Knock Out Punches!

Seriously guys, I didn't know Jim was Dyslexic. I was arguing, apparently as poorly as usual, that there is a tendency to use technology in a way that is lazy. Jim broguht up wheel chair users, I thought that an odd comparison. And we all know there are movements withing schools toward phonics.

I shall apologise for any offence caused by my ill thought out words and withdrawn on the subject, as clearly to critisise generally, is to offend the minority. Such was not my intention.

I will say this though, should I ever discover that people have feigned a condition simply to maintain a position, I will not be a happy bunny. Not that anyone should care.

Thanks Mark,

To avoid any confusion I have never been diagnosed dyslexic but have always struggled with spelling, and always thought it was me being lazy.

My cousin who is somewhat more cerebral than me looked into the family history of bad spelling, and was told by medical experts that you can be genetically wired for bad spelling (if that is the correct term).

No real harm done it's just words

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJ0nFQgRApY[/ame]

Last edited:

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Mark,

Your apology is accepted, thank you. You are not alone, we (Dyslexics) spend our whole life being ridiculed by folks who do not understand. They say you are smart you could do this if you just tried.........................we cant!

Doug, Nick,

Thanks for chiming in and thanks for your support, that means alot to me.

Doug, thanks for taking an interest in Dyslexics during your teaching carrer, it can make a huge difference in peoples lives.

My early schooling was just a horror. Imagine not being able to read, spell, do math, remember the teaches name or remember my friends names. I was considered to be "dumb or lazy", I knew I was not lazy, so I must be dumb.

Around the time of High School, I realized that except for a few areas, I was actually very smart. Additionally people started to better understand the problems we have and helped with ways to get around what we could not do. They cut me some slack and that was all I needed!

By the time I reached the University level, there were Professors that not only understood, but went out of their way to look for and work with Dyslexics. We can be an intersting bunch.

These Professors did not care how things were spelt, only what was said. In the days before spell checkers many of them allowed me to give term papers orally..........

Thanks to these wonderful, careing folks and the unending support of my parents, I was able to earn two degrees and have a very, very successful career.

Last edited:

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Here is someone we all know, being interviewd about his trials with our gift. And it is a gift.

Real A interviews Sir Jackie Stewart - YouTube

► 9:55► 9:55
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUUQdPU1XBoFeb"]www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUUQdPU1XBoFeb[/ame] 16, 2010 - 10 min - Uploaded by hecticbeatsrecords
Sir Jackie Stewart is one of the truly great men of our time.

Dyslexics tend to be big picture folks, tend to be self sufficient, we tend to think outside the box and tend to be defensive (who would think).

Some noted Dyslexics:

Edison flunked the forth grade.

Einstein, also flunked the fourth grade, his teachers said he was retarded.

Alexander Grahm Bell

Winston Churchill

Henery Ford

There are many many more, but you get the idea.

Last edited:
Time to see who has the real Knock Out Punch!

Democrats V Republicans the British way

As I (like many others no doubt) think it is time I took another sabbatical from the politics I thought I should leave you with a proposal. No need to thank me.

I would like to propose a way to finally prove once and for all who is better Democrats or Republicans, by a team from each camp competing in the Penguin game

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_X8EhnwM9g]Jeux sans Frontieres-The Penguin Game - YouTube[/ame]

or maybe this way

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iKmk5LATCs[/ame]

Last edited:

Keith

Fuk mi yes!

Let us all dumb down to the lowest level of human ability so that no one feels left out.

What was I thinking? That only the strong survive?

That is total reactionary Darwinism at it's most fundamental. :thumbsdown:

This is NOT what made America great. What made America great from the very beginning is that they compassionately gave the Cherokee nation a container of water per 100 tribal members when they resettled them.

Good job the consevatives weren't running things then eh?

Last edited:

Keith

Nick, thanks for posting that. It amply describes the European Community even now.

I miss that show and Stewart Hall's genuine mirth was absolutely addictive, until he "interfered" with a very young girl in a swimming pool that is.

But yes, Europe at it's absolute best - where we took the piss out of foreigners but they didn't seem to notice - even now I cannot believe how delighted they were to win (of course GB never won anything because WE never took it seriously like they did).

I do hope you were not mocking the US election race though Nick, were you? :shocked:

Here is someone we all know, being interviewd about his trials with our gift. And it is a gift.

Real A interviews Sir Jackie Stewart - YouTube

► 9:55► 9:55
www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUUQdPU1XBoFeb 16, 2010 - 10 min - Uploaded by hecticbeatsrecords
Sir Jackie Stewart is one of the truly great men of our time.

Dyslexics tend to be big picture folks, tend to be self sufficient, we tend to think outside the box and tend to be defensive (who would think).

Some noted Dyslexics:

Edison flunked the forth grade.

Einstein, also flunked the fourth grade, his teachers said he was retarded.

Alexander Grahm Bell

Winston Churchill

Henery Ford

There are many many more, but you get the idea.
Jim Oh i get the idea alright, you're our very own political Winstein church-bell:thumbsup:

Keith

Dadblame you dun it agin! Stop quoting that stuff! Anyhow, I jist caught a glimpse of somone called Henery, so, in 'is honour your honour, 'ave a gander at this little gem:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GisCRxREDkY"]Herman's Hermits "I'm Henry VIII, I Am" on The Ed Sullivan Show - YouTube[/ame]

Keith

The Master at Work:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2nI_3VBEtA&feature=related"]Stanley Unwin On Parkinson - Oh Follock! Deep Joy! Unwinese dictioary now vailabole on 4Shared - YouTube[/ame]

Keith

You must be referring to Blair's version Ian - that was the worst kind of political nonsense to be foisted onto an unsuspecting public since the Woolsack was knitted.

However, I have a soft spot for the old and quaint "proper" labour with it's deep thinking pipe smoking intellectual lunacy.

Benn is a particular favourite of mine - you just do not come across towering intellects of that kind any more, whatever his flavour of politics.

I believe Kinnock killed that particular brand, and like Ying and Yang we need proper balance in our political spectrum, so someone should reinvent it.

I do not now believe that the so called "private sector" can run things better and I do not also believe that what might give "shareholders value" is in any way beneficial to the public at large.

I do not know what you call this political stance (I hate labels) but we should:

Re nationalise all forms of public transport
Re nationalise energy production and supply
Raise income tax to a level which reflects our welfare needs & expectations
Double Govt investment into job creation particularly with regard to young entrepreneurs.
Bring back Grammar schools.
Re introduce a mandatory National Service for ALL British Citizens.
Renegotiate our membership of the "EU"
Massively expand the British Bank (or Peoples Bank) idea.

Just a few of my pet subjects, but I do not know what "flavour" that makes me, nor do I care. Maybe it's a new flavour?

God knows, we need one.

To be fair Keith, and having been quite heavily involved in politics in my youth, I think this shows that being in opposition is the easiest job in the world, (American cousins please take note).

You can promise the earth, "Read my lips: no new taxes", another broken promise that won an election; when you get into power the reality sets in. I have never voted labour in my life but after years of Conservative government, when I was ok but many others less fortunate suffered, I had great hopes for Blair.

I also believe he came to power with great intentions, and he certainly helped the less fortunate in our country, Sure Start being one scheme they got absolutely right. Just bad for everyone when in the end it went so wrong.

However, if there were an election tomorrow Labour would have a great chance of getting back in, people have short memories, and the Liberal Democrat party would be decimated.

Getting into power is not always the smartest move in politics. :)

I do not know what you call this political stance (I hate labels) but we should:

Re nationalise all forms of public transport
Re nationalise energy production and supply
Raise income tax to a level which reflects our welfare needs & expectations
Double Govt investment into job creation particularly with regard to young entrepreneurs.
Bring back Grammar schools.
Re introduce a mandatory National Service for ALL British Citizens.
Renegotiate our membership of the "EU"
Massively expand the British Bank (or Peoples Bank) idea.

Just a few of my pet subjects, but I do not know what "flavour" that makes me, nor do I care. Maybe it's a new flavour?

God knows, we need one.

Well 5 out of 8 is a good attempt :laugh: always leave room for improvement;)

Last edited:
I would like to hear more Keith, here are my thoughts (as if you care) ;)

Considering points 1 & 2. How do you feel these goals could be acheived in the real world? If they are practicably acheivable, exactly why do you believe a nationalised version would be 'better'?

I tend to baulk at 3. I believe that enough money is already raised to adequately fund all our 'realistic' needs, if not the idealistic ones. All we need do is re-structure the NHS/Welfare to reduce the incredible bad management and red-tape and cut back massively on the multi-layered political behemoth we laughingly refer to as 'government'.

Point 4. Really? How could we fund, through taxation, the investment such as you suggest? Most young 'entrepreneurs' are doomed to failure with or without government backing. Have you seen some of the idiots on Dragon's Den? If they won't back them, why should I through Taxes?

5, 6 & 7 Absolutley.

8. In principal this has legs. But notice the other day how convoluted the structure is already, with regard to lending to SME businesses? Will the bank actually lend to business? Well no. Not exactly, it will just buy up crappy debt from mainstream banks to supposedly free them up and encourage them to do the actual lending! Will these people ever learn from their mistakes?

Like you, I don't know what flavour that makes me and do I care? Not really.

Tony Benn. Epic intelect. A true gentleman. Even though I disagreed with almost everything he said the man is a legend and to be forever admired in my book. I agree, we all could do with more people like that in government, instead of all these cheesy little wanna-be celebrity w*nkers.

Keith

I care Mark, I'm just a bit tired and not too well at the moment (playing sympathy card here ;)) but very briefly, I believe that transport and power are fundamental to a nation's economic health and it should NOT be put into the hands of foreign investment institutions which may not have our national interests at heart. How do we achieve it?

With balls of steel mate.

There is so much wrong with the welfare system. My sister is 70 years old, lives on a brand new canal boat which she has had custom built to order, gets over £2,000 private & state pension per month, and still receives over £300 per year "cold weather payments". So does Sir Alan Sugar.

As for NHS, ban health tourism for starters, then sack all the admin wankers that make up 60% of the NHS workforce. I could go on but like I say I am tired right now. I'll get back tomorrow with some personal observations.

By the way anything I know is from experience not from Google.

Back