Jimmymac & Alistair's Cars

re: Jimmymac & Alistair's Cars

I'm with Jim, way to much space. Makes me a bit ashamed when I complained about my two car garage. Awesome, just promise to keep the post coming, we all like to watch.

I don't think you're alone, a friend of mine has had many of the parts for his 427 Cobra engine under his Mom's bed in her second floor apartment for the past 40 years. If you think it was hard getting it up there wait till you try to take it down when it's finished. Damn man you should have put it in the basement.

Last edited:

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter

The car is purely a project and is secondary to my main passtime which is flyfishing. The space was once my home engineering workshop until the tub turned up.
I have a builder currently working out a brick extension to the garage for me but I am really not fussed as I do not intend to do this type of thing again.
My next projects will be something different and occupy less of my time.

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter

Started tagging all the tails on my wiring loom.
I am using the FAV Electrical Line Diagram but this photo of an original MKII loom assisted me greatly.

Attachments

• LOOM.jpg
    LOOM.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 991

Hi Jim

Could you please email me a copy of the photo to [email protected].

I think I have an original wiring diagram somewhere?

The routing through the tub is another question?

Regards

Chris.

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter

Jim,
The MKII had three SW pumps.
I am using the OEM cloth covered loom incorporating all of these revisions.

HILLY

Supporter

Two ignition amplifiers / governors as well ??
Was this standard or was one maybe a back-up unit.

Peter I can not tell from the pic but all most comp GT40s had 1 voltage regulator and an ignition amplifier and they were both built inside the same case. These were the same cases that were later used to make rev limiters on Boss Mustangs. Ford used that same case to build many electronic ignition parts.

HILLY

Supporter

Thanks Jay.
That is as I (basically) understood it to be.
Attached is some of the info that I have on my transistorized version of the system.
I still need to find someone who can interpret the amplifier diagram and in turn construct a functional unit.
Most other have suggested that I should stick with a more contempory unit to avoid the hassles. I now have the option of both the transistorized and points distributors but it would be nice to have a functional transistorized unit.

Attachments

• Ignition Amplifier.jpg
    Ignition Amplifier.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 795
  • Ignition Circuit.JPG
    Ignition Circuit.JPG
    29.1 KB · Views: 678

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter

The diagram is not difficult to interpret; the problem is that you do not have the resistor values nor the specs for the transistors. Was this unit used on any other Ford products, or was it supplied from a subcontractor who might have the specs for it? That might help. You would also need the specs for the magnetic pickup and the reluctor which drives the system.

HILLY

Supporter

Thanks Jim,
I am not right up on this type of tech but as you suggest the answers will be out there and it will just be a matter of finding them.

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter

I believe that the two twin ballast resistors have different resistance values for each pair of poles.

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter

Help would be appreciated as I have lost my notes and I am in a hurry.
I am looking for some ready made bushes in modern material to fit this rear hoop support.
The part number is GT40P/1/2529 (OEM ~ Silentblock E21026)
Has anyone any contacts for starters ?

Attachments

• REAR SUPPORT.jpg
    REAR SUPPORT.jpg
    287.7 KB · Views: 745
Last edited:

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter

Dave,
O/d would be > 1.100" and Length is < 2.75"
I lost some data transferring stuff to my new Mac and I have the drawings with my notes somewhere in this morasse of my study.

It's just that I thought to broach the inner bores to fit the o/d of new silent blocks before I get this part electrodipped. So I have about four weeks lead time.

Supplier catalogue data would be a good start.

Back