Meeting with MP's at Westminster in April

I am one of ten business owners meeting with MP's at Westminster next month.

I am open to suggestions from fellow UK WOGGS, for questions/comments/issues to raise! Nothing too offensive please! :thumbsup:

Come on chumps, I mean chaps! I need something to run with. You all know I only talk bollox! Gimme something that'll make me sound smart! Please ;)

Ask them when we will see a concerted effort to restore our infrastructure so its at least in line with the third world countries.
When will we get a representative in Brussels that will stand up to the pillocks that impose fines on us for things we have no control over .
While you are at it prod one of them in the ribs and ask how we can be competitive in manufacturing while being slaughtered for excessive business rates /taxes and having to pay more for labour than our trading partners .
Also give them a kicking on H&S bullshit and ask why it takes a whole day of mind numbing induction just to enter some shit hole of a factory.

I best stop I think :)

Bob

Keith

Well now Robert, here you are with a serious chance of putting a point to those Westminster gobshite politishuns and here you are asking a lot of dumb rhetorical questions.

Me? I gave up on politics years ago when my health went so I ain't got the energy no more, but I would have asked about this seemingly crazy HS2 project the present Govt seems intent on. £50 billion is a whole bunch of cash to chuck at a railway line when we've so much else needs fiscal help.

I am prepared to be swayed by a good argument for, but the trouble is, I've not seen one yet.

Perhaps Peekford mon ami, you would care to pose this question if you have the opportunity.

HS2, Green Taxes and employers' NI contributions are my favourites. If I could only make one point, it would be employers' NI. I could employ two more staff and would tomorrow, if I didn't have the extra, unfair tax burden of NI.

Last edited:

Keith

Nah, employ them and stick 'em on the black. Maintain that English is not your first language, and you only came here to better yourself and young Abdul will be killed by his family if you don't pay him cash in hand. You'll be fine.

The Black Economy in the UK is booming!

Hi tell them to do away with all the commities and inquires giving every Tom Dick and Harry the right to their say. Of the £50 billion HS2 will cost, £25 billion will be spent on talking about it. In my neck of the woods a canal is proposed to link the Grand Union Canal to the river Great Ouse therby allowing navigation to the sea. It is a 15 mile route but due to cosultations with all and sundry excavations are not expected to start for at least ten years.
Regards David

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
HS2, Green Taxes and employers' NI contributions are my favourites. If I could only make one point, it would be employers' NI. I could employ two more staff and would tomorrow, if I didn't have the extra, unfair tax burden of NI.

Mark
I would think that would be good, perhaps also the way they calculate business rates, the inefficiencies of the valuation office and the fact that you are forced to pay and appeal and five years later get the appeal heard and refund made.

Ian

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Our new right wing Prime Minister, Tony Abbott today announced he is axeing over 9000 regulations ( red tape) saving business in Australia over 2 billion per Annum.
Maybe you could ask how many bits of red tape your chaps are going to axe?

Keith

Oh my favourite subject. Following on the heels of Tony Bliar there are many thousands of quangoes to be eliminated.

All Bliar did to solve a political issue, was to pass a daft piece of unwanted and unusable legislation and set up a committee to report to another committee. This piece is contemporary with Bliars disastrous incumbency between 5-6 years ago. Big Government indeed!

The Blair years: new law passed every three hours

In his ten years as Prime Minister, Tony Blair has introduced a new law every three-and-a- quarter hours, new research reveals.
Since 1997, an average of 2,685 laws have been passed every year - a 22 per cent rise on the previous decade.

They have covered subjects ranging from the importing of bed linen to the evaluation of statistics on labour costs.

The figure does not include European Union laws which also affect Britain - last year, 2,100 of those were passed, bringing the total to 4,785 or 13 every day, according to legal publishers Sweet & Maxwell.

Of the laws, 98 per cent were brought in by statutory instruments, rather than Acts of Parliament. The procedure allows less time for debate by MPs than the tabling of a Bill.

The statutes themselves have become longer, with five Acts passed last year taking more than 100 pages to explain, three of them more than 200, another above 300, another above 500 and one more than 700 pages long.
Shadow Cabinet Office minister Oliver Heald said: "Tony Blair and Gordon Brown think the answer to everything is to make a new law.

"But, after creating thousands of new laws, violent crime has doubled."

A spokesman for the Bar Council, which represents barristers in England and Wales, said: "Politicians often equate legislation with action.

"But the growing complexity of the law is the main reason trials are taking longer and costing more."

A No.10 spokesman said: "The Government makes no apology for legislating where necessary to improve the lives of people in this country."

Yeah right.

Great posts guys. Keith, that Blair info is great. Whenever anyone talks about cuts, they never mention just how much government was expanded during the last government's watch.

@ Ian. Business rates are outrageous. I was talking to my local car wash guy the other day in town. Over £8,000 per year in business rates on an old vegetable warehouse! Apparently his mate, a hairdresser, has over £6,000 per year on a tiny Barbour Shop on the high street. That's a shed load of haircuts just to cover rates alone. This situation is sick!

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Mark Pickford;@ Ian. Business rates are outrageous. I was talking to my local car wash guy the other day in town. Over £8 said:
We rent warehouse and premises in Royal Borough of Kingston upon Thames - total 15000sq feet
Rates are £92300 for the coming year

I looked into moving and found the same sized premises in Sunbury under Spelthorne Council Rates there and cost = £38000

So 8 miles apart and a £54k difference does not make sense

But it does to the valuation office and Local councils!

Ian

I never consider London Ian, it has little relevance to the rest of the country. Like LA is to the USA. Full of wierdo's ;)

Keith

Apparently his mate, a hairdresser, has over £6,000 per year on a tiny Barbour Shop on the high street. That's a shed load of haircuts just to cover rates alone. This situation is sick!

Did he sell clothes too then? No wonder his Business Rates were high...

Malcolm

Supporter
Business Rates - system needs a full overhaul and empty rates are really not helping businesses in any shape or form. Look forward to hearing that you have it all sorted on your return!

Back