Israel and Gaza?

"Our position, however, is that the Palestinians have a real grievance: their homeland for over a thousand years was taken, without their consent and mostly by force, during the creation of the state of Israel."

WHOSE position?

That would be the HRI, Hand Wringers International.

With your logic, why not give it back to the Ottomans? It was taken from them in 1918. But then they took it from the Persians in 1520.

Al Pat and Larry it was actually a direct quote not by me, although I agree with it, but as noted in a previous post by

Jews for Justice in the Middle East

Last edited:
An ad hominem (Latin for "to the man" or "to the person"[1]), short for argumentum ad hominem, is a general category of fallacies in which a claim or argument is rejected on the basis of some irrelevant fact about the author of or the person presenting the claim or argument.

And you somehow thought I was referring to you?:)

their homeland for over a thousand years was taken, without their consent and mostly by force, during the creation of the state of Israel. Quote Nick B

The earliest known reference to Gaza is an inscription in the Temple of Amun at Karnak, Egypt, dated 1500 BC, which states that the town of Gaza is 'flourishing'. And for a long time it did: a staging post on trade routes connecting Asia and Persia with Arabia, Egypt and Africa, even the name means "treasure" in Arabic. Alexander the Great laid siege to the town in 332 BC, executing 10,000 defenders after being held off for two months. Later, the town was held by the Romans, the Crusaders, the Mamluks, the Ottomans and briefly even by the French in 1799, when Napoleon Bonaparte set up camp on his way to defeat in Egypt. The Turks took it back, then lost it to the British in World War I. The Egyptian army grabbed it during the 1948 war that led to Israel's independence, opening camps for Palestinian refugees - and the current situation began when Israel occupied the Strip in 1967.

Looks like the Palestinians have been in Gaza since 1948, not quite 1000 years.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
Al Pat and Larry it was actually a direct quote not by me, although I agree with it, but as noted in a previous post by

Jews for Justice in the Middle East

I don't know about "Jews for Justice in the Middle East", but Google/Wiki sez "Jews for Justice":

"...was founded in February 2002. It describes itself as welcoming all Jews, practising and secular Jews, Zionist and not, who >OPPOSE< (emph mine) Israeli policies that could be seen as threatening Palestinian rights."

'Twould appear it's hardly a 'neutral', agendaless outfit, huh.

And you somehow thought I was referring to you?:)

No I didn't :huh: but who you were referring to is irrelevant really.

I don't know about "Jews for Justice in the Middle East", but Google/Wiki sez "Jews for Justice":

"...was founded in February 2002. It describes itself as welcoming all Jews, practising and secular Jews, Zionist and not, who >OPPOSE< (emph mine) Israeli policies that could be seen as threatening Palestinian rights."

'Twould appear it's hardly a 'neutral', agendaless outfit, huh.

What has that got to do with the price of tea in China? My quote wasn't from them.
:shrug: :shrug: :shrug:

Last edited:
I have tried to read up on this which has included the cut and pasted comments on here , my brain started to hurt and I cant actually see any solution that will be acceptable . The grievances from both sides are deep routed having been fueled by hundreds of years of conflict and interference by others. Total wipe out of one or the other really does seem the only way there will ever be peace in the region.

Bob

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
Or the Palestinians retaliating for the Jewish settlements taking over their land piecemeal. Time to end this never-ending never changing discussion. Good day Gents.

Or the Palestinians retaliating for the Jewish settlements taking over their land piecemeal. Time to end this never-ending never changing discussion. Good day Gents.
:thumbsup:

"The time has come," the Walrus said,
"To talk of many things:
Of shoes--and ships--and sealing-wax--
Of cabbages--and kings--
And why the sea is boiling hot--
And whether pigs have wings."

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
What has that got to do with the price of tea in China? My quote wasn't from them.
:shrug: :shrug: :shrug:

What I was getting at was Google and Wiki came up with nothing when I searched "Jews for Justice in the Middle East". They only came up with "Jews for Justice"...which indicates to me they never heard of the other outfit. That's why I said, "I don't know about (JJME), but Google and Wiki sez...".

So, just who/what is "Jews for Justice in the Middle East" if they're not "Jews for Justice"?

What I was getting at was Google and Wiki came up with nothing when I searched "Jews for Justice in the Middle East". They only came up with "Jews for Justice"...which indicates to me they never heard of the other outfit. That's why I said, "I don't know about (JJME), but Google and Wiki sez...".

So, just who/what is "Jews for Justice in the Middle East" if they're not "Jews for Justice"?

Larry,

Their article is on this website

http://www.ifamericansknew.org/about_us/whoweare.html

Last edited:

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
Larry,

Their article is on this website

If Americans Knew - Who We Are

Thanks. 'Big diff between "Jews for Justice in the Middle East" and "If Americans Knew"...innit! No wonder google/wiki were at a loss! (Ya, I know you're referring to the JJME article being there!)

But, from Google on Ms. Weir:

Profile: Alison Weir

So, I'm assuming we have a "birds of a feather" thing going on here 'twinxt the JJME and her 'positions/opinions-wise'.

Guys, I posted similar to this before in another thread about Israel/Gaza. But, again:

The name "Palestinian" comes from the Egyptian word "Peleset", a seafaring group of people who invaded the region in 1175 - 1150 BCE, and then intermingled with the Canaanites. "Palestine" itself was not used until the 5th C. BCE by the Greeks. The Jews are believe to have come from the Canaanites who roamed the area starting around 1600 BCE, becoming Israelites around 1200 BCE (an Egyptian stele dating back to 1209 BCE is the first recorded use of the the name Israel).

Not that I want to see anything other than peace, the above is just for informational purposes. Since we're talking two peoples separated by maybe 25 years, but over 3000 years ago ... but both sides need to recognize the other's right to exist without the fear of bombs and invasions. And, sadly, the common folk are willing to do it. It's the radicals and politico on both sides that are the problem.

Charlie Farley

Supporter
I'm glad i live in ' Great Britain '.
It doesn't relate to how great we are, it relates to the fact that we are larger than just england.
Great Britain , as you well know is a constituency map of
four individual entities. Can't they learn from that, we each fought each other,
but it seems, learned something.
Why the F*ck can't these idiots get a grip........
We spend too much putting the toys back in the cot for these idiots...
It's almost like both parties want tv exposure , like some twat
on America has Talent.
Why do we suffer these neanderthals ???
Just let them dive into the gene pool...
One lot cover their faces, the other lot wear spare tires on their head.
C'mon this is 2014.

Last edited:

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
I saw some disturbing footage last night of Palestinian rockets being fired from a hospital.
The Israelis gave warning that they were going to bomb the hospital and said to clear out the patients.
Next you see pictures of burnt babies some with missing limbs.
Terrible to watch.

It sums up the Palestinians mentality really ,they know full well what will come back from Israel when they send their rockets up. They must truly believe that the carnage that follows is worthy of the cause which is a terrible thing for the innocent in all this.

Bob

It's not the cause that the Palestinians are going for, it's the lens of the camera that brings out the cries of brutality against the Israelis from the left. They willingly sacrifice their own people after being warned, including women and children for the outcry of people that can't and won't see that their own ignorance is being used against them. What kind of lowlife barbarian sacrifices their own children for public opinion?

Last edited:

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Another way to look at this might be: there are cynical zealots on both sides who are willing to deliberately provoke actions that will result in the death of defenseless innocents. This includes Hamas firing rockets from schools and hospitals- they know perfectly well that Israel can see exactly where each rocket comes from and will shoot back within a moment or two. It also includes The Israeli thugs who kidnapped and tortured the Palestinian child to death, AND the Palestinian thugs who kidnapped the Israeli boys and killed them. It also includes those arming Hamas, who are fighting a proxy war against Israel funded by people too fastidious to get their own hands dirty, but who want to attack the state of Israel.

And, as usual, those least guilty of anything are most like to die- civilians on both sides.

I've seen this script acted out so often that seeing it again fills me with despair. I can't imagine it ever getting any better. Like I said, I was there in 1994 and the depth of the hatred between Palestinians and Israelis astonished me. It's only gotten worse. There are now enough grudges on both sides to last until "the last syllable of recorded time", whenever that is.

Back