How fast or quick are the SLC's?

Bottom line is that whatever engine/trans combo that you stick in it, it will be an enormous joy to drive! Anything over 300HP would be a blast.

Sorry Ricardo, did not mean to trespass on your personal fiefdom by making my paltry contribution to the forum. Also did not realize that attempting to quantify whether it is worth the money to invest in one powertrain over another from some kind of baseline of hard performance data was a cardinal sin in your book. For some people there is a law of diminishing returns in these projects, I happen to be one of them. That being said, and I am sure not understood, I can get real life experience impressions at any bar in town. I am sure that there is something to learn from them, but how fast and quick was just a trip wire for me to chime in and attempt to answer some question I have. Rest assured, I will be more careful about my contributions in the future.

P

Please excuse my bad manners John, Matt, Jack, and Cam. In this clash between ego and super ego, I forgot to thank you for posting some real and useful numbers....the first have seen here. That, I guess will be my contribution to this thread, which was started with a request for 0-60 and 0-100 times for the SLC.

Many would argue that 0-60 tells nothing about a vehicle. But the reality is that not everyone is going to track their SLCs, and there's nothing wrong with that. Since 0-60 times rule "supercar" comparisons, I don't think it's unreasonable to ask others for some stats. The way some people went about answering this guy's question (myself included) might lead you to believe that the SLC is a god on the track and posts a disproportionate 0-60 time of 10 seconds. The SLC might not have been built for sprints from a dig but it sure does well with them. Considering that an LS SLC's 0-60 time is nothing short of incredible for a sub 100k car with no traction control, I don't think we have anything to hide. I always knew sub 0-60s between 3 and 4 seconds were pretty standard with an LS SLC. After this thread, I know that 0-60s approaching 2.5 with a hard launch, sticky tires, and ls9 + racelogic tc are not out of the question :shocked:

Last edited:
Well, I took mine to the drag strip Wends nite, test and tune nite, not its not turned up, only 8psi of boost, rev limiter is set at 6500 till motor is broke in then Ill go to 8000.

0-100 was 8 sec. flat, first gear was really usless since It went on the rev limiter with in 20 ft and didnt really spin the wheels, track is very sticky, so yes if I wanted to drop the hammer from a standing start im sure I could of been in the 7 second range, but for now, thats fast enough for me, I worked hard on the car to get it to driving state.

I agree no two of any of our cars are alike they could look a lot a like but that is where it ends. My GT40 looks fast but it's only quick . I would never compare it against one of the newer builds. But if I wanted it fast I would spend the money and it would be there. It's all in what each of us want in our cars.

Well, I took mine to the drag strip Wends nite, test and tune nite, not its not turned up, only 8psi of boost, rev limiter is set at 6500 till motor is broke in then Ill go to 8000.

0-100 was 8 sec. flat, first gear was really usless since It went on the rev limiter with in 20 ft and didnt really spin the wheels, track is very sticky, so yes if I wanted to drop the hammer from a standing start im sure I could of been in the 7 second range, but for now, thats fast enough for me, I worked hard on the car to get it to driving state.
I'd imagine at 8 psi you are in the 500 rwhp area and you can easily go to 16 psi on pump gas to be at around 625 rwhp which is pretty typical. You may find at 8000 rpm your turbo is falling on it's face but should be no problem up to 7500. Also, unless you have some serious oiling mods and the motor is built for it, i.e. lightened/balanced/clearanced rotors, among other things, 8000+ rpm is not recommended in 20b's.

Also, fwiw, my Audi station wagon does 0-100 in 8 seconds with a baby seat and boot full of groceries so I'd expect you to get quicker ;)

I figured out the KOSO 0-60mph timer and here's the results:

LS376 (480hp) crate motor
Stock sized SLC tires - Nitto - 24 PSI
G96.50 Porsche g-box with Gikken LSD
Shock settings on 12 clicks compression-rebound

The Achilles heal for comparing times to factory sports cars with all the bells and whistles is the Porsche box. It is not designed for speed shifting and 1st gear is almost useless besides getting the car to roll or pull into a trailer.

Did three runs:

1st run was horrible: 4.2 seconds - 1st gear tire spin-up immediate and trying to speed shift this Porsche box seems like an eternity.

2nd run : 3.9 seconds. Still has 1st gear spin and short shifted to 2nd gear. 2nd gear pulls like mad and will hit 60mph.

3rd run: 3.8 seconds. Still had that 1st gear spin issue. I'd imagine the Ricardo g-box will have a faster time with that very tall 1st gear.

Is there a low 3 second time in this car - yes, but it'd take a bunch of runs and I'm not going to abuse my clutch and trans for bragging rights.

I have no doubt that a 2nd gear roll-on from about 20mph would stomp most "sports cars".

For the sake of my drive-train and wallet I thought it prudent to call it a day.

Dave, I had the mods done to the rotors, bearings, oiling system, balanced, yes 8000 is where my limit is, soft rev limiter is set at 7500. T8 Greedy turbo. The micro tech im getting used to it, so im geting around 13-13.8 normal driving, under boost im at 11.5 -12 on my A/F gauge.

I really have no desire right now to go any faster, I built the car to be quick like Paul's, to me its more fun out of a turn, leaving a car show and banging gears then 200 mph.

Thanks for every ones input, for right now, I am going to drive it, I want to wear out at least 1 set of tires this year, I am happy with the way the car drives, its not a luxury car, at least mine isn't, but it does get plenty of looks when I park it anyplace. No air, no radio, just a stock dash nothing else, that's this winters project. I did buy the door panels, but need to cut my seats on the side support, I have big Kirkey seats in it.

Attachments

• DSCF0717.jpg
    DSCF0717.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 368

Keith

Dave, I had the mods done to the rotors, bearings, oiling system, balanced, yes 8000 is where my limit is, soft rev limiter is set at 7500. T8 Greedy turbo. The micro tech im getting used to it, so im geting around 13-13.8 normal driving, under boost im at 11.5 -12 on my A/F gauge.

I really have no desire right now to go any faster, I built the car to be quick like Paul's, to me its more fun out of a turn, leaving a car show and banging gears then 200 mph.

Thanks for every ones input, for right now, I am going to drive it, I want to wear out at least 1 set of tires this year, I am happy with the way the car drives, its not a luxury car, at least mine isn't, but it does get plenty of looks when I park it anyplace. No air, no radio, just a stock dash nothing else, that's this winters project. I did buy the door panels, but need to cut my seats on the side support, I have big Kirkey seats in it.

Go Garry :thumbsup:

Your photos are terrible but your car is sick!

Try and get a video up with sound if you can. Amazing job......:)

It almost has the F 1 new engine sound other then the whoosh of the turbo and relieve valve when you let off. SHifting is not quite as fast, but pretty close with the sequential gear box.

I figured out the KOSO 0-60mph timer and here's the results:

LS376 (480hp) crate motor
Stock sized SLC tires - Nitto - 24 PSI
G96.50 Porsche g-box with Gikken LSD
Shock settings on 12 clicks compression-rebound

The Achilles heal for comparing times to factory sports cars with all the bells and whistles is the Porsche box. It is not designed for speed shifting and 1st gear is almost useless besides getting the car to roll or pull into a trailer.

Did three runs:

1st run was horrible: 4.2 seconds - 1st gear tire spin-up immediate and trying to speed shift this Porsche box seems like an eternity.

2nd run : 3.9 seconds. Still has 1st gear spin and short shifted to 2nd gear. 2nd gear pulls like mad and will hit 60mph.

3rd run: 3.8 seconds. Still had that 1st gear spin issue. I'd imagine the Ricardo g-box will have a faster time with that very tall 1st gear.

Is there a low 3 second time in this car - yes, but it'd take a bunch of runs and I'm not going to abuse my clutch and trans for bragging rights.

I have no doubt that a 2nd gear roll-on from about 20mph would stomp most "sports cars".

For the sake of my drive-train and wallet I thought it prudent to call it a day.

The Ultima factory starts in 2nd gear when they are trying for the fastest 0-60 times. They have found that the Porsche gearboxes lose too much time in the 1-2 shift, and that first is too short for the purpose.

I expect that SLCs with Porsche gearboxes with relatively short gears (and that is pretty much all of them) might get better times by starting in 2nd gear.

I expect that SLCs with Porsche gearboxes with relatively short gears (and that is pretty much all of them) might get better times by starting in 2nd gear.

I agree with Will...I often got better 1/4 mile times in my old Mustang when starting in 2nd on street tires. I've never driven an SLC, but I've always assumed my fastest acceleration from a stop, would come from starting in 2nd.

Hopefully I can report back soon... :burnout:

Back