Mclaren M8b replica (visual)

Thanks for that Jac, been doing most of the cutting outside as I have not built my ` dust tent`. Will be wearing a mask once inside and sanding.
Cheers

Hi
Been busy in my cave turning good wood and filler into dust!
Starting to see some shape now, boy there have been a few hours put in to get to this stage and I am sure many more to get it ready to mold from.
Hope everyone has been good and got there Santa sack out, our will be a quiet one with Carol getting her next round of chemo on Dec the 28th...good to think that we are halfway thru and no major adverse effects.
Seasons greetings to all.
Cheers Russell

Attachments

• DSCF3012.jpg
    DSCF3012.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 272
  • DSCF3013.jpg
    DSCF3013.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 265
Seasons greeting from down south...
Thought i better show some more progress seen its holiday time...being semi retired means its all just the same.
I am just about all done with major construction work so will soon be onto spot filling and lots of fine sanding. Just fitted the two side door scoops in the last few days and it beginning to look like a car, the blending in of the front radiator top panel to the guards involved a whack of filling and sanding so its about as good as its going to get. This whole project has been quite an eye opener and I can only compare my effort to Fred`s Lola T70 molds...his was massive in comparison. So far I have been at this for over a month now so decided to go for a drive this afternoon instead. Really looking forward to getting some undercoat on this plus so that I can really see what I have. One thing is for certain, the workshop, despite precautions is going to need a major spring clean. That can wait till next year!!!!
Cheers and Happy new year

Attachments

• DSCF3019.jpg
    DSCF3019.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 251
  • DSCF3021.jpg
    DSCF3021.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 261
  • DSCF3018.jpg
    DSCF3018.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 255
  • DSCF3020.jpg
    DSCF3020.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 269
That is looking good Russell, that dust just goes everywhere doesn't it.
Have good New Year and looking forward to what we will all achieve in 2016.
Once I get the Trans and stuff finished for John I will be back to my Body and hopefully glass on it soon.

Cheers Leon

Hi there
Got the first coat of hi build sanding undercoat, a product called Duratec. Really smelly stuff so the neighbours will love me. This should fine sand down to 400 grit and then polish off leaving an excellent surface to mould from.
This all represents some 30 plus days of getting from a pile of wood to a shape that can be recognised, I doubt if I would do it again, what with the dust, mess and all my finger prints sanded off. Still there was no other way to obtain a body mould. I will put the mould buck on Trademe to get rid of it, would make a great static display with a little effort as I only have spare storage space for the completed moulds.
Away for a few days now in the motorhome whilst it all hardens up.
Cheers

Attachments

• DSCF3034.jpg
    DSCF3034.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 288
  • DSCF3036.jpg
    DSCF3036.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 233
  • DSCF3038.jpg
    DSCF3038.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 245
Great job! well done and no mucking about, Wow 30 days that is impressive. How many hours a day roughly??

Cheers Leon

Leon
I started on the 25th November +- and worked pretty solid sometimes 7 to 8 hour days, time out included a few days around Christmas Day and Carol`s chemo on the 28th. I have been making the most of Carol being `housebound` so there has been no socializing to get in the way, I consider myself lucky being given the time available. I reckon that there is a few more hours fine sanding and a couple of more undercoats along the top edge radius as I can see a few `stages in a couple of areas. the more time I spend perfecting it, the less time I will need to spend on the final body that's puled from my moulds. Some people ask why? ...well there is no other way to get the car we want. At least this time, I will end up with the ability to reproduce replacements if needed. The last 3 days have been a pleasure touring around the Coromandel...what a beautiful place we share.
What materials have I used..
16mm custom wood for the profiles....free
4mm custom wood for the sides and top form...$20.00
Polystyrene foam for shaping....free
6 bottles of timber glue...$175.00
5 tins of Bondi filler...$250.00
2 tins of super fine body filler...$110.00
4 ltrs of Acetone...$35.00
4 ltrs of Duratec high build undercoat...$135.00
filters / overalls / bits...$30.00
Total cost approx. $755.00 +-
Cheers
Russell

Just started sanding the Duratec hi build primer.....really easy to work, edges don`t cut thru and a smooth surface comes easy. Best product I have ever used.
Cheers

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
I loved it, but a bit expensive. I think I went through about 4 gallons, of which about 3-1/2 went onto the floor as sanding dust. Excellent sanding properties, but very heavy, so I kept the thickness down to a minimum on the fiberglass.

Hi there
After all this sanding, a friend and I have decided to take the plunge and go to the 50th CanAm reunion at Laguna Seca in August, we plan on flying into LA and grabbing a rental and driving up the coast to Laguna Seca arriving on the Thursday and spending 2 or 3 days at the track. Then our time is free and we will do the sites, aircraft displays and what ever else we can think of before flying out of LA some 10 days later.
So...we are looking for suggestions for places of interest, maybe even a drag meeting or something.
Your thoughts
Cheers
The picture attached is 2 min walk from my shed.

Attachments

• DSCF3058.jpg
    DSCF3058.jpg
    216.4 KB · Views: 202
  • DSCF3055.jpg
    DSCF3055.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 159

Brian Stewart
Supporter
Monterey Bay Aquarium is worth a visit, as is the Shelby Museum in Las Vegas if you are over that way.

Many of us 'locals' end up at the Baja Cantina in Carmel Valley on Thursday night. If you are in town by then drop by.

There is a big air museum at Chino (SoCal) airport if I'm not mistaken and a few car museums down there as well.

Back