Jimmymac & Alistair's Cars

How does the lower edge fit up to the chassis James. This is one angle that you don't normally see. It looks like you have the correct flange there to tie in with the bottom of the monocoque, is that what i am seeing.

Ryan

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Ryan,

FWIW - Yes, in my opinion.

However a lot of dashes on original cars did not fit properly as the bottom fibreglass skirt was poorly made to a full radius with no flat in the middle.
The curved front of the dash also has a lot of spring-back when it comes out of the mould and shortens the overall depth.

So these days we are now unfortunate to have the copies of original errors which are made worse because plug copies of fibreglass are usually undersized.

Photos of the fit on a couple of well known original cars below to offer my theory :

fullsizeoutput_f04.jpeg
HM 2008 008.jpg
HM 2008 009.jpg

Great photos James. It’s an angle you almost never see of these cars.
my dash, which I presume is ex KVA still has the angled front edge on top to meet the bottom of the windscreen frame but the lower edge is missing. Still trying to decide what I will do in that area. Given that I am quite tall some extra knee clearance would be nice.
Ryan

Great photos James. It’s an angle you almost never see of these cars.
my dash, which I presume is ex KVA still has the angled front edge on top to meet the bottom of the windscreen frame but the lower edge is missing. Still trying to decide what I will do in that area. Given that I am quite tall some extra knee clearance would be nice.
Ryan

I wouldn't worry about this Ryan, I'd sat in 3 original GT40s before I even noticed it :)

Regards,

Graham.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I love the nice crisp lines in your dash. Most the replica dashes are not very well defined, so if you have them flocked, they look even worse!

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Jim, is therre a page in your thread which shows the cars completed? I've admired what you are doing and wondered what stage you had reached in my absence, but I couldn't find photos on a quick review. Thank you.

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Jim,
Long time no hear but I trust you are well.

I have never used YouTube before so here is an unedited little movie of Alistair's car when he started her up for the first time.
There has been another engine change since this video was taken.

My car is still not finished yet so it's best to look at the thread to get an idea of what we have been up to.

Last edited:

Ed McClements

Supporter
Massive thread drift here.:D
My Vincent Black Shadow flywheels were delivered this morning.
Chuffed to bits with the quality of them, brand new like everything else on this scratch built bike.
View attachment 98770

My Uncle Brian had a Shadow-ised Vincent Rapide, lovingly restored by him over a number of years. The bike below isn't his (he died in 1997) but very similar.

00cf854356543d6e4bf73d53b9f72853.jpg

He had new stainless spindles made for the Girdraulic forks, but the clearances were too tight, and on a rippled section of tarmac on the South Circular the forks locked solid and threw him down the road. I still have his made-2-measure Lewis Leathers jacket with the patch repairs resulting from that "off". He always seemed like such a big guy...but I'm now finding the jacket a bit too snug!

Anyhow, you folk down-under can never leave well alone...see this gorgeous beauty:-

Irving+Vincent+2008+Daytona+Winner.jpg

Irving+Vincent+1600.jpg

Apologies for thread drift.

Neil

Supporter
My Uncle Brian had a Shadow-ised Vincent Rapide, lovingly restored by him over a number of years. The bike below isn't his (he died in 1997) but very similar.

00cf854356543d6e4bf73d53b9f72853.jpg

He had new stainless spindles made for the Girdraulic forks, but the clearances were too tight, and on a rippled section of tarmac on the South Circular the forks locked solid and threw him down the road. I still have his made-2-measure Lewis Leathers jacket with the patch repairs resulting from that "off". He always seemed like such a big guy...but I'm now finding the jacket a bit too snug!

Anyhow, you folk down-under can never leave well alone...see this gorgeous beauty:-

Irving+Vincent+2008+Daytona+Winner.jpg

Irving+Vincent+1600.jpg

Apologies for thread drift.

Eddy,

If they were close-fitting stainless spindles they probably galled, causing them to seize. Stainless on stainless is not a good idea in a dynamic application. Nice bike.

Hi Jim,
Long time no hear but I trust you are well.

I have never used YouTube before so here is an unedited little movie of Alistair's car when he started her up for the first time.
There has been another engine change since this video was taken.

My car is still not finished yet so it's best to look at the thread to get an idea of what we have been up to.

What happened to this engine? It sounds amazing haha. I want it.
I’m guessing these are period correct 289’s that you have in both of them? Has been a while since I read your blog so can’t remember I’m afraid.
Revs so fast!

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Hi James, I don't come here often but when I do it's to check in on your progress. Very happy to see the progress you have made. Wishing you and Alistair well and looking forward to seeing these cars roll out of the shop.

P2161 is living a great life these days and even gets to see some track time. It could not have found a better owner to look after her.
122288019_10217267902160773_3929448040806502164_o.jpeg
IMG_2069.jpg
IMG_2069.jpg

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Eddy,
Irvings are beautifully engineered aren't they.
It still amazes me that the basic twin engine design of these bikes is 60 years old.

My ambition with this one will be a rather slimmer version rather like this Decker HRD which is a road going artwork, however I will be using the later Shadow Girdraulic forks in aircraft billet alloy and something like Fontana or Laverda 10" magnesium drum brakes.

Most of my parts collection is based on the lightweight racing Lightning including the ported gears in the timing chest and there is not much else to find, the brakes and nice Boranis mostly.
As usual with the Vincent twins, there is bright machined stainless steel everywhere (including every visible screw) and my pedals and kick start etc. are all made in chrome molybdenum from lost wax castings using original parts (Mike Breeding USA).

It's also a single bun bike like this one but the Schwinn bicycle seat on here is not my practical ideal so I am making a lightweight alloy sprung frame saddle.

Notice the exhaust.

Hopefully this is the last post about bikes on our build log.

fullsizeoutput_5e9.jpeg

Back