Knock Out Punches!

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
OK Sherlock, my ipad has spell checker, my work computer not so much. We'll leave the alcohol laced posts to you.

Last edited:
SWMBO Francis does have a say here. I've caught him giving craik quotes from the guy who wrote the insipid US TV series, "West Wing." Get it, west = left, wink, wink!

SWMBO Francis does have a say here. I've caught him giving craik quotes from the guy who wrote the insipid US TV series, "West Wing." Get it, west = left, wink, wink!

Oooooooooooooooops! That should have been "her giving." Sorry my laptop has a gender checker, but my iPad doesn't, blush, blush.

How can we expect our children to learn anything, if we (often very opinionated) fellows need a spell checker to auto correct our diatribe?

Do some on here literally punch the keyboard with closed fists of rage, happily leaving it to Bill Gates' software to interpret what we actually mean?

Shocking and frankly a piss poor excuse.

Shouldn't that therefore be 'Frances' than and not Francis? (Genuine question, perhaps JC bats for the other team?)

Or has the correct use of that name also been bastardised by the lack of speelingk cheakers?

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Mark,

As someone who has spent my entire life with an almost total lack of the ability to spell, remember the alphabet or do most math, I do not see these modern advancements as "shocking or piss poor", I see them as a God-send!

Mark do you also see an abacus, dictionary and calculator as "shocking and frankly piss poor"?

Yes I do, if you use them as an alternative to learning/ excuse to avoid learning. Take the easy way! Shame.

I like to use a calculator, but I love knowing how to add up myself. Dictionary, of course. A valuable tool, but knowing words in the first place is a good place to start. English being what it is, we all know some spellings can be somewhat illogical and therfore worth looking up. I suppose you subscribe to a move to phonetic teaching in schools as a progressive march toward the horizon of the illiterate masses?

Abacus. See calculator.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Yes I do, if you use them as an alternative to learning.

I like to use a calculator, but I love knowing how to add up myself. Dictionary, of course. A valuable tool, but knowing words in the first place is a good place to start. English being what it is, we all know some speelings can be somewhat illogical. I suppose you subscribe to a move to phonetic teaching is schools as a progressive march toward the horizon of the illiterate masses?

Abacus. See calculator.

So Mark, do you see a wheelchair as cheating? After all, they could just as easly crawl!

Shouldn't that therefore be 'Frances' than and not Francis? (Genuine question, perhaps JC bats for the other team?)

Or has the correct use of that name also been bastardised by the lack of speelingk cheakers?

Mark, since my mother's name is "Frances," I am well aware of the gender correctness of that spelling. I'll leave it at that, and am relieved someone finally caught it!

Firstly, I apologise Jim, I edited my post slightly as were clearly typing your reply. The essence remains tough, so no harm no foul, I am sure you agree?

Jim, no one learns to be crippled do they. A wheel chair aids a person who is suffering. A spell checker simply allows one to be lazy. A very shaky comparison if you ask me.

I will concede that for some folk who have learning difficulties, spell checkers are a great thing.

Relying on them when there is no obvious and accepted learning difficulty afflicting a person, would place them in the lazy, sloppy, shameful catagory.

A person forced to use a wheel chair is certainly not lazy, sloppy or shameful for choosing not to crawl!

What annoys me is cashiers who plop the change in your hand because that's what the machine tells them it is.

Now, in my day, we'd say, "That's 9.35 out of twenty. 9.35, 9.40. 9.50, 9.75, 10, 20! Thank you very much!"

Yep, you spotted it Bob. Dumb down the great un-washed over many years to a level at which you can sell them on the theory of man made global warming ;)

You see? It worked! ;)

Just don't give them 10.02 when the bill is 8.27 is all I've got to say.

What do you mean "theory," the debate is over!

p.s. I always assumed that this site supplied its own spell checker.

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Guys...dyslexia is not a choice, it is (by definition):

"...A disorder of constitutional origin, manifested by an inability to learn to read, write or spell despite adequate cognitive skills, socio-economic opportunity, and conventional instruction".

By "constitutional origin", what is meant is that it is part of a person's genetic makeup when they are born. A true dyslexic can no more learn to do the things for which you ridicule Jim than they could change the color of their eyes, which is yet another issue of "constitutional origin".

Many other things are related to "constitutional origin"...for example, I have been losing my hair since my early 20's, and at 63 I am almost totally bald on the top of my head. That genetic pathway leads to my mother's father, not my father (who was bald only on the crown of his head).

I mention this knowing I will receive my fair share of ridicule for my hair (or, as I frequently mention, absence thereof) only because it is something that I could no more change than can Jim change his linguistic disorder.

I specialized in dyslexia during my career, and can tell you that because most indivicuals with dyslexia are of average intelligence (actually, most are of higher than average intelligence, which seems to make the disorder that much more puzzling to the uninformed) they can be taught to compensate for the disorder, which apparently Jim is doing with current technology, but once a dyslexic, always a dyslexic (for life), so to speak :sad:

Bash on, if you will....if you must....I just wanted you to know Jim's posts are not fraught with spelling and linguistic mistakes because he is lazy. We all make the occasional typo mistake...such is not the problem for Jim, it is the alpha-numeric symbol code disruption in his "constitutional makeup", which is related to genetics and not at all to his level of effort.

Cheers!

Doug

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Firstly, I apologise Jim, I edited my post slightly as were clearly typing your reply. The essence remains tough, so no harm no foul, I am sure you agree?

Jim, no one learns to be crippled do they. A wheel chair aids a person who is suffering. A spell checker simply allows one to be lazy. A very shaky comparison if you ask me.

A person forced to use a wheel chair is certainly not lazy, sloppy or shameful for choosing not to crawl!

Mark, thanks for your compassion!

Mark, a dictionary is just a spell checker with an 17th century search engine.

I did not choose to have Dyslexia, I would love to be able to spell, do math and remember peoples names.

No mater what you think, using a dictonary, abacus or name tags it is not lazy, sloppy or shameful!

Mark, help me out here, what do you mean by "The essence remains tough, so no harm no foul"

Last edited:
How can we expect our children to learn anything, if we (often very opinionated) fellows need a spell checker to auto correct our diatribe?

Do some on here literally punch the keyboard with closed fists of rage, happily leaving it to Bill Gates' software to interpret what we actually mean?

Shocking and frankly a piss poor excuse.

Sorry Mark if you are serious, (is using "piss poor" when talking about what our children should learn irony?) I cannot agree, as despite an expensive education I cannot spell either, and rely heavily on spell checkers.

You may think it a "piss poor" excuse, but mine has also been given to me via a cousin by medical experts.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TW7t5qXi_dg[/ame]

Last edited:
Seriously guys, I didn't know Jim was Dyslexic. I was arguing, apparently as poorly as usual, that there is a tendency to use technology in a way that is lazy. Jim broguht up wheel chair users, I thought that an odd comparison. And we all know there are movements withing schools toward phonics.

I shall apologise for any offence caused by my ill thought out words and withdrawn on the subject, as clearly to critisise generally, is to offend the minority. Such was not my intention.

I will say this though, should I ever discover that people have feigned a condition simply to maintain a position, I will not be a happy bunny. Not that anyone should care.

Back