My RCR "DPE-962X" 8500 RPM -1500HP Engine Build *lots of pics*

I have a problem with the sound of the cross plane V8! It`s just doesn't sound like a race engine!
Crossplane.gif
How about the BMW M5 V10 engines they cost at the salvage yard over her about 8000$. Nice sound track and you can go with a turbo kit on them...

I believe you can get a great sound out of it, but only with 180s or at least a 8 into 1 exhaust. This one sounds like it uses little children as fuel and houses spontaneously combust
as it drives by:evil:. It's a 351 with 180s

Super Special"De Tomaso Pantera " in Japan vol 01 - YouTube

and this one is a Pantera with a BMW V8 with 180s. Sounds almost like a ferrari

Nicest sounding Detomaso Pantera - YouTube

I believe you can get a great sound out of it, but only with 180s or at least a 8 into 1 exhaust. This one sounds like it uses little children as fuel and houses spontaneously combust
as it drives by:evil:. It's a 351 with 180s

Super Special"De Tomaso Pantera " in Japan vol 01 - YouTube

and this one is a Pantera with a BMW V8 with 180s. Sounds almost like a ferrari

Nicest sounding Detomaso Pantera - YouTube

We all know how differently the human ear captures sound compared to the camera's do (when watching videos like these especially).

In person, even these crossplane crank V8's have unique exhaust note characteristic's apart from "regular" uncorked V8's and flat-plane crank V8's... but, rev any V8 motor over 9k rpm w/ a monster cam and it'll sound like a "race car", albeit not for very long...

Or, fix the problem and harness 12 cylinders :thumbsup:

Perry, any updates? New member here, read your entire thread with great interest.

Can't find your age. Are you old enough to remember Harry Dawg, the Tuff Rabbit Lounge, and the Chicago Skyway runs from the '70s?

JR

The "DPE-962X" project was very interesting to read, but it seemed to come to a dead stop in March, 2011. My impression was that a vehicle was in the process of being built by Fran for Perry. Can anyone comment on what happened to the project? TIA.

Ron Earp

Admin
Perry's last login was 10-28-11 @ 12:13 AM, a long time ago in internet time. I suspect this project/thread is defunct.

Re. Ceramic piston coatings. They also cause heat to migrate to the outside of the top of the piston, then down the sides to the top ring. It expands considerably which can be cata$trophic. Don't ask me how I know... Use only under adult supervision.

Attachments

• IMAG0315.jpg
    IMAG0315.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 470
FYI Daily don't recommend the original stile crank mounted Oil pump
as at high rpm they suffer issues. Thats why they alway supply a external pressure pump unit. Also there 5 stage Pump (which I'm using and here's my pan they delivered recently) the 4 scavenge units create 26" of vacuum on a normal motor plenty enough for a High RPM turbo, for my stock ish LS7 I'm going to have to fit a Vacuum regulator as more than 10" of vacuum on stock rings isn't recommended. So you might not need that other Vacuum device your making after all. Just phone them up and he will explain better then me bud.....

http://thumbsnap.com/i/vUqn7MKJ.jpg

Re. Ceramic piston coatings. They also cause heat to migrate to the outside of the top of the piston, then down the sides to the top ring. It expands considerably which can be cata$trophic. Don't ask me how I know... Use only under adult supervision.

Piston cooling jets a Must for this kind of a motor i would suspect..

PS why 427ci ?? why not go smaller stroke on the crank that would help with the higher RPM and slow down the piston speed, and the turbos don't need that extra Cubes really do they...

Hi Scott, there was one (that I know of) Fran's RCR 962's built last year. Unfortunately, the owner is having it completed privately so nothing was posted other than some pre-ship photos. I want to buy one and have been putting a plan together for a build. The holdup is I have to sell off my other toy prior. I have a few people interested right now (but cash speaks louder than words) so hopefully, fingers crossed............

I would love to do one also. Street legal? :)

My comment was mostly based towards 2 pages of hype, 8 pages of filler, then to find out it never made it to step one. Lol.

Dr. David

Lifetime Supporter
The RCR-962 chassis that was built last year is in a Porsche race shop in Sherwood, Oregon, still sitting as delivered. There is a high probability that it may be for sale, but not for certain, in case anyone wants to pursue it.
Just my opinion,
David

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Quote from the owner this morning.... " I'm not selling LOL "

its actually coming back to us in the Summer for us to do more work on it , which will be very cool.

Last edited:
Quote from the owner this morning.... " I'm not selling LOL "

its actually coming back to us in the Summer for us to do more work on it , which will be very cool.

Totally agree, how could the 962 not be cool..... It is one of the most significant racecars of its time period. Not to mention the Rothman livery makes it a visually stunner......

Dusty

GT40s Supporter
Howdy All,

Like Fran said, car has a null probability of being for sale.

Please don't post speculative comments, being for sale especially.

I have several other projects going on and can only have so many in the queue. I'd like to remain in good standing with everyone on here; Fran and the Sys Admin most of all ;)

-I'm more than happy to chat with or give advice to folks when I have time. I have 4 other race cars on the rack. Including a Trans Am Series GT1 Corvette converted to a "streetable" car that looks more like a C5R...

Back