Human powered helicopter!

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
I just love this sort of thing!

I remember as a kid reading Popular Science and cloesly following the Kremer Prize for man powered flight. That one was finally won by McCready.

The Helicoper Challenge was just as interesting, clever people with time on their hands.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
I'm pretty sure this wasn't even a remote consideration (!), but, how long do you suppose this 'copter would physically hold together - or even stay aloft - in so much as a 10 mph breeze?

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Probably not very long, but it's still impressive.

After all, if you look at the original Wright airplane, by our standards it wasn't a very good airplane. But it was the first with three-axis control and it did fly- before anyone else's did- and that is the basis for modern aviation. I agree the practicality of the human-powered helo is quite limited, but the first device to accomplish something is frequently limited.

I wonder what it weighs. It doesn't look very heavy, or very robust, either.

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Graphite.....I have a graphite-framed 700C road bike that road ready weighs less than 20#.

When you get so freaky that you are looking to shed grams, you get out the pocketbook and spring (pun intended) for graphite.

I agree...how much does it weigh? The framework could easily be replicated in bonded graphite, Kevlar or Spectra. Tubing seems to be one thing graphite does very well...

Waaay Cool!!

Cheers!

Doug

Now how cool is that? :thumbsup:

Very cool :laugh:

Not a patch on mother nature and her creations.Take a look at a fly under a microscope , thats friggin clever. No carbon,titanium or fancy alloys in one of those annoying little critters.They run all day on a lick of a cow turd. We are not very clever at all really:huh:

Bob

Steve

Supporter
The bike is a Cervelo. One of the lightest out there. All carbon "squoval" tubes. Frame is only 667g

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Bob, I agree totally, but when you think about how long nature has had to work on this stuff, with no timetable, and the relatively short amount of time humans have been working on flight, we don't look quite so bad, do we? I'm just amazed that a human-powered helo exists at all.

Not a patch on mother nature and her creations.Take a look at a fly under a microscope

then check out a Bumble be, every law of physics says it cant fly, but they forgot to tell him that.

Bob, I agree totally, but when you think about how long nature has had to work on this stuff, with no timetable, and the relatively short amount of time humans have been working on flight, we don't look quite so bad, do we? I'm just amazed that a human-powered helo exists at all.

100% Jim.

I get all bent-out-of-shape whenever 'we' get all 'blow our own trumpets' and claim we actually rule the world and out-weigh Mother Nature in the grand scheme.

On the other hand, that fact that we are simply mud and dust, yet we can do stuff like this, or create a symphony is outstanding, given we have only just arrived.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Funny you should say that. Not too long ago I went to see a jazz group here in Annapolis (they are from the West Coast and play gypsy jazz) and I remember listening to the violinist in particular and being amazed all over again at what people are capable of. Just astonishing. (name is Leah Zeger if you're interested)

She's rather cute, too, which gets back to the idea of how well nature has done designing women, when she puts her mind to it. :)

Howard Jones

Supporter

Attachments

• leah-zeger.jpg
    leah-zeger.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 193

Jim your right, the helo is a fantastic achievement when you think that the human race evolved from an ape like creature 2.3 million years ago and we only stopped burning witches some 250 years ago. Technically the human race has only progressed since we stopped burning these witches :huh: Add too this the fact that there are some humans still living in the wild that eat each other and others that think its ok to have sex with animals we perhaps still have some way too go :)

Bob

Perhaps another 2.3 million years is needed :)

Last edited:

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Have sex with animals? Please understand that my very good friends from New Zealand do not consider sheep animals. But loving members of their extended families.:heart::heart::stunned:

Back