Mazda 20 B engine in SL-C

The IC pipes are nice and short....I like that!

There is another handle by the shifter...is that the e-brake?

You are screaming along here....

The detail work is really great.

rick

The straight up and down shifter is 1-5 gears, the one on the side angel is reverse.

I have a Mendeola 5 speed sequential gear box, way cool, shifts like a motorcycle.

I've been studying 13B's and 20B's for aircraft application for quite a few years, but I don't have any practical knowledge of them. To me, it seems the intake manifold and turbo/exhaust pipe are pretty close together. In an aircraft you baffle the cowling to get direct airflow in this area, but in a automobile, is a heat shield between these two not necessary?

It would seem that if you were coming off a hard run and came to a stop there could be problems at idle. Are my concerns just newbie concerns?

I am going to put a U shaped piece of aluminum around the turbo to help with the hear, there isnt a 1/16 of a inch between the turbo and the manifold or the frame rail and the other side but I will put a shield in there.

I am making my close out panels now, gas tank cover, then air scoops the the shield.

The turbo is a T 8 which they say is big, but thats what its designed for so ill find out here in the next month.

Just finished with the primer, will sand tomorrow, and next weekend ill paint. Made a mess in the shop, just finished washing everything down and wiping off tables, etc.

So tempted to run it up and down my driveway 70 degrees here tomorrow but will sand. Here are some pictures.

Attachments

• DSCF0640.jpg
    DSCF0640.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 286
  • DSCF0641.jpg
    DSCF0641.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 293
  • DSCF0642.jpg
    DSCF0642.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 271
  • DSCF0643.jpg
    DSCF0643.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 293
  • DSCF0644.jpg
    DSCF0644.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 288
  • DSCF0645.jpg
    DSCF0645.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 322
  • DSCF0639.jpg
    DSCF0639.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 339
Changed the gauges around, made a console, insulated the back, etc.

Painting the first color, base coat grey Saturday, Sunday finish it up hopefully.

Was driving it around in the driveway today, when it goes into boost, just lite the wheels up 1-2-3 gears, was all I could do before I had to stop. Cant wait, next week it will be on the road for the first shake down and injecting tuning.

Attachments

• DSCF0649.jpg
    DSCF0649.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 355
  • DSCF0648.jpg
    DSCF0648.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 331
  • DSCF0645.jpg
    DSCF0645.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 297
Was driving it around in the driveway today, when it goes into boost, just lite the wheels up 1-2-3 gears, was all I could do before I had to stop.
Seeing as how you are relatively new around these parts, let me be the first to tell you some of the rules.

Rule #1: Pics and video or it didn't happen

Congrats Gary. You are certainly flying through the build.

I have 2 PLC's, like little computers on the car, the center screen is a touch screen, which will start the car, turn on all the fans, coolers, charging, fuel pump etc. With this I can just turn over the motor without starting, manually turn on all the fans for the radiators, oil coolers, charging system, the manual starting motor is helpful to put it on the lift without starting the car, sometimes im out of umph to push it up the ramp on the lift at the end of the day. The seconds PLC I have the wiring from the steering column going to, so wipers, bright and dim lights, blinkers, horn, the horn is actually the light flash since I take the steering wheel off to get in run thru this plc, dont have to worry about led's blinker flashers stuff like that. The reverse lights go on from a proximity switch when the reverse shifter when moved forward, im just use to using this stuff so its not hard. The ISIS I would of used, but they dont give the programming software out, so you are at there mercy to have them program something different, plus I would need 3 of them, I am using 26 inputs from various circuits and 20 outputs, 16 relays and a couple starter solinoids.

I control how the brake lights are on, they flash 3 times then stay on, the blinkers on each side blink morse code letters different on each side is the easiest way to describe it, things like that I use them for.

The touch screen is also security if you want it, punch in a code, or you can have a finger print scanner, etc. But I really dont think anybody is going to steal it, maybe put it on flat bed to steal it, but its insured.

Saturday and Sunday painting, Saturday is the base coat of grey, then Sunday is black and red.

Been buzzing it up and down the driveway, doing 360's with it, up to 4 in a row, like a amusement ride, but want to make sure as best I can nothing is rubbing, shorting out, sticking, etc before I put the body on.

Like driving a go kart.

I run Idec PLC's and there touch screen system,12 volt, yes I do all my own programming, ladder logic, pretty simple stuff for the car. If you buy a kit from Idec, you can get the software, touch screen, programing cable, and plc with 15 inputs, 11 outputs for around 800.00.

Wow, awesome build.
I tried to play a few of the startup sound tracks. Were any of them playable?
ive got a Rotor-head neighbor and woudl love to play that sound....

Just finished painting it. What a mess, but here are the pictures. 4 days I can start wet sanding it the on the car it goes.

Attachments

• DSCF0658.jpg
    DSCF0658.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 370
  • DSCF0666.jpg
    DSCF0666.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 315
  • DSCF0673.jpg
    DSCF0673.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 335
  • DSCF0674.jpg
    DSCF0674.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 312
  • DSCF0678.jpg
    DSCF0678.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 331
Just finished painting it. What a mess, but here are the pictures. 4 days I can start wet sanding it the on the car it goes.

Wow. That's gotta be the most elaborate paint job on an SLC I've seen so far. It will be fascinating to see the car when it is on the ground, with the wheels, detailing and so forth done.

Wow. That's gotta be the most elaborate paint job on an SLC I've seen so far. It will be fascinating to see the car when it is on the ground, with the wheels, detailing and so forth done.

+1 :thumbsup:

Are you planning to add any more details? Pinstripes where the colors meet? Decals?

Either way...it's gonna be a very cool car.

Back