Kurtiss' GT-R

Kurtiss a quick question on the Graz install it appears RCR does not include the alignment pins from their engine to Graz adapter plate I assume you may have made them yourself

Steven Lobel

Supporter
Kurtiss a quick question on the Graz install it appears RCR does not include the alignment pins from their engine to Graz adapter plate I assume you may have made them yourself

Mine came with everything. They had my motor at the shop and assembled the whole thing, then split it for pallet and shipping. There was an oops at the factory and the motor/transaxle were not put in the car. Fran shipped them separate bolted to a pallet, nicely done.

Kurtiss H.

Supporter
Larry, my car was shipped with the transaxle and engine adapter plate. After receiving the throwout bearing, flywheel, clutch, ring gear and starter, I was missing the following hardware:
  • Adapter to engine bolts (McMaster Carr)
  • Starter bolts
  • Flywheel bolts
  • Clutch bolts
  • Throwout bearing bolts
  • Engine dowels (sleeve guides) (need 2 each)
You can purchase the dowels and bolts from your local VW dealer. All the part numbers and quantities should be listed in my post #34.

Thanks Kurtiss yes already ordered hardware from McMaster Carr I was really curious about the dowels for the trans to adapter plate thanks for the info

Kurtiss on page 6 of your Graz install you talk about O-Rings for the throw out bearing my kit was not shipped with any O-rings and where exactly will these O-Rings go, the throw out bearing already has an O-Ring installed is it the two indent grooves one round and one oval on the mating service of the input shaft.

Kurtiss H.

Supporter
Hi Larry,
Yes, in the mating surface (see attached image, yellow areas). I'm sorry, I do not know the part numbers of the o-rings.

Release Bearing 1.jpg

Kurtiss good morning how are you making out with the build any updates I just figured out my game plan for the Turbo plumbing so off to spend more money

Kurtiss H.

Supporter
Hi Larry, I'll be posting updates soon.

This project reminds me of when I built my '86 Jeep CJ7 for off-road adventures and a little rock climbing. JEEP - Just Empty Every Pocket!

463035_3470671659441_1969336453_o.jpg

Kurtiss H.

Supporter
Hi Larry,
The GT-R does come with a fuel tank, swirl tank, fuel sending unit and filler check valve but does not include pumps, filters, pressure regulators, hoses, fittings, etc. You can get a smokin' deal on a Superlite SLC Fuel System Kit from Rufus that's posted in the Garage Sale thread or build your own.

My Borla Eightstack system specifies 47 lbs/hr @ 39 psi.

Last edited:

Kurtiss H.

Supporter
I installed a set of Hella side marker lights (P/N 008138821) at the front and rear of the car. The marker lights come with a template for cutting a hole in the body panel. I then used a router attachment on my Dremel to cut a recess into the body to provide a professional look.

A03B6894.jpgA03B6904.jpgA03B6907.jpgA03B7619.jpg

Kurtiss H.

Supporter
To simplify the heater hose routing, I decided to weld 5/8” nipples to the radiator lines at the front of the car and install the Vintage Air electronically controlled heater control valve. This leaves more room at the engine compartment for other items. I’ll install a heater bypass hose to keep the water flowing at the engine. The existing heater lines in the tunnel will be removed later.

A03B6824.jpgA03B7625.jpg

Kurtiss H.

Supporter
I installed a Stroud 5lb FE-36 fire suppression system. I located the bottle behind the passenger seat and routed one line to the dash and the other to the engine compartment. I do not plan to race the car - just wanted a little extra insurance. I will also mount a portable fire extinguisher near the driver’s seat later in the build.

A03B7615.jpgA03B7613.jpgA03B7610.jpg

Kurtiss H.

Supporter
My good friend, Rufus Mathews, mentioned that my brake Residual Pressure valves may be installed backwards. The arrows normally point in the direction of flow but the arrows stamped on my valves were opposite of those of other valves of the same design. I replaced the Superlite supplied Residual Pressure valves with Wilwood valves that are clearly marked. Thanks Rufus!

A03B7627.jpg

Ken Roberts

Supporter
To simplify the heater hose routing, I decided to weld 5/8” nipples to the radiator lines at the front of the car and install the Vintage Air electronically controlled heater control valve. This leaves more room at the engine compartment for other items. I’ll install a heater bypass hose to keep the water flowing at the engine. The existing heater lines in the tunnel will be removed later.

View attachment 95418View attachment 95419

Just a heads up about your 5/8" heater lines tapped into the radiator pipes. You will definitely have poor circulation with them mounted at a 90 degree. I looked into doing the same and was warned against it. Andy did the same but his are mounted at an angle to the rad pipes and placed strategically at bends where the flow will be somewhat forced into the heater nipples.

Here is Andys picture....second one in the post. https://www.gt40s.com/threads/h-craft-gt-r.49926/page-2#post-506587

Last edited:

Kurtiss H.

Supporter
Ken and Ian,
I appreciate your input. Your right, it's not an efficient way to obtain flow through the heater core and mounting the nipples at an angle would provide better flow. I live in the southwest and I'm not as concerned about heating the interior as I am cooling. In the future, if the current configuration doesn't provide the heat necessary to keep the passengers comfortable during the winter months, I'll change it.

Kurtiss

Back