Jimmymac & Alistair's Cars

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
re: Jimmymac & Alistair's Cars

We are making our cooling ducts for vented discs now and gathering info so if anybody has good shots original Gulf GT40 ducts I would appreciate a heads up.
There are a lot of pictures out there for the solid disc type but the vented disc pattern is a more complex design.
I'm thinking of doing them in Incaloy 625 but it might be too difficult so I bought a square foot of material to test some cold forming before forking out.

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter

Not long now for us.
Alistair's car is on the ground for the first time after trial fitting everything.

Attachments

• On rubber 01 1.jpg
    On rubber 01 1.jpg
    257.3 KB · Views: 794
  • On rubber 02 1.jpg
    On rubber 02 1.jpg
    261.2 KB · Views: 724
  • On rubber 04 1.jpg
    On rubber 04 1.jpg
    262.3 KB · Views: 703

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter

Cheers Brian,
I showed my wife the pictures and she is beginning to believe that we have a couple of cars on the go and not a shed load of bits.
Never seen our Alistair so happy.:happy:

Beautiful, James. You are almost there!

It was great to meet you both yesterday, and see you are in good shape... really enjoyed it.

And I hope I can get now some support for you to take a few days off and come to visit!

All the best, my friend

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter

Fitted one of the transaxle oil pumps which we made and the oil line banjo coupling today.

Attachments

• IMG_4376.jpg
    IMG_4376.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 743
  • IMG_4375.jpg
    IMG_4375.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 671

James:
Very nice job as usual, do I see a 3.20 final drive on that gearbox ?, in 5th thats gotta put you at around 2.4 final drive ....that car will have some long legs.
Cheers
Phil

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter

Phil,
Correct - that is Alistair's racing box.
We also have a few more ZF0/1/2s with Pantera style ratios and spare CWPs and gears which we had custom made a while ago.
The project has taken such a long time that we kept buying bits when they came available but Alistair had decided on day one that he wanted this one to try out his "long legs" :)
The tri-lobal drive shafts and donuts will be going onto this box pretty soon.
I'm fitting a ZF1 in my car.

My mate Ali and I had a chat with Ray Webber over lunch today and decided that we should post some details of the work done over the past months with our Mirage monocoques.
We will open this up with some shots of the recent craftmanship done by Ray Webber and Steve Hill at Mirage Automotive.
The cars will be full MKI monocoques with steel roof skins and FIA approved bladder tanks.
They have been built to original general arrangements and CAD surveys of original cars. I have a complete set of original parts for replicating and we will furnish these chassis' over the next months as accurate as we can.

I want to introduce you to all our piece without ever having seen a plane, only seeing photos, a lot of excitement involved.

juanjrocha-albums-monocoque-gt-x-picture1231-img-3304.jpg

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/groups/studying-monocoque.html

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter

Work was almost finished on Alistair's rear inner shell but he has decided to add a wee bit more flaring to the arches for those 12" wheels.

Attachments

• IMG_4382.jpg
    IMG_4382.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 859

Doc Watson

Lifetime Supporter

Looks great.....You are now both nearly ready to paint so what colour are you and Alistair going for..... and how many times have you changed your minds.........

Good to see you back on the forum James.

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter

Hi Andrew,
Good to see you back too.
We have just been trying to get the things finished and never really got onto colour schemes but the liveries of both cars might be reverse combinations of navy blue and Womble white.

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter

The rear flares almost complete so now the long boarding begins.

Attachments

• IMG_4409.jpg
    IMG_4409.jpg
    269.4 KB · Views: 570
  • IMG_4411.jpg
    IMG_4411.jpg
    236.8 KB · Views: 611
  • IMG_4412.jpg
    IMG_4412.jpg
    211.4 KB · Views: 551
  • IMG_4414.jpg
    IMG_4414.jpg
    253.4 KB · Views: 576

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter

This afternoon I was waiting for my wife to pick up some more flamed maple from Michigan at the post office and she came back with this and the guitar wood.

My new 289 race flywheel all the way from a good mate of mine - it went around the world twice :laugh: so many thanks Peter for your persistance.
I owe you big time pal.

This steel billet is machined to an original FAV shop drawing for a small 10+" 117 teeth ring gear which I have.
The yellow cast is Cosmoline.

The wood also looks fantastic !

Attachments

• 115 TOOTH FLYWHEEL BILLET 01.jpg
    115 TOOTH FLYWHEEL BILLET 01.jpg
    376.5 KB · Views: 493
  • 115 TOOTH FLYWHEEL BILLET 02.jpg
    115 TOOTH FLYWHEEL BILLET 02.jpg
    351 KB · Views: 475
Last edited:

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter

James, what oil pan are you using? I dimly remember a lot of conversations about flywheels, ring gears, starters, and oil pans. I think the original ones were made by Aviaid- is that what you have? I found it was hard to get the pan rails to seal, if I recall right.

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter

Jim,
We have the Aviaids on and I remember the same conversation.
Some time ago, a couple of guys had issues with their crank ring seals fitting properly on them but I have not heard any more on it.
There is another proprietor out there who makes the pan, and they were good but I can't remember his name.

Back