OK, You guys fess up..I want to know...

You are welcome to your opinion

Thank you Graham.
I think you should take a look at the hinging door pictures and calm down a bit.
Personally anything that makes a '40 easier to live with I can understand, MP3 players, leather, aircon, rover/chevy engines whatever you like.
I am NOT refering to originality (I think NONE of us here have a car which is truly original) but if you are under the impression that "scissor doors" are truly designed to make your car "easier to live with" I think you are misguided. They are an accessory to "bling up" the more mundane vehicles on the road, end of story!
Why don't you post a poll, see what the members of the GT40s.com community think of Scissor doors on a GT40. I'd love to know if I'm out of touch.

Simon

Simon,

I don't think you are out of touch. I think you are actually spot on. I personally hate the scissor doors. Not for their original concept, as on a Lambo, they are an engineering marvel, and were for many, many years. What I hate is the fact that they have been co-opted by the bling brigade to "improve" what is probably a boring production car, thereby rendering them the height of bad taste.

As I said in my previous post, I just want to find a solution that will allow me to park the car should I choose to drive it to work, or hell, even the shops on a nice day without the fear of not being able to get back into it when someone decides that they want to park 12 inches from my car etc etc...

Posts such as "if you can't get out of your '40, you should lose some weight", whilst amusing, don't resolve the problem here in the UK of small parking spaces, and people parking next to you, unaware of the "Special needs" of ingress and egress from a '40.

I think I'll end up going for some kind of Targa solution which will give me the best of both worlds hopefully (once I've mastered the art of glassing :) ).

Graham.

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Graham I understand your thoughts now, I see where you coming from, didn't mean to imply you or anyone else is over weight, just that I like the doors the way they are. I have had some 250 lb guys in my car and it took a little grease to get them in and out. I understand about the parking issue, I try to find the furthest parking place from where ever I am going and usually I am the only car there till I return and everyone is parked around me. Same with the Lamborghini, its the nature of the beast.

Graham I understand your thoughts now, I see where you coming from, didn't mean to imply you or anyone else is over weight, just that I like the doors the way they are. I have had some 250 lb guys in my car and it took a little grease to get them in and out. I understand about the parking issue, I try to find the furthest parking place from where ever I am going and usually I am the only car there till I return and everyone is parked around me. Same with the Lamborghini, its the nature of the beast.

Jack,

No offence taken at all pal. I don't know if you've ever been to the UK, but the people in charge of all things seem to make car parking spaces so small that its hard enough to even get out of a Mini!!!

I'm not overwieght (well, maybe a little :) ), but I am lanky, so the grease is needed in other areas :)

All the best

Graham.

Personally, I think the idea of keeping the traditional shape door on the modern GT was a mistake. I say this because that car, being even bigger than the original GT40, is virtually impossible to park and exit. You also cannot have a single bay garage. I have a buddy with one and he has a single bay garage, and he has to park way off to one side to get out. A passenger must wait outside to be able to get in. But even more so, the thing I like the least about the GT is the HUGE A-pillar that had to be used to keep the chassis rigid. By going to a regular door, they could have made the car lighter, stiffer, more useful, and not changed the overall shape at all.

On the smaller GT40, the doors are a hassle, but they are also just part of the price of admission unfortunately. I see no way to fix it without seriously compromising style. I simply cannot use a scissor door. Does it make sense? Yes. But can you do it? No, the style police will arrest you and take your car.

That being said, the scissor door on the Countach was made out of necessity - the very necessity we are discussing: the door would not be able to be opened in a parking space because the car was too wide. And so a styling icon was born. If you have never operated the door on a Murcielago, I recommend you find one and try it. The mechanism is fantastic to behold, the thing feels like the door on a bank vault. I can see why people WANT to copy it, but it just shouldn't be done.

Personally, I think the idea of keeping the traditional shape door on the modern GT was a mistake. I say this because that car, being even bigger than the original GT40, is virtually impossible to park and exit. You also cannot have a single bay garage. I have a buddy with one and he has a single bay garage, and he has to park way off to one side to get out. A passenger must wait outside to be able to get in. But even more so, the thing I like the least about the GT is the HUGE A-pillar that had to be used to keep the chassis rigid. By going to a regular door, they could have made the car lighter, stiffer, more useful, and not changed the overall shape at all.

On the smaller GT40, the doors are a hassle, but they are also just part of the price of admission unfortunately. I see no way to fix it without seriously compromising style. I simply cannot use a scissor door. Does it make sense? Yes. But can you do it? No, the style police will arrest you and take your car.

That being said, the scissor door on the Countach was made out of necessity - the very necessity we are discussing: the door would not be able to be opened in a parking space because the car was too wide. And so a styling icon was born. If you have never operated the door on a Murcielago, I recommend you find one and try it. The mechanism is fantastic to behold, the thing feels like the door on a bank vault. I can see why people WANT to copy it, but it just shouldn't be done.

You are SO right...

I've even thought about the classic Mercedes gullwing as an option, but i daren't lose any more height out of the roof, as I'm 6'3" ...

There must be an engineering genius out there who can offer both, a standard opening door for normal use, around normal people, and a scissor option for use when you have no other opion. I've never seen it as a style option, it's always been functional to me. As I said in a previous post, the whole concept has been co-opted by neanderthals, which has destroyed the original and very functional idea.

Graham.

Back