Now We're in Trouble!

Pat

Supporter
I didn't come to that conclusion, which is why I said "some".

Let me try to be more specific. Senate Majority Leader Reid held up 420 bills passed by the house. He controlled the Senate agenda, not Mr. McConnell. If your contention is that "some" house bills were irresponsible, then why were all of the remainder denied debate on the floor of the senate? If you believe any of them might have even merited debate then perhaps that process is what Mr. McConnell referred to as "broken". (He has said as much).
This is opposed to a simplistic blaming it all on "some of the irresponsible legislation out of the House". The fact is, Mr. Reid's denial of floor debate denied Mr. McConnell and even members of Mr. Reid's own party the opportunity to address, modify and correct anything (irresponsible or not) that the house may send their way. The same can be said for legislation offered by members of Mr. Reid's own party such as Alaska Senator Begich's Expanded Consumer Choice Act to assist millions facing health insurance cancellations as a result of the Affordable Care Act. In his campaign for reelection his was quite clear as to his frustration with the legislative processes of his own party's senate leadership.

The matter has been addressed (for now) as the voters have decided the leadership of the Senate should change.

You interpret that to mean that the Senate will now get "fixed" and try to rubber stamp anything that the House sends its way. They are being rubber stamped now with "NO" and they quietly die in in the dark abyss of the committee process at the hands of Mr. Reid in the senate.
If there is floor debate, then it is public and the constituents will see exactly who says what and votes how with clear implications for the next election. If bills pass then die at the hands of the president's veto pen, then the public knows that as well.
Sunlight is a great disinfectant.

Last edited:

Howard Jones

Supporter
Pat, Good one! The best one yet, will be if the republicans throw the Reid nuclear option right back at them and shut off debate with a simply majority when it comes time to repeal Obama care. McConnell should announce that because the Senate has been out of action for so long that ALL bills will be done on a simple up and down majority vote after a appropriate length of debate time. Lets give any Senator that wants to speak two hours to say their peace.Then Vote.

If Bob wants to veto everything then maybe we will need a republican in the White House next time to gets things done, I bet Hillary will just SHIT!

Keith,
You should have the experience of this system. It works well when the Constitution (and supporting papers) are adhered to. I never cease to be amazed that a group of shop owners, printers, farmers, doctors, and yes, lawyers some 234 or so years ago could write a document that is still pertinent today. Tom Jefferson Ben Franklin where are you?
But then the Magna Carter was a great start on the Constitution.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
I would say that the reelection of Brownback and Roberts in Kansas indicates that the TP is far from dead. But the fact that candidates like Sarah Palin and Michelle Bachman were notably absent this year speaks to the fact that the GOP was smart enough not to allow them to run.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
If our national legislators spent as much time trying to figure out what they agree on, as they do in determined efforts to stymie each others' agendas, why, we might actually have some progress in this country. Don't hold your breath.

Both parties are roundly to blame for this disgraceful state of affairs. This is why so many elections turn into "throw the bums out" routs. EVeryone's angry with everyone else, but we the people have the most to be angry about. We have an expensive and wasteful government, accountable to no one, that does a rotten job. We ought to be mad.

Pat

Supporter
Both parties are roundly to blame for this disgraceful state of affairs. This is why so many elections turn into "throw the bums out" routs. EVeryone's angry with everyone else, but we the people have the most to be angry about. We have an expensive and wasteful government, accountable to no one, that does a rotten job. We ought to be mad.

Jim, if Tuesday was simply a "throw the bums out" election, the incumbent Republicans would not have held their seats.
I think it is more about your second issue. I believe you are absolutely right on the money as the divisive identity politics has many balkanized and the federal bureaucracy has proven itself deceitful and inept. Tuesday's results would indicate they pretty frustrated about it all and want a change.

Holders replacement

Who is Loretta Lynch?

-Currently employed as the Attorney General for eastern NY (Brooklyn, Queens, Staten Island)
-Harvard grad
-Previous Federal Reserve board member
-Close friend of Al Sharpton

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
You were doing okay until that last.

You would think a Harvard grad would be smart enough to avoid hanging around an animated piece of shit like Al Sharpton. But no, evidently not.

Whatever.

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
I really hope they work things out. The world needs a strong America right now....

I think we all share that "hope", Keith.

However, my opinion isn't too optimistic. Boehner "threatening" the POTUS? Admonishing him not to use executive authority to bypass congress...that's exactly what Presidents throughout the ages have done, both Republican and Democrat, and now Boehner thinks that just because the Repubs have taken over leadership of the Senate (they already had the house, that's why we have had to endure the gridlock through the past few years, courtesy of Boehner and his partners in crime) Boehner thinks he can prohibit the POTUS from exercising his legal Executive authorities through veiled threats?

BO is bright enough to realize that he doesn't need Boehner and his PICs to accomplish things, so he'll do what he can to cooperate with the Republicans (he recently voiced "let's all get along" at a bipartisan meeting), but he's not going to let Boehner gut his authority, nor is he going to bow down and grovel to get congressional approval when he can do so without it.

The people of the United States deserve no less...

I predict a rough couple of years. If I'm right about what's going to occur, IMHO the Democratic party will regain many of the seats they lost in this past election the next time the opportunity presents itself, and if Hillary Clinton runs for POTUS I believe she will be unbeatable...so even if the Republicans manage to maintain their majorities in the legislative branch, the Repubs will still have to deal with a Democratic President. IMHO (again) I believe that Hillary Clinton has bigger balls than BO, so the Repubs had better get what they can while BO is in office, when he's gone and Clinton takes over I think the Repubs (and, perhaps, the U.S. in general) are in for a rocky next 8 years,.

Don't ya just love the idea?

Cheers!

Doug

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
You would think a Harvard grad would be smart enough to avoid hanging around an animated piece of shit like Al Sharpton. But no, evidently not.

Obama is a Harvard grad...and he "hangs around" with Sharpton, too.

Birds of a feather and all that...

It's going to be interesting to see if the GOPs actually walk the walk now. 1st indicator of that will be if they immediately move the 300 or so mostly bipartisan bills the House has past that have been sitting on REID's desk for y-e-a-r-s onto the PRESIDENT's desk on day-one.

It's always ticked me off whenever Reid/Obama/Pelosi or any of the rest of the Demos accussed the House of/for "doing nothing" and "obstructing" when the beaver dam has been Reid's desk the whole time! Buuuuuuut, those 'be' the same people who told us we could keep our doctor, 'keep our plan, Obamcare is NOT a tax, Benghazi was caused by a video, there's not a "smidgeon of corruption" in the IRS, the NSA is NOT spying on the American people, and on and on and on..so, that's not surprising.

Last edited:

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
Boehner "threatening" the POTUS?

...and the President/Reid/Pelosi haven't "made threats" over the past 6 years?????! Are you kidding me?

Admonishing him not to use executive authority to bypass congress...through veiled threats...

'Appears you may need to reread the constitution w/o "interpretation".

'I have my pen and a phone'...'If congress has no bill on my desk within six weeks that I can sign' (translation: if it isn't worded exactly the way >I< want it to read), I will do the exec order thing.

...that's why we have had to endure the gridlock through the past few years, courtesy of Boehner and his partners in crime...

Really? Remember that STACK of bills sitting on Reid's desk that have been SITTING THERE for lo these past 6 years?

...BO is bright enough to realize that he doesn't need Boehner and his PICs to accomplish things...

Uuuuuuuuh who has the power of the purse, sir? Any action BO takes that has to be funded won't get off the runway.

...he (BO) recently voiced "let's all get along" at a bipartisan meeting...

:lol::lol::lol::lol: He's "VOICED" a lot of things, but has done the exact opposite, has he not?

(E.g.: Can you say, "Red line in the sand"?)

Last edited:

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
It's going to be interesting to see if the GOPs actually walk the walk now. 1st indicator of that will be if they immediately move the 300 or so mostly bipartisan bills the House has past that have been sitting on REID's desk for y-e-a-r-s

It takes a 2/3 majority in both the House and the Senate to over-ride a presidential veto, Larry.

How long do you think it will take congress to make that happen 300 times? Talk about GRIDLOCK...nothing else will get done while Boehner and his partners in crime try to get all those bills passed...not exactly a speedy process, to be sure, what with lengthy debates and committee meetings and whatever else can be dreamed up to slow things down.

That is NOT exactly what the American public wants, in fact, it seems to me to be exactly what the public D O E S N ' T want...but if the Repubs force that issue, guess whose feet will be held to the fire for it?

.....right!

Doug

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
It WILL be interesting. I think it's funny that Boehner is trying to dictate to the President. Last I heard, the President doesn't take orders from the House Speaker. I think Boehner is trying to force Obama to act on his own with regard to immigration etc- so that the Congress has a perfect excuse for getting even with the President and doing nothing that he wants to accomplish. I'm disappointed in Boehner, but I expected about that. What else is new? Nothing.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
It takes a 2/3 majority in both the House and the Senate to over-ride a presidential veto, Larry.

Where did I suggest a veto override, Doug? I "suggested" defunding any exec order that bypasses congress which requires funding.

To my knowledge, exec orders were never intended to hand the president dictator/emperor/king/'strong man' powers. In fact, there is no constitutional provision (nor statute of which I'm aware) that explicitly permits executive orders. (If there IS, please show it to me.) And anyway, E.O.s as we know them today are supposedly limited to things like deciding how/to what degree laws should be enforced, waging war (rather than having to "declare" one), dealing with emergency situations, and 'policy choices' involving the implementation of broad laws/statutes. They were never intended to hand the president the same legislative powers as congress...not to mention handing him superior legislative powers. Were that the case, congress would effectively cease to exist and we'd have a dictatorship instead of a republic.

My own personal opinion is E.O.s should be limited to emergency situations only, buuuuuuuut, what do I know...

Back