Nicks Forte Scratch Build - to Stunning Mk1 GTD

NickD

Supporter
Some good progress since the last post. Gearbox is now back on and I’ve fabricated a new gearbox mount to cater for the 01x. Very pleased with solution. Also relocated the oil cooler rad to the rear to de clutter it’s original position and to also simplify the oil pipe run.

Plan is to go for a full engine test next Sunday and bring her up to temp to check for any coolant / oil leaks before pressing on.

Attachments

• E1DCAC4B-C2EE-4297-9303-F28A1D90AFFF.jpeg
    E1DCAC4B-C2EE-4297-9303-F28A1D90AFFF.jpeg
    629.8 KB · Views: 758
I can understand your position I built mine after looking at the ERA kit back in the early 90s my wife had a fit at the coast when it was 20% of the current price so i scratch built the hole car for somewhat less than the price of the kit but i did everything from building the chassis to casting parts and all thee machine work.You may not go to that extreme but you get quite an education I am currently getting mine ready to put back on the road after over 20 years in storage Good luck and enjoy the journey.

NickD

Supporter
This vehicle is now up for sale due to major change in lifetime plans. Vehicle details can be found in within the cars for sale forum on this site.

Thanks.

Nick.

NickD

Supporter
Although my wife and I decided to sell our almost completed GT Forte we opted for the next best thing given our need for flexibility going forward. Hence, we are now the owners of a stunning Mk1 GTD allowing us to live and enjoy our dream car.

With my 60th approaching in just a week, couldn’t be happier. ;-)

Attachments

• B4DC60CF-A7A2-438C-8DC7-A4688EF7DEF4.jpeg
    B4DC60CF-A7A2-438C-8DC7-A4688EF7DEF4.jpeg
    781.1 KB · Views: 628
Beautiful car Nick. Always loved the GTDs. Remember when they were first imported here to San Diego and a couple of them were here. That was many years ago. Your car is quite nicely done. Congrats.

NickD

Supporter
Hi everyone,

Been a few weeks now since we took delivery of my 60th birthday prezzy and my new pride and Joy. Really happy with the way she drives and handles. Based on the last few weeks experience, now have a couple of jobs to do like fitting a remote oil cooler and possible upgrading the current cable gearshift mechanism to a rod change.

Excepting that, popped on a couple of decals to spice the body up a bit.

Best regards from a very happy man !

Attachments

• 20661B46-F8DE-443B-B197-BC8B6D4932F8.jpeg
    20661B46-F8DE-443B-B197-BC8B6D4932F8.jpeg
    815.8 KB · Views: 516

NickD

Supporter
Have been absolutely over the moon with our new GTD. Just returned from the Le Mans classic (albeit with our range rover as we were riding shotgun with our friends GT40's and Daytona Coupe's). Going to take ours next year to mark the 10th anniversary of the classic.

Had to address a small water leak which was hard to track down but understandable given some of the older pipes were rubber and a little past their date.

Car coolant system now duly flushed and modern silicon replacement hoses fitted.

Enjoying every minute were in her ;-)

Pic's attached from our early Morning run back to Blighty in Northern France following Paul and Emma's stunning SGT and the new pipes on our modest GTD rad.

8f4eaf36-f716-4f1f-9cc3-5b257d617ab8.jpg
IMG_4919.jpeg

Have been absolutely over the moon with our new GTD. Just returned from the Le Mans classic (albeit with our range rover as we were riding shotgun with our friends GT40's and Daytona Coupe's). Going to take ours next year to mark the 10th anniversary of the classic.

Had to address a small water leak which was hard to track down but understandable given some of the older pipes were rubber and a little past their date.

Car coolant system now duly flushed and modern silicon replacement hoses fitted.

Enjoying every minute were in her ;-)

Pic's attached from our early Morning run back to Blighty in Northern France following Paul and Emma's stunning SGT and the new pipes on our modest GTD rad.

View attachment 123544View attachment 123545
Bloody love that photo, Yisa has a career in photography ahead of her…

Going to take ours next year to mark the 10th anniversary of the classic.

So you are not leaving the Uk early next year, as you mentioned earlyer?

On a side note, my wife and I will be leaving the UK early next year so finished or not, the car will have to be sold as Thailand has a 300% import duty on any vehicles perceived value so I cant take with us.
Nick.

Looking forward to meet again next year, as we will bring our GT40 also.

NickD

Supporter
Quick update on my GTD as I bring her up to date.

Video to outline the issues and a pic showing the core problem.

Attachments

• EF64B577-E660-44B7-90EE-0B625D517261.jpeg
    EF64B577-E660-44B7-90EE-0B625D517261.jpeg
    367.4 KB · Views: 363

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Nick - sorry to hear of the radiator issues.
in regard to the electric water pump and restrictions at 5he thermostat..
It appeared in one of your videos that you did connect the thermostat bypass hose - so this would alleviate any issues in regard to a deadhead stoppage to the electric pump.
Also, if you do decide to drill the thermostat, I do this in the main body of the thermostat, close to the sealing edge of the stat to housing. A single 1/8“ hole works wonders for getting air out of the system.
D7FFD86D-BC36-44C1-A7B3-462280443D38.jpeg
42180D3D-4836-46EB-AD07-A8EEB76DF98B.jpeg

NickD

Supporter
Nick - sorry to hear of the radiator issues.
in regard to the electric water pump and restrictions at 5he thermostat..
It appeared in one of your videos that you did connect the thermostat bypass hose - so this would alleviate any issues in regard to a deadhead stoppage to the electric pump.
Also, if you do decide to drill the thermostat, I do this in the main body of the thermostat, close to the sealing edge of the stat to housing. A single 1/8“ hole works wonders for getting air out of the system.
View attachment 123881View attachment 123882
Hi Bud, those pics are from my GT Forte which I sold on. No I have a complete GTD.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Hi Bud, those pics are from my GT Forte which I sold on. No I have a complete GTD.
Sorry about the mix up - I just went back a ways in this thread…. Either way, the information given should still work for you.

NickD

Supporter
Just a quick update as I get more familiar with the GTD. To help with engine cooling all around I have just completed the fitment of an external oil cooler which feeds from a thermostatic sandwich plate between the engine and oil filter. Had to switch to a slightly shorter oil filter to the original given the tightness for space but all in all, well pleased with the result. As always, the position was a compromise given the lack of options at the back of the GTD combined with me playing it relatively safe.

Other small jobs in progress to slowly but surely bring her closer to my liking. ;-)

Attachments

• IMG_5077.jpeg
    IMG_5077.jpeg
    551.9 KB · Views: 290

NickD

Supporter
Now laid up for the next few months. New 44 IDF induction system and rod gear change mechanism to fit (the latter to replace the rather imprecise original cable system) along with replacing the sticky throttle cable and swapping out some old hoses. Some of the original rubber ones are showing their age !

Also on the list, check all the bushes, lower the suspension by around an inch (she is sitting a little high) and widen the front and rear tracks by about 20mm.

As close on 27 years old, a lot of TLC to come before she next hits the road !

IMG_5778.jpeg

Back