New titles - let's have the suggestions!

Re: New titles - let\'s have the suggestions!

[ QUOTE ]
Is'nt it all a bit childish, this so called rating by names? Just as also childish to use stupid "non de plumes" instead of your real name on the Forum,

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Frank doesnt like my board name, or maybe its just me.

Ron, if everyone seems against titles (but we want to keep the # of posts) could you not just put "not-printing" characters in (like spaces)? That way the software thinks there are titles and keeps the # of posts?

Here are a few good ones /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Pompous Ass

Know it all

Diarrhea of the mouth

Never been wrong

constipated

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Dont know what the hell happened to my post. I think I *@!&%* it up. Any way Ill just repeat myself. This is my first post, I been lurking in the back ground for 15 months or so while working my ass of on the 40. I hope to have a web page available soon with heaps of photos showing my 40 and a mates 40 complete build history soon. Ps nice title list Faili F probably get up some nose but what the hell.

Welcome to the Forum Mick, I look forward to seeing your photos. We need more people on this forum with sense of humor. I like your sign off, it would have been a great username /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks mate, sign off is same as No. Plate/Registration nothing like wishful thinking. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Just so everyone knows, I agree with this point about post numbers. But, the way the software is written if I turn off the "titles" then it also turns off the number of posts. These two things are linked, unfortunately. I made the decision some time ago that we are going to have number of posted displayed, therefore, titles will be present as well. Which is why I started the topic to fix them to a format that most people agree on. The titles would be NEW ones and would replace the ones currently in use.

[/ QUOTE ]I think this is understandable (even for me as a german...), but generally I do not agree to combine the number of posts with the quality or character of a member. If someone posts a lot of stupid, wrong, meaningless or otherwise useless things, he will automatically upgrade his title?! Seems a little bit senseless to me....Another thing is the fact that not all forum members have the chance to own a real GT40 - I guess there are a lot guys like me who are fascinated from this car, but don't have one. Of course this people, me included, can't mess with the old and experienced owners or builders of a real car - and I prefer to read and learn about things I don't know much about rather than posting any brain rubbish. But that doesn't mean I'm less interested in the theme. I only know that, except a miracle happens, I'll never have enough money to own a real car. So I decided 16 years ago to collect ALL other stuff concerning this car I could get, especially model cars - and I'm proud to own a number of more than 550 different models - and a real large number of books, magazines, drawings and other collectable stuff. And I'm sure that there's no other person worldwide which can match my collection. It's just another way to occupy with the fascination of the GT40, but nevertheless as interested in the real car as all other members. The only difference is that I don't post constantly to various themes - the reason I've told before. Hope that I didn't annoy or offend any other member with this, that's absolutely not my intention! I just want to show that there are members with a small number of posts like me who have nevertheless great interest in the forum.

Volker

Hi Volker, it sounds as if you are just as much an enthusiast as anyone on this forum. You must have a truly amazing collection of GT40 stuff. What are the top 5 in your collection, and is there anything in particular that has eluded you so far? (Apart from a real original GT40)

Hi Jasper,
the Top 5 in my collection - well, it's hard to say as it's growing nearly every week, and I'm chasing constantly for new items. But of course there are some which were really lucky finds, for example a portfolio which contains a lot of original old magazine adds and road/track tests from July 1964 up to 1999. I got them from an old american who was very pleased that all the paperwork he collected over the years found a good new home. Another item which is nearly impossible to find is a SIKU Ford GT toy car which was made in Brazil in the 80's - I got 3 of them from an australian guy who decided to give up his collection...I'm also very proud to own 4 Bandai plastic kits in 1/16 scale - all are mint boxed, in 3 different versions (so that I can build one without loosing a variation if I have the time to do it). Further I have the old DECCA record "Le Mans'66" with comments by Bruce McLaren, Graham Hill, Chris Amon and Carroll Shelby - I guess some people would be more than happy if I'd sell it to them... And so there are loads of other items - to list them all here would be a work for days. Can't say that there are special items which eluded me so far - sometimes in very seldom cases I didn't use a chance to buy an item because of exorbitant high prices, but I can wait - if I shall get it, another chance will appear sometime - and so it was very often, some weeks or months later I found the same or a similar item for a reasonable price. Meanwhile some people learned that I really collect this things for me, not to make money with, and so I get offers which are "only for friends". Last time I got some old replica brochures from John Wyer Automotive, Ray Mallock Limited, GTD and Kit Car Hermsen from such a friend...
I don't know exactly how many different items I have, I guess there are a lot more than 1000 including the models. Seems to be a never ending story - the only problem I have with is my limited storage room!

Volker

Hi Volker, I also have the Le Mans 66 record, truly amazing. I bought that about 25 years ago, long before I was interested in GT40s.
Good luck and keep up the good work.

Jasper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

If it's possible, I'd like the "title" to reflect how long you've been a member rather than number of posts. I've been here a good while but as a wannabe I have little to contribute on a daily basis, and my post count reflects that.

Bill Hara

Old Hand
GT40s Supporter

I agree Rob, I also have been around for a long time, read posts on a daily basis, even when I'm away on holidays. I'm building my car and find that there is more value in searching through old threads for answers instead of asking the same questions again.

Bill.

Back