M20 Dreaming

Leon,
I was at Mecham's auction at Monterey last week and did my best to acquire Peter Revson's M20 so we could do some track days together! Of course I was out of the bidding rather early as I only came up 1,999,999 USD short of the winning bid of 2,000,000 USD. Seems odd to me that some yahoo will regularly spend 6 million on some semi-rare Ferrari but when a one of 3 (?) remaining M20 comes up for sale the thing barely brings 2 mill.

Took a few pictures but have not downloaded them yet.
Cheers
Rob

Thanks guys, I think they might just about do John they are only 26s I could go 27s but they don't come much wider than that, they are 18 1/4" at the beads as they sit so should stretch to the 19" rims Ok.
Rob, good to see you are still watching, I did check on the price of the M20, I was thinking 2mil + so not far off makes me wonder what a good replica would be worth when you see Lola T70 coupe replicas for over US$200K and M8F replicas for similar money and they aren't that rare. As for the difference in a Can-Am to an old F1 or Le Mans car the only reason I see is there are a lot less people aware or enthused about the cars maybe, for me personally I much rather a very Rare Can-Am car. I hope to get down to the workshop today and get the last little touches done on the T/A pattern and then while I'm waiting for the Casting I will continue at the front of the car and get the left side upright and brakes done. Not too much left to do there.

Cheers Leon.

19 inch rims.....yummmm. maybe I'll have you cast a set for me just to have laying around! But knowing me I'd come up with some lame excuse to build something to put them on :)

Interesting note: The Revson car for sale "only" had 17 inch rubber on the wheels, no telling on how wide the rims actually were.

The M8F used 17" wheels but M20 used 19s I also read I think it was in Pete Lyons book that the Chaparal at one point went to 22" wide rears I wonder if Goodyear made some special tyres just for them. The tyres on that car should have been 27-16.5-15 and the tyres I have are 26-15.5-15. The 16.5 is actual tread width and the side walls are stretched out like the Drift guys do so there minimal lateral movement. The front tyres on my car are 23-10.5-15 and I have them on a 12" wide wheel, they should really be on 11" but my choice for those shells were 10s or 12s, I work on the "Big is Better" and "Biggest is Best" system :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Cheers Leon.

28-17-15 according to the sidewall. Interesting that the owner didn't fix the odd shape of the left rear wheel opening. Maybe it was a Mclaren repair that they didn't want to change due to some originality concern (?)

Attachments

• 20140814_145143.jpg
    20140814_145143.jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 296
  • 20140814_145437.jpg
    20140814_145437.jpg
    229.9 KB · Views: 290
  • 20140814_145545.jpg
    20140814_145545.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 299
  • 20140814_145629.jpg
    20140814_145629.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 267
The different wheel arch on the Revson car didn't come from McLaren, it doesn't appear on the car until the "Carling Black Label" time when David Hobbs drove the car. Its interesting the subtle difference's between the 3 cars. The second Hulme car which is M20-03 is the most unchanged of the 3 from how it ran in McLaren Team trim. M20-02 (the first Hulme car) was repaired and became the Andretti Turbo car, it has a different roll bar and the Radiator intakes stick out about 2" more than the other 2 cars, all 3 cars have different dash boards and the -02 car also ran a "Wisman" Trans while it was Turboed and for some time after if not still. I have been working on the rear suspension top mount today and will do the lower mount before I send the T/A pattern off. Unlike the Hewland which has the mounts on the side plate's I have made my mount to bolt to the flat area on the top of the diff section more like how the GT40s mount on the ZF, once I have it complete I'll put more photos up

Cheers Leon.

Hey guys, I have been busy with suspension's the last week I now have the front complete and painted, the rear complete and painted. I still have to do the hub on the left front and finish the final mounts for the steering rack, it needs to be 5mm lower to clear some chassis structures. I now have to get my T/A case and bell housing cast so I can bolt it all together and I will finally have a rolling chassis (less wheels) The photos show it at full droop, there is 2" droop and 2" compression at 3" ride height I'm allowing 1" of tyre squash before it scape's its bottom. I read where when fully fuelled they often rubbed the tops of rivets under the car

Attachments

• Front Suspension 01.jpg
    Front Suspension 01.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 260
  • Front suspension 02.jpg
    Front suspension 02.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 248
  • Front suspension 03.jpg
    Front suspension 03.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 236
  • Front suspension 04.jpg
    Front suspension 04.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 243
  • Front suspension 05.jpg
    Front suspension 05.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 223
  • Front suspension 06.jpg
    Front suspension 06.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 265
Last edited:
I've read something about titanium sacrificial rubbing strips underneath somewhere once.

Leon your workmanship looks as if it exceeds Can-Am standards. Well done .

Z.C.

Thanks guys,

Terry: I'm sending the trans and BH to the foundry next week so when they come back it will be all steam ahead on the T/A. Once it is machined I will do the front engine plate and the back stays from the roll bar to the engine so I will be able to locate it all in place and fit all the rear suspension up and I have my basic rolling chassis. The radiator side pods and fuel cells are really the only major stuff left on the tub and then its the small stuff that takes the time, brakes, brake and clutch lines, fuel line, wiring etc. these I will potter around with over time but the real push will be on the Body which I hope to start early in the new year. So hopefully some real changes to be seen over the next 4 - 6 months. I really feel like I'm getting somewhere now.

Cheers Leon.

Looks real good Leon, When I saw the rear upright I couldnt remember you making them so I went back.

Did you make your die out of wood for the uprights ?, you got a pic.
I am designing some at the moment and want to cast them.

Jim

Hi Jim.
I made my pattern for the upright from cardboard, duct tape and a piece of PVC pipe. Then lots of bog to give it a strong hard structure. I'm going to do some hollow core ones and will use the same pattern but make it 2 piece like I have done with the T/A pattern. Also I made the hub area way too thick so will change that as well so I can use something like the Corvette drive hubs. This is the only pic's I have of the pattern and the as cast upright but I could get some next time I'm in the workshop.

Cheers Leon

Attachments

• McLaren Project 011.jpg
    McLaren Project 011.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 271
  • McLaren Project 008.jpg
    McLaren Project 008.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 245
  • McLaren Project 009.jpg
    McLaren Project 009.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 232
  • McLaren Project 010.jpg
    McLaren Project 010.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 215
Last edited:
I would agree that the Vette hubs seem to have a very limited life span (at least in the C5-6) era) when used in high HP or high cornering load applications. Maybe there is a better option out there.

That is interesting to hear that, I thought they would be the bees knees. Maybe I'll just stick with what I have, I know they will be strong and have large taper bearings so will last as well. Keeping in mind this is not a road car that will do thousands of miles. It will probably do 10hrs running a year if you think 20 lap races (F5000 59s at Hampton Downs) maybe 3 in a day 10 times a year and I think that would be well used.
Doing some finishing touches to the T/A pattern again today really want to get it to the foundry this week. Started to remount the rack as well, couple of small issues to overcome there but shouldn't be too hard.

Cheers Leon.

FWIW the TVR runs vette bearings front & rear, they have been problem free since 2002/4 when installed, but then its only got 8" wide rims & Hoosier dot tires.

Dropped the T/A pattern off to the foundry this morning, they say I should have it back before the 29th which is when I have to go back to work. These guys do all the Hollinger cases and while I was there John showed me the New moulds for the Transaxle that "Flat Chat" posted about yesterday and they also do "Albins" cases as well so these guys know what they are doing so I'm hoping to have a nice piece of alloy soon. I did some more work on the rear suspension this avo and it's now ready for when I have the trans installed. some pics of the finished Pattern

Cheers Leon

Attachments

• IMG_2670.jpg
    IMG_2670.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG_2671.jpg
    IMG_2671.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG_2672.jpg
    IMG_2672.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_2673.jpg