global warming is caused by man and neither do you.

I voted for Reagan the first time, I'm all for offshore oil drilling and nuclear power. I also like that we can get power from wind and I like to sail, even though Mr Fechter thinks wind power is ugly, he is wrong.

We can be many things, one of them is a race car enthusiast.

This whole ridiculous thread is is typical of Me Fechter, trying do divide.

I wonder why he did not complete the cycle? Here are some more questions he should have asked:

How can a Consevative live in California?

How can a Conservative accept welfare?

How can a Conservative get an abortion?

How can a Consevative accept unemployment?

How can a Conservative use Medicare?

How can a Consevative be a teacher?

How can a conservative be a Doctor?

How can a Conservative have a gardener?

You see, those questions are also ridiculous, but no more than the original posters question.

Last edited:
I was much like Doug in resisting any response initially, but LB's last post was worthy of appreciation in that he finally resisted casting the wide net use of the term liberal, and instead focused on the issue regardless of it's ties to the dirty "L" word.

Thank you Terry, I really appreciate that.

I'd love to know what your take on this subject is because you have mad fabrication skills. You're the kind of guy who is going to get hit by this trend more than someone who just wants to buy something that is made for them and not sweat the details.

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
My thoughts are un-interesting at best. I try to get what I want, or deserve, or have rights to, but eventually I must realize that none of this comes to me in a vacuum, and as a society, even the most independent of thinkers must live with all the other independent thinkers.

The glorious day that I take my project for its first ride will be wonderful event in my automotive life, until I'm re-grounded as I sit at the red light next to a Prius.

Last edited:
Even though all those smog and MPG numbers are generated by bureaucrats and politicians rather than engineers.

Even though they are pushing manufacturers to other countries, who little to no pollution requirements, therefore creating more pollution worldwide.

And, all the rest, you choose to let it happen.

Hmm, let's see.

So, Bob, you don't like the fact that after the initial CAFE requirements were enacted, it spurred multiple technical breakthroughs so that modern V8s, including supercharged and turbocharged versions, actually became more efficient in design and nearly met if not exceeded those requirements? Seems like that act of "Liberalism" actually brought V8s back, and better than before, no?

The "Can They Outlaw Hot Rodding" article is not only quite out of date at this point (IIRC, SB100 certs have not been assigned in the first week if not the first day of the year any more, but actually have lasted into April, May and June). Many of the CA laws passed make a lot of sense - there is an attempt to clean up the fraud out there, as well as make sure stolen parts/vehicles are not being used.

CA has always been a hot bed for Hot Rods and racing, and quite a few "Liberals" enjoy it. I do not see why they have to be mutually exclusive.

Ian

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
I personally don't think that any correlation can be drawn between a persons political views and the car they own or lust after. I have been a motor sport enthusiast from the time my Uncle Jack took me to my first motor race in the 50's where I watched Stirling Moss lap the entire field except for Jean Behra who he drew alongside on the last lap but then dropped back out of respect for his fellow European.
And it seems to me that this great sport embraces people from all walks of life
all political persuasions, varying skin colours and a great variety of religions.
It appears to me Lonesome that it doesn't matter what foot you kick with you can be an enthusiast.

"V-8s (and mass-market large cars) made a comeback in the '90s and through to the present day as technology -- especially fuel injection and overdrive transmissions -- made it possible to make the 22.5 MPG CAFE cut. Or at least, come close enough so that any "gas guzzler" fines were economically manageable. Even something as stunningly, obstreperously powerful as a 2012 Cadillac CTS-V -- packing a 6.2 liter, 556 hp V-8 -- can manage 19 MPG on the highway, thanks to the efficiency improvements of the past 20-something years.
But no technology in existence today -- or on the horizon -- will get the CTS-V or anything else with a V-8 under its hood close to the new CAFE mandatory minimum of 35.5 MPG, which goes into effect come 2016. That means -- in all likelihood -- that V-8 powered cars are about to go away again, this time probably for good."

The American Spectator : Goodbye, V-8s, the Engines That Could

Jeff Young

GT40s Supporter
I personally don't think that any correlation can be drawn between a persons political views and the car they own or lust after. I have been a motor sport enthusiast from the time my Uncle Jack took me to my first motor race in the 50's where I watched Stirling Moss lap the entire field except for Jean Behra who he drew alongside on the last lap but then dropped back out of respect for his fellow European.
And it seems to me that this great sport embraces people from all walks of life
all political persuasions, varying skin colours and a great variety of religions.
It appears to me Lonesome that it doesn't matter what foot you kick with you can be an enthusiast.

Amen....

"V-8s (and mass-market large cars) made a comeback in the '90s and through to the present day as technology -- especially fuel injection and overdrive transmissions -- made it possible to make the 22.5 MPG CAFE cut. Or at least, come close enough so that any "gas guzzler" fines were economically manageable. Even something as stunningly, obstreperously powerful as a 2012 Cadillac CTS-V -- packing a 6.2 liter, 556 hp V-8 -- can manage 19 MPG on the highway, thanks to the efficiency improvements of the past 20-something years.
But no technology in existence today -- or on the horizon -- will get the CTS-V or anything else with a V-8 under its hood close to the new CAFE mandatory minimum of 35.5 MPG, which goes into effect come 2016. That means -- in all likelihood -- that V-8 powered cars are about to go away again, this time probably for good."

The American Spectator : Goodbye, V-8s, the Engines That Could

Maybe.

2012 Corvette Grandsport - EPA estimated 26 mpg highway. There are some guys that claim to have gotten 30+ mpg in their Vettes.

The Porsche 918 Hybrid with V8 gets an estimated 78 mpg and 718 HP.

Looks like it isn't as difficult as it might seem ...

What is the phrase, oh yeah, "Necessity, who is the mother of invention". You can bet GM will not let the 2016 Corvette have anything under the hood other than a V8. So, it may take a 7 spd or 8 spd transmission (which Porsche and others are already playing with) with a really tall last gear. But, then again, that's why the Vettes currently have the current 6 spd.

Ian

btw, they are talking 5.5 liter's for the next base model vette. Its also supposed to have more hp than the current base. I'm wondering what kind of tricks they can keep employing to keep the 2 valve motor breathing effectively.

Here is the core reason I post political items here.

"It's all about a proposed ban on all but zero or ultra-low emission cars and vehicles. London's Mayor Boris Johnson wants to put it in place by 2020 in order to bring down pollution levels in the city."

London emissions rules could ban classic cars from city center | Fox News

:squint: ??? :shrug: Some sort of Jedi mind trick Bob or have you turned and are going to change your thread title.

Boris Johnson is public favourite for Conservative leadership – pollLondon mayor is choice of voters and party supporters to lead Tories if David Cameron stands down.

To be fair to Boris, who I have a bit a soft spot for, at least with him you know what you are getting. I am confident exceptions will be put in place for classic cars or for example it will be the end of the line for the London to Brighton etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsFRgIb8mAQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asas49ZLa98

Last edited:

Keith

Oh yeah, gotta keep the Old Crocks....Boris won't fail us....:thumbsup:

As for the rest, I know have have, er, lung issues, but I sure can tell what pollution is now, and London is screwed. The horrific diesel buses and taxis have just got to go before they start on classic cars and the like. Ideal candidates for electric and/or hybrid. Absolutely.

Stupid thing is, no-one really needs to use a car in Central London anyway.

Last edited:

As for the rest, I know have have, er, lung issues, but I sure can tell what pollution is now, and London is screwed. The horrific diesel buses and taxis have just got to go before they start on classic cars and the like. Ideal candidates for electric and/or hybrid. Absolutely.

Read an interesting article recently showing that an MGB doing 3000 miles a year produces less pollution than an eco car doing 10,000 miles a year, and that didn't take into account the pollution cost of buiding a new car.

To be sure perhaps we need to get Lord David Steel elected as Mayor of London

David's outside interests include a love of classic cars, perhaps Bob could campaign for him ;)

Last edited:

And for this reason alone the mayors and his predecessors need shafting with the rough end of a pineapple. They have allowed more houses,offices and shops to be built ( revenue gained ) with a complete disregard for road infrastructure and improvements to public transport. They really need to sort out a realistic park and ride system starting at the m25, that would leave the streets virtually deserted with the commercial vehicles being able to nip in and out of town in a fraction of the time with the associated decrease in fuel and emissions.

Bob

Back