Jimmymac & Alistair's Cars

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Well now, we installed the new hardened and polished rockers with accurate 1.6 ratios to the 289 and got another 20 HP on a second dyno.
So 390 HP is it.
fullsizeoutput_e1a.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_e1e.jpeg

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
GT/109 is on the block at Mecum and for some reason the write ups on the sale specifically mentioned the original Trico wiper in the restoration.
Here is one of ours.
I have sourced the replacement blades so there is no problem replicating the whole shebang.
s-l1600.jpg

Charlie Farley

Supporter
Hello Jimmy,

I too came across a rather large quantity of the dimpled blade rubbers, some time ago. I had the white nylon mounting components injection moulded, stainless rods machined and assembled around 6 so far. All gone to original chassis restorations.
Can i help ?

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
No thanks Andrew, presently we are happy with what we have.
I am thinking of doing these later in bar stock alloy as the grey plastic ones crack and don't last long.
fullsizeoutput_ada.jpeg

Markus

SPRF40
Lifetime Supporter
James,

Are you going for a internal hydraulic release bearing?

May I ask why?

1. Was that ever original?
2. Leak issues with that setup?

Maybe I'm misinterpretating the braided hose coming out of the bell housing.....

Markus

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Hallo Markus,

Yes indeed, we are using custom made HRBs.

I don't believe that they were used originally.
The car is a racer with a spare gearbox so the box will have regular changeovers and the original external slave / lever / rod / pin system is a bit too temperamental to setup and frankly we didn't really like the look of it.
I have all those original slave parts and will fit them as dummies on my own bellhousing.

Markus

SPRF40
Lifetime Supporter
James,

thanks for your reply.

Would you mind posting some pics of your custom made HRB - I'm just curious as this is a general topic around here and my HRB is currently developing a leak which I need to take care - I was thinking to convert back the original setup..... (I have collected some components but still need some more).

Sorry for the slight drift....

Regards
Markus

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
James,

thanks for your reply.

Would you mind posting some pics of your custom made HRB - I'm just curious as this is a general topic around here and my HRB is currently developing a leak which I need to take care - I was thinking to convert back the original setup..... (I have collected some components but still need some more).

Sorry for the slight drift....

Regards

Markus

Markus,

No worries.

We started with a modified Tilton 6000 HRB for the ZF then added an extra oil seal groove to the inner face of the threaded mounting sleeve to improve the seal on the gearbox outer casing.

This is what we started with :

It worked really well on the first engine set up..

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Good news this week for a change.:):)

When we installed alloy fuel tanks and we wanted small footprint senders in the fuel safe foam so decided to try modern VDO senders.
The shortest VDO dip tube sender is sold at 150mm and we had to shorten these a little to fit the sloping bottom of the tanks.

Then we got new artwork done for the dials and had the low ohm gauges custom made with VDO electronics and calibrated to the dip tubes.
Another issue is to make adapters for VDO 5 bolt to original Smiths 6 bolt fitting.

They were tested and work perfectly.

The gauges don't have the red plastic shrouds in yet. A little job for tonight.
IMG_1027.JPG

Doc Watson

Lifetime Supporter
Its pictures like this that help motivate me to get my sorry ass into the shed and move my build forward. As always James superb......

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
The new dash for the road car which has taken me ages. It's finally in primer and ready for painting and trimming.
After the Grady Davis first Gulf car P1049 with the two additional gauge pods and the fuse box.
I won't be fitting a clock but using an original fuel pressure gauge instead.

fullsizeoutput_ef9.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_ef6.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_ef8.jpeg

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I’m hoping that you will be fitting a remote fuel pressure isolator rather than running a pressure line into the cockpit. Granted 3-4 PSI is not a lot, but enough....
Two things I would sacrifice in regard to originality are directly fed Fuel Pressure and Amp Gauges...

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Randy,
Absolutely agree with you.
I will fit the fuel isolator at the engine side of the firewall and run a pressure line with glycerine or glycol to the instrument.
As regards the CAV ammeter, I intend to use a rare CAV 0-25v volt meter which is almost identical.

Back