OK, You guys fess up..I want to know...

Bringing this out one of retirement for opinions. The kits have moved on now and are more available worldwide.

Is it still Blasphemy to use these, or has the world moved on?

I'd be interested in your opinions....

Cheers,

Graham.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I don't know if it's truly blasphemy - but either way it would still be difficult to get in/out of the car in a single parking space in a garage.

Not my bowl of rice to be sure...

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter

Attachments

• Doors 1.jpg
    Doors 1.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 350

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
These things are a joke. Around here, they are an absolute indicator of bad taste and stupidity. The Lambo door kit should include 24" wheels, blacked-out windows, LED lights, and the phone number of the nearest bail bondsman, since the owner will need to call them sooner rather than later.

These things are a joke. Around here, they are an absolute indicator of bad taste and stupidity. The Lambo door kit should include 24" wheels, blacked-out windows, LED lights, and the phone number of the nearest bail bondsman, since the owner will need to call them sooner rather than later.

+1 Jim. Although you missed off the spinning chrome wheel trim things

Surely you must have a Honda (or some other jelly bean car) that you can take to the mall!
I think that anybody who did that to a 40 would probably be banned from the Forum for Life!

There's a much simpler solution to egress when the door can't be opened far enough - just step up onto the sill and out over the front of the door.

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Graham,
So, it is written.
Should you continue with these heretical thoughts.
There is only one fitting punishment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Graham,
So, it is written.
Should you continue with these heretical thoughts.
There is only one fitting punishment.

Where did you get that picture of me from :stunned: :):):):)

I KNOW that they are the absolute HEIGHT of bad taste. I just want to try to make it easier to get in and out of the car. I'm building what for me will be a road car, and I want to do some miles in it. I plan on driving it to work on nice days etc etc...

So maybe I should go for a removeable roof, which was my original thought. That is still a pain though...

Please can I be forgiven now, as I'm not really a major heretic, I just want to use the car as much as possible, which MUST be a good thing!
please...please... :):):)

Graham, I'm on your side regarding road car usefulness. While the door swinging open horizontally with the piece of roof attached is very much a 40 signature (like the distinctive instrument panel), the vertical swing up is much more useful.
Attached is a photo of a car with this useful door action for egress, for those who want to really use their cars and not just have closet queens.
This car is a modified DRB with hinging windows, plus high-mounted electric mirrors (by DRB) to give clear rearward vision past the large wheel arches. The doors move out a short way laterally, then rotate up. Looks funny but works.
In case I'm threatened with punishment according to the posted photo, this is all satirical and these thoughts are in no way mine.

Attachments

• 6765297A.jpg
    6765297A.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 314
  • 6765320A.jpg
    6765320A.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 310

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
James - I had to remove your picture. Sorry.. This is not the Paddock.

Graham - I've always been a proponent of doing whatever it takes to please YOU the car's owner and builder. If we all tried to please everyone else with how we build our cars, we'd never get anything done and we'd certainly have a car that compromised our own tastes/likes and needs..

So - in other words - if Lambo doors make it easier for you and that's your desire - GO for it... I won't put you down..

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
James that gives me chills.

I own an LP400s now for 20 years, its 30 years old, there are millions of kids that want to see the door open and close, I oblige and usually with them in the car for a photo shoot. You can put the same door on a Honda but its still a Honda. If you have a hard time getting in and out of the 40, maybe you need to diet.

Attachments

• new ford and lambo pics 005.jpg
    new ford and lambo pics 005.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 237
  • new ford and lambo pics 013.jpg
    new ford and lambo pics 013.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 240

Bill Kearley

Supporter
What a thing to wake up to on a saturday morning !!!!!!!!!!!!!
This can't be hapening,you please get out of the sun.
Bill

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
You're right, I forgot the things on the wheels that spin faster than the wheels do. Which must violate some law of thermodynamics or something....

As far as the doors go, I would make the top sections removeable, like several of the Mark V cars had- including Peter's original one. Still, it isn't easy. And I'm certain that standard GT40 doors leak in the rain; can't wait to find out for myself.

Attached is a photo of a car with this useful door action for egress, for those who want to really use their cars and not just have closet queens

HUH?

This is the perfect way to screw up a perfectly good car! does it have those blue light thingies lighting up the ground and a "bangin" (whatever that means) stereo? maybe it should be fitted with a 1200cc four cylinder engine so theres room enought for some huge amps? Awful!
Simon
(not jmho, but surely that of every true GT40 enthusiast)

HUH?

This is the perfect way to screw up a perfectly good car! does it have those blue light thingies lighting up the ground and a "bangin" (whatever that means) stereo? maybe it should be fitted with a 1200cc four cylinder engine so theres room enought for some huge amps? Awful!
Simon
(not jmho, but surely that of every true GT40 enthusiast)

Soooooo......

Everyone who has aircon - bin it!
Everyone who has a reversing camera - bin it!
Everyone who has an MP3 player in their car - Bin it!
Everyone who has EFI - Bin it!
Everyone who has a nice leather dash - Bin it!

Do you see where i'm going with this...

all these things make a '40 a more pleasant experience to a lot of owners.

Where was the uproar about having an MP3 player in your car, because you OBVIOUSLY must be unworthy of driving a GT40 replica.

You are welcome to your opinion, everyone is, but unfortunately you made the statement "(not jmho, but surely that of every true GT40 enthusiast)"

Can you quantify what a "true GT40 entusiast is?" Last time I checked, it was someone who loved the marque enough to see it continued in a close proximity to the original.

So, if I install an LS7 for example, am I then an UNTRUE GT40 enthusiast.

When I was originally looking for a GT40 you were incredibly helpful in giving me information regards a GTD that was available. You have never been anything other thatn gracious towards me. However, please don't speak for me, as I AM a TRUE GT40 enthsiast, and I am quite capable of speaking for myself.

Graham.

Back