J. Salmon RCR-40 Build

Well done John. I found the Ford alignment tool to be very helpful with my Ricardo to LS motor. This plastic part is very cheap at USD30.5 from a Ford spare parts dealer (as long as you don't have to ship to Aus!). Part number is 308-599.

1DSCF3865.jpg

I will send you a PM on the alignment dowels.

Typical. I just assumed Ford didn't have a dedicated part. Yep, that's the way I roll.

Part number for the dowels from Ford: F5RZ 6397-C.

Chuck

Supporter
Light blue: good choice!

Are you going to have the rocker panel stripe and "FORD" logo painted on at the same time? As I recall the rocker panel stripe was typically painted on when the cars were built.

Also agee with the idea of deferring the stripe. Can always add it later. We are still trying to decide whether we will add a stripe or not.

Chuck,
I am leaning toward striping it with vinyl. It would not be easy to do the mustache, but not impossible. This would essentially give a 3M style protection to the nose also. Then I could do the Ford on the side if I want and I could remove it all if I want. I have recently done a vinyl stripe on the 355 that I really like. I would never want to paint one on that car, but I like it myself. This makes it easily reversible. I have a guy in town that is pretty good at it. Something to consider if you are up in the air.

Attachments

• 355ws1.jpg
    355ws1.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 796
Well, looks like I may need Fran to help me dig out of this one. Now that I am beginning to look at clearances, I can see that the axles are not going to clear the heim joints that support the rear aluminum panel and locate the rear clip. The bracket will need to be redone so that they attach above instead of below the bolts that hold the cross brace in place.

Attachments

• axle position.jpg
    axle position.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 1,110
  • axle interference.jpg
    axle interference.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 1,062
I also realize now that the location is so close that anything but solid motor mounts would be a bad idea. Talk about feedback!

More pictures as I bolt up a few goodies.

Attachments

• fitment1.jpg
    fitment1.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 1,023
  • fitment2.jpg
    fitment2.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 912
  • fitment3.jpg
    fitment3.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 872
Hi John

You must have the best garage on the planet a Ferrari and a GT40 and Ironic ,that will be some decision come the day...mmm Ferrari or GT40 dame ill take the bike. I think for a while youll be putting on a few Kilos.Youll need to keep fit esp to get in and out of the GT.

Anyway I love the build ,can i ask you if the LS7 is going to be dry sumped ,and if so would you mind putting up a pic of the pully set up with the pump.Im after a set up that dosnt include the power steering pully.And if the pump replaces the PS pully.

Suggestions!!!

The AC compressor will JUST fit on the passenger side. It will not fit on the driver's side.

I need an alternator or a really really big battery. Any suggestions here? I think Dean has a really small one (well, that's what I heard). It's going to have to be tiny to wedge in there.

Attachments

• Accessories.jpg
    Accessories.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 752
John the ls1 and 2 has the alt and Compressor the way you want it on our Commador in Aus ,I think its the same as the G8 in the US.On my GT40 i had to change the fitting on the compressor to fit the pipes on , A minor problem.

Im also fitting a Ls2 with a dry sump the advantage with the Ls is also it sits even lower in the car,with the dry sump on the engine is the same level as the chassis.

My car however is a DRB

Attachments

• SL370081.jpg
    SL370081.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 787
Last edited:
K. Thanks for the picture. I am pretty sure a standard alternator will not fit there, but it's not like I am the first one to bolt up an LS, so there has to be a way.

Your dern right about the fitness. Went out on a long mountain bike ride with my neighbor and he nearly killed me. Normally I would be working out right now... but I am headed to the garage.

I used to have a small one but it has been removed and a big one "surgically" attached in its place. I can go a lot longer with the big one!:thumbsup:

Sorry about that but really that is what happened. The little Denso race alternator from Powermaster will only give you about 65amps at the peak. That just wasn't enough. I went down to an alternator shop here locally and he let me barrow a few different cores that he had lying around. I found one that almost worked then I took my grinder and cut the unnecessary tabs off. It is a 100 amp Denso but it was really changed around to get it to fit where I needed it. He even made the one wire terminal come out the side instead of the back.

Hey John you can always get the 9 inch grinder out !!!

Whats the sequence with the collectors which cylinders went to which collector ?
They look real nice can you give me more info ? Do you need to fit Kats?

And I know with the fitness thing I used to do a session every day in my Kayak then the GT40 arrived ..now my fat ass cant fit in it!!!

You need a very stable Volt supply with the LS7 or the computor starts playing about.

John Lowe ive sent you a PM

Last edited:
J

I shall follow the resolution of your Compressor and Alternator fit keenly!

Gosh that Ricardo is one big transaxle,so fitting my Quaife ZF-Q will (hopefully:uneasy:) be easier. You really seem to be moving on, great stuff.

Which oil cooler take off did you end up going for?

Best wishes

John

John,
that tranny is big, and I am wondering where to run the rear swy bar. Dean and Ron, you are using them I assume? Any suggestions?

I am going to make a bracket to serve as a secondary transmission mount.
-J.

Attachments

• rear sway location.jpg
    rear sway location.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 800
  • Rear transmission mount template.jpg
    Rear transmission mount template.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 1,048
Suggestions and comments requested

More ideas appreciated. Planning to put the VST (swirl tank) on the driver side (LHD). Oil tank on the passenger side. With the swirl tank, would you cut a hole in the bulkhead behind the tank and try to mount it down in a hole, or would you just mount it to the back of the firewall? I plan on cutting out the battery box space and sinking the oil tank into the hole there. So far, I plan to put the battery in the passenger footwell.

Attachments

• Swirl tank location.jpg
    Swirl tank location.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 685
  • Oil tank position.jpg
    Oil tank position.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 630
Ron and I are running the ZF box. It is tight but it fits nicely. I am using the rear sponson as my swirl pot. The main tank pumps into the back tank with an overflow back to the front tank. driversidelines2.jpg

fuel pick up.JPG

fuel tank1.JPG

Back