Need cooling help please

There are two bolts on the back side of the plate, for the two locations you all refer to, not related to mounting, that squash the plate from behind.

That third bolt on each water port would really be comforting to have, it’s a shame Ford couldn’t have designed it better. Those two unused bolt holes are a potential leakage path for any fluids or dirt that accumulate on top of the timing cover to get in behind the pump plate. I’m going to install set screws in those holes with some sealant, for what little good it will do.

He means the two semi-rectangular openings on each side that allow coolant to flow through the timing cover and into the block.

Mike, I just noticed your comments referencing the two unused bolt holes in post #61. The two tapped holes we’re talking about are in the timing cover circled in this photo. Those holes are covered by the short pump once the pump is installed, but they’re open to atmosphere on the back side of the timing cover between the pump and the block.

Attachments

• IMG_1024.jpeg
    IMG_1024.jpeg
    116.7 KB · Views: 51
No you need the one I posted earlier, 35214. Mr Gasket sells a multi-pack of different gaskets that appears to include the correct gasket. Center right in the photo. I tried to find one local to me, O’Reilly’s, Auto Zone, Advance…they all had in their systems, but all were unavailable and couldn’t be ordered. I found them on eBay and ordered two for about $14 total. Waiting on them to arrive so I can reinstall my pump.

Attachments

• IMG_1032.png
    IMG_1032.png
    337.5 KB · Views: 44
As I wait for parts, and clean up to goo left behind, the question of what brand/type coolant is preferred. I stopped by a local auto parts store for a couple of things and found a bazillion types available. What to choose?
PXL_20240125_221434236.jpg

Make sure it's not dexcool or GM specific. That stuff makes kitty litter when it's exposed to air, and any amount of burping or overflow due to expansion introduces air.

I received the water pump and gaskets today. I decided to prep the timing cover to receive the new WP, and I found what appears to be a void in the original casting that may have been filled. That black material on the inside edge of the left water port is it. Some of the filler was removed with gasket remnants. The rest of the mating surface looks fine. I am thinking a dab of Right Stuff to fill this void should take care of it.

PXL_20240130_222047408.jpg

The thermostat housing did not have a gasket but Right Stuff, or something similar, was used to seal this mating surface. The inlet housing has some fairly deep mating surface machining scratches and a casting void. A thin coat of Right Stuff might be needed here too.

PXL_20240130_222056552.jpg
PXL_20240130_222205401.jpg

Back