MDA Mk1 with Gulf Arches - Martin P

My gear change is coming along nicely. There is some making good of the bodywork to do after it's all tweaked up. Can get all the gears but a bit notchy. Can't be tweaked until the engine is going which is imminent after replacing all my injectors (They leaked).
Thanks Adam, great work.

Attachments

• Transaxle gear selecting rods [640x480].jpg
    Transaxle gear selecting rods [640x480].jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 523
  • Selecting rods [640x480].jpg
    Selecting rods [640x480].jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 541
My Engine Runs :D

With the injectors replaced and the Accel management system all in and working, today saw the first start. She ticks over and runs really well for a first go. Will need proper mapping and tweaking, but out of the box, I'm not complaining.
What a great feeling. I feel I have a car now and not just a project.
A major milestone to reach and one that I've been dreaming about for a long time.
Drinks tonight...oh yes.

Getting really exciting now.
New RAM pipes fitted to my Jenvey throttle bodies. I'm delighted with the way they look. Perfect.
Also a couple of photos of the gear change which is not finished yet.

Martin

Attachments

• Jenvey Ram Pipes [640x480].jpg
    Jenvey Ram Pipes [640x480].jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 628
  • Jenvey Ram Pipes 2 [640x480].jpg
    Jenvey Ram Pipes 2 [640x480].jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 712
  • Jenvey Ram Pipes 1 [640x480].jpg
    Jenvey Ram Pipes 1 [640x480].jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 619
  • Drivers view Ram Pipes [640x480].jpg
    Drivers view Ram Pipes [640x480].jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 575
  • Gear change [640x480].jpg
    Gear change [640x480].jpg
    89 KB · Views: 643
  • Gear change 1 [640x480].jpg
    Gear change 1 [640x480].jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 573
Great stuff Martin....I've been reading your thread for some time and I'm even excited for you! Almost as if it was my own build. You've got the patience of a saint. Stay with it as you are very close to nirvana. One observation.....that fuel line running around the trumpets closest to the exhaust...any concerns over the heat of those pipes and the location of that line?

Hi Jimmy,
Thanks for the kind words. I am quite a patient person. Just as well really.
In the fullness of time I will have a cold air box that will shield the fuel line from the exhaust. Good observation though. Thanks for keeping me on my toes.

Cheers Malcolm. It's coming along nicely. This year it'll be done. Please let it be so...

Martin

Martin,
Have you given any thought to flipping the throttle bodies from right to left and vice versa. This would put your fuel lines on the inside and away from heat sources ala TWM setups? Your fuel rails should clear. Then you would not need the cold box except for esthetics.

Bill

Latest photos.
My exhaust is finished and fitted. I'm delighted with the results.

Bill,
I don't want to tinker any more with it. I'm happy enough the way it is and I want a cold box anyhow. Eventually the throttle bodies will be tilted inwards if Mr Sollis can engineer a solution for me which may crowd the fuel lines and injectors if they are on the inside and make them difficult to get to.
The end game is to fit a V - shaped top plate with fabricated stand offs as close to the original cast ones that I can manage. I love the trumpets so will probably remove the top plate from time to time but I eventually want the original '68, '69 Gulf car engine look.

Martin

Attachments

• martin 001 [640x480].jpg
    martin 001 [640x480].jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 452
  • martin 002 [640x480].jpg
    martin 002 [640x480].jpg
    113 KB · Views: 471
  • martin 004 [640x480].jpg
    martin 004 [640x480].jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 457
A couple of recent Black and White photos of my car.

Attachments

• DSC_0393B&W [640x480].JPG
    DSC_0393B&W [640x480].JPG
    77.4 KB · Views: 433
  • DSC_0381B&W [640x480].JPG
    DSC_0381B&W [640x480].JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 405
Hi Martin, I saw the car last week, coming on nicely. They all look so scruffy when in primer it's this silly IVA that keeps the cars un painted until they pass. It will look great when it's in paint, and your nearly there mate.
What colour are you having ?
Engine looks great too

Thanks Guys,

Keith,
It has been a long old road that is coming to an end. IVA is creeping ever closer and most things are now working on the car. The only item that really needs some attention is the gearchange, which needs fine tuning. Otherwise it's very close indeed. Paint will be red. I'll be going for a period colour, so probably Rangoon red like the MK1V winning car of '67. White stripes, roundals and decals too. I want it to look like a race car rather than a road car. Can't wait for that stage.

Martin

IVA Test 'PASS'

I can't thank Mick and the team at SGT enough. Fantastic job.
Still hasn't sunk in. I feel like I've won an olympic medal or something.

Martin

The Brits take another GOLD medal. Sorry, couldn't resist...well done Martin.

BTW a few posts back you mentioned putting a flame shield over the carbs to give the car that period look.....I like the idea a lot and have considered doing same. Something I've seen recently was clear plexiglass shields that perfrom the same function but you still get to see all the trumpets. Just a thought.

Back