MDA Mk1 with Gulf Arches - Martin P

Fuel Caps completed. The Aero Caps are required for IVA and I'm not surprised. Very important safety addition in my opinion.

Attachments

• IMG01061-20110202-1116 [640x480].jpg
    IMG01061-20110202-1116 [640x480].jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 380
  • IMG01062-20110202-1116 [640x480].jpg
    IMG01062-20110202-1116 [640x480].jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 366
My fuel regulator was repositioned from inside the Inlet manifold out to just below the bulkhead window. This is so I can attach a fuel pressure guage and have it pointing so I can see it through the bulkhead window while inside the car.

Attachments

• IMG01059-20110202-1059 [640x480].jpg
    IMG01059-20110202-1059 [640x480].jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 411
Hi Martin,
Looking really good, can’t be far from the IVA test now

Regarding the fuel filler caps, don’t forget this under section 3A

"The fuel filler cap must either be tethered to the vehicle or be of a lockable type where the key can only be removed when the cap is locked or an automatically opening and closing, non-removable fuel filler cap (Post 0 5 / 2009 vehicles only)"

Regards
Andy

Looks great Martin. Had a bit of a nose around it when I dropped the car off at Mick's last week. You have SO many more pipes and cables in the engine bay! I think I have hose envy LOL.

Andy is right on the fuel cap, though if you look in the goood old car builders catalogue they show you a solution to the problem.

Brett

Martin,

Looking great I've got my car is still just a pile of bit's but Martin's car is nearly IVA ready envy.

Andy and Brett keep the faith, I wouldn't worry about the filler caps. I know Southampton has a reputation as the toughest place to get an IVA pass but I'm sure Mick (if he can't get it through IVA no one can) Sollis will have a solution.

Martin
I was planning g on using a similar aero cap to the one you have used. Do you need a tank breather vent with this or will it breath through the lock/cap? Your build is looking great by the way.
Thanks
Ian

Hi Ian,
Good question and I'm not sure yet. The safest way is to have a breather. I've asked Mick to attach one to my tanks before any petrol is introduced.

Cheers,
Martin

There are some arguments as to where to place the vents and how many to have. Some say to place the vent in the middle, others say at the end of the tank. My feeling is neither, but to put a vent at EACH end of the tanks. If you park on a slant and the tank is near full, the middle will be underwater so to speak and any pressure that builds up will force the fuel up the vent line. The same argument holds for vents on one end or the other. So I put one at each end. I have a tight seal fuel cap on the fillers. I link the front and back together on each side, and then run them up by the fillers. At the top I install a rollover valve on each side. This way the air bubble has a route to escape if they become heated(which they will). The better valves will allow air to pass but will not allow fuel to escape even if the car is upright. Those valves are not real cheap.

Bill

Martin,
The vent on the tank is one thing, but what about venting back through the aero cap? Do you know whether it will breath through the cap seal (assuming its not tight) or through the lock mechanism? I was wondering whether it is necessary to drill a small hole through the aero cap flange and fit a small vent valve? I know the main replica cap has a breather hole, but not sure about the aero cap? Any idea?
Thanks
Ian

Hi Ian, Martin
These type of fuel caps (made by Newton Equipment) are definitely non venting, so you will need a separate vent pipe and to do the job properly it has to go through a roll-over valve. Also don't forget for the IVA test that the tanks will need to earthed back to the chassis, especially relevant if you plan to mount them using straps
Regards
Andy

Last edited:
I have some of the RCR/Mustalgia caps which are vented and aero inserts if yu are looking for this functionality Ian.

Martin, I have a spare Think inline rollover unit going if you want (I bought one too many).

Brett

Most of the rollover valves are a float valve that will go up against the top of the mechanism to inhibit flow when upside down or if fuel sloshes up the line. They are not too good at letting air back in as the fuel level drops. I installed the inline version of these two. They maintain the integrity of the fuel system by venting the buildup of pressure(50 mbar) from heat, and also lets air back in when a vacuum(5mbar) exist as the fuel level drops or the fuel cools.With vents in the rear and the front, it assures me that the pressure buildup is from air only, not the fuel being pushed up the line from an expanding air bubble at the other end The vent cap is a marine style with a mesh opening to keep trash out. I put mine next to the filler cap. Your regulations may require something different.

Bill

ATL Tank Vent Valve 8mm Push On Vent Inline 50mbar pressure relief/5mbar vacuum | Fuel Tank Vent Valves | Fuel System | Motorsport Shop | Demon Tweeks

ATL Tank Vent Valve -6 Vent Inline To Suit -6 JIC Ends 50mbar Pressure Relief/5mbar Vacuum | Fuel Tank Vent Valves | Fuel System | Motorsport Shop | Demon Tweeks

Sea Dog 352110 Sailboat Engine Parts and Boat Parts-Torresen Marine

Soft Mounting my radiator.
My build manual says bolt to the chassis but that is not correct. Any stress through the rad will crack it. So soft mounts it is.

Attachments

• Cotton reel rubber mounts [640x480].jpg
    Cotton reel rubber mounts [640x480].jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 466
  • New Rad brackets [640x480].jpg
    New Rad brackets [640x480].jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 411
Hi Martin,
I've mounted my in a similar way, but bobbin real mounts don't like to be shear. To prevent premature failure, I've packed a piece of high density foam between the bottom edge of the radiator & the floor pan to take some of the load.

Keep up the good work

Regards
Andy

Hi Martin

Looking at the pic with the rad in it i notice where you have fitted the front indicator lamps, having gone through an SVA, i feel with your wide rear arches they are not far enough out towards the edge of the car.

All the best

Rich

PS body turning up in the next few weeks :)

Rich,
Thanks for the tip, I'll look into it. There are many other options.

Sounds like your making good progress yourself. :thumbsup:

Back