pilot bushing

Is there a special pilot bushing that I need for my 347? A standard ford 302 bearing or bronze bushing does not have enough relief for the length of the input shaft on my ZF, the cogs on the shaft hit the face of the bushing.

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
It should not be any different than a std 302 bearing/bushing.

How much is remaining to go when the spline shit? What bellhousing are you using?

There's a Pantera owner/machinist named Marlin Jack who lives in central California, and makes oillite pilot bushings specifically for the ZF-into-Ford application. Reportedly these things are terrific. Here's the info:

Pilot Bearing: Oilite Bronze, NONmagnetic, Self-Lubricating $65. ea. plus
$3.85 shipping. Contact Marlin Jack at: pantera1974 at verizon.net

I did it another way, put a 10mm spacer between bellhousing and gearbox, gave just enough room for a bigger clutch and thrust bearing as well, Frank

I did it another way, put a 10mm spacer between bellhousing and gearbox, gave just enough room for a bigger clutch and thrust bearing as well, Frank
So you don't use a pilot bushing at all? Inputshaft hangs free?

OT How can you use a bronze solid piece instead of a needle bearing? Won't this cause high friction between inputshaft and crankshaft?

Last edited:

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
The M1 ZF has a shorter input shaft, the spacer was not necessary for me but most all the US Pantera ZF's had to use the spacer between the bell housing and the block. My problem was the metric shaft on the M1 and US standard on the block so I had to machine a bronze bushing.

Back