Monocoques

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
I need info on who is producing GT40 monocoque chassis as close to the original
-1 series - not necessarily in stainless but Zintac or similar. I saw one recently on somebodies website but like a fool I didn't note it and cant find it again.
Dave Morton

G

Dave, you are probably referring to John Hester at www.GTSupercars.com. There are some others making monocoques many of which, as you mention, are stainless.

Dave, roaring forties will have a very authentic, proper monocoque chassis chassis by the end of the year. This car is being constructed as a duplicate of the original, using original components. I would be happy to talk to you at length about it, give me a call at 480-446-8442.

Dave cav40 has a stainless steel monocoque mk1 that is just perfect in every way.You can see this on my web site fav-gt40.com.I hope you like what you see we are getting great feed back on this monocoque.

Dave my cav40 workmanship on the stainless steel is excellent....Infact I'm very pleased with the overall fit and finish of the car.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Another request in a similar vein. Is any body fabricating metal roof sections and B posts? I'm not sure but one source that may have been involved with FAV Slough might have been Abbey Panels but apparently their company goes under in two weeks time.
frown.gif

Thank you one and all for the various replies to this thread.
Dave M

Well, i am sorry to say..
But definetly the Abbey plant that was involved in the GT40 manufactoring
burned down in 1969 including all work and tools...

frown.gif

Hi guys
That's funny to hear that the plant burned down. I spoke to them just two weeks ago???

Regards

Chris
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Check your facts - I also spoke to them yesterday - or maybe I was having an out of body experience and it was a phoenix risen from the 'ashes' when it burned down.
wink.gif

Dave M

I thought London burned down in 1666 something ?
Maybe i was wrong, but i sure think i spoke to somebody in London just a few day´s ago...
Or was i having an out of body experience ?

Fire or not, they did have a fire in the much smaller complexes..at the time...
And crapped the tools are...
Or prove it otherwise !
Have a great day !
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Marco,
You are right, I'm pretty sure London had a great fire in 1666. I just got back from London and went to Monument and climbed to the top. Monument was a column made dedicated to the great fire.

G

Dave, again I say, you must be talking about John Hester at GT Supercars. To my knowledge he is the only one with steel in the roof.

I am not sure about the chassis that George Cochran is building with respect to steel in the roof. At this point, I think that Dan White is using or plans to use a chassis from George.

Not to long ago someone posted comments about the Kirkhams working on a GT40. I understand that they have had access to a west coast (guarsman blue/white stripes) original to use for copying the 40 as closely as possible, With their reputation I would speculate that this will be a monocoque with metal center section. Anybody out there who can confirm or deny the project?

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
I have phoned the Kirkham brothers a few times over the last two or three years asking if they would build a GT40. I thought that given the accuracy and quality of their 427 Cobra car (which, if I am not mistaken, Shelby sells as their own, isn't that right?), that a GT40 from them would be the closest to an original car that one could get. That is, if one did not have the money to buy a Mark I or Safir MkV GT40....
Well, they didn't say yes or no. They do have an original MkI car out there, or they did, but whether they are planning to copy it the way they did the Cobra I don't know. I went ahead and began the process with someone else (David Brown in NZ, using body panels from the original molds which are owned by Safir, Ltd), as I couldn't determine whether the Kirkhams would decide to build a GT40 or not. While there may be more recent information on what they are doing, that is the latest I know.
Certainly if they decide to build GT40s they will be very good cars indeed, and I would imagine very like a 1965 or 1966 GT40. In ways both good and bad. When you replicate an original you don't improve it, so it would be like driving the real thing.
grin.gif

Hi all
our friend George, I understand got the restoration job on P1005. He is rebuilding the Tub after it was buried for many years underground following a garage fire. I would like to see how it is coming along if any one has photos, please post.
Regards
Chris.

Back