OK, You guys fess up..I want to know...

How many of you thought about or considered putting Lambo style hinges on your GT's ? I can't remember how many times I have been to car shows and they put me between two cars and then not be able to open the doors wide enough to get out. Boy is this a pain. I saw a neat set of hinges used on some of those Tuner cars where the door will actually open both ways, out or up. I gotta admitt that appeals to me. I know, I know it's sacrelige but it really makes sense. Maybe that's why most super cars doors open like that.

Hersh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hey Hersh...u mean something as this? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

7050314.002.1M.jpg

ham_996_front.jpg

Paul

IMHO, too many supercars and tuners do it now (saw a
couple of Civics with scissor doors recently /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif )

Be a real man Hersh - go gullwing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Ian

Howard Jones

Supporter
OK, this is like going to the dentist. I know its a good idea.......... But on second thought I bet it would sell more cars....... To the very people who shouldn't have one........Damn there I go again........Sorry.

Ian Clark

Supporter
Ok, I'll go along with Hersh on this one, if you believe there's a market for "evolution GT40s". There would have to be a hinge on the A-Pillar which would take care of the door top lifting the next time you're doing 165plus:)

Cheers

OK so now i can hit my head on the bottom of the doors instead of the top of the doors. Brilliant Hersh jerry mcGlothin

The new GT should've had them doors on it too. They are huge and require a big parking spot. I would be hard to bring my self to do it. The hinges I saw allows you to open the door normally or they could be pushed up. You had to go one way or the other. You couldn't go up after you pass a certain point and you couldn't go out after you pushed up. So if you used these hinges you could keep it to yourself until you had to open them upward.
It really seems to be a harmless addition. Isn't putting eight barrel injection on your car instead of webers the samething. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hersh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hersh - I actually like the idea from the standpoint of improved ingress/egress. The hinges aren't cheap and they are supposedly 'model specific' (approx $1000 USD not including installation). However, a clever fabricator like yourself could probably work something out. Here's a site that has two types: 1) swing out and up and 2) swing directly up (Countach style).

http://www.aerokits.net/DiabloHinge/gtf.htm

I wouldn't mock you for such a thing. However, if you start putting 'big chrome dubs' and giant stereo speakers all over the place, I'll pretend I don't know you when I see you!?! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Mitch

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
[ QUOTE ]
.....It really seems to be a harmless addition. Isn't putting eight barrel injection on your car instead of webers the samething.

[/ QUOTE ]
Gee Hersh, now you hitting below the belt /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Actually, the doors swinging wide is just another unique aspect of this love affair we all have with this car.

Hey Hershal, Go ahead and do it and tell us how good a system and how easy it is to install and what problems show up. Joseph /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
My understanding of these aftermarket hinges are that they open out a small amount, to allow the door latch to "come off" the striker and then go up so they would probably allow the door wings to clear the eyebrow retainers. Remember that when this is done on a rice burner they still use the original latch & striker so there must be horizontal inward movement at the start and finish of the cycle.

Wrong???? I dunno, as was said so long as you don't have dubs it might be OK...
Rick

I guess you could. That way you could park close to those big two door cars at Wal Mart and they could put lovely dents and dings in your paint. You could retain that extra 10 lbs of fat because you parked closer to the front.
On a negative note, you would not knock sense into your head every time you got out. We would have a bunch of dummies driving lambo door GT40s.
if you take a 40 to a car show and they dont give you enough room to open the door, ask them to provide more room or leave the show. We have an all ford show each year and try to accomodate special requests.

I just want to share some development work we did in my company in the 90´s. I did the doorhinge for the Solon electric car as well as all mechanical development and the Koenigsegg doorhinge. I´m the owner of these products and therefor it is ok to publish. I found some old prototype stuff in the shells and also one doorhinge on my own old project. The Solon door just went out 10cm and then flipped up 90 degree. I´m helping MR Kobees who was one of the owner of SOLON AB to make a dorrhinge and that car will be put at the technical museum in Stockholm. The Koenigsegg have an bevel gear in the doorhinge that roll up the door in the same time as the door open. If anyone has an intereat in these type of doorhinge I have all old fixtures to build them. I will look into my old archive and see if I have some more pic.

Best reg!

Goran

Attachments

• 66443-PICT6040.JPG
    66443-PICT6040.JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 492
Back