Porsche GT3 vs GT40

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
Yes Ron the Datsun is a great car for humiliating Ferrari and Porsche owners who think they know how to drive.I used to love driving my Datsun at sprint meetings where the waxers appear.My car only had those little twin SU carbies too but it was fast.The best thing about those cars is they don't break, even after the horrible way I used to treat the thing.I think if you want to abuse the GT40 as you do the "z" though the transaxle may appear as the weak link.Just turning my europa into a Toyotus at the moment.20v 4age/160hp replacing the blown Renault.Don't think this car will take the pounding I gave the Z though.Funny your round the other side of the world and we have the same interest in similar cars.Great Forum this.

Regards Ross

Hi Gregg,

In December 19th 2004, Top Gear aired an episode with a segment pitting the Noble M400 up against a GT40 in a racing showdown around their test track. Both cars were driven individually the Stig. I cannot say with certainty that the GT40 was an original. A member from another board who claimed to be at the Top Gear test track that day said the GT40 had 400bhp and ran several practice laps because of problems with filming.

Unfortunately, Top Gear (to my knowledge) hasn't posted the official lap times, but the GT40 did end up beating the M400 by 0.6 seconds. Top Gear has no official time for the M400 around their test track, but for comparison, the Noble M12 GTO-3 ran 1:25.0, and the Porsche GT3 RS has since clocked 1:22.3.

Granted the quality of the comparison is poor at best, but food for thought nonetheless. For more top gear laptimes, go to: http://www.topgear.com/content/tgonbbc2/laptimes/thestig/

Cheers,
Rob

Interesting list. Looks like the Areil Atom is the best bang for the buck. Not sure what these go for, but must be about $50k. Third fastest at only .5 sec behind the Enzo and .6 sec behind the MC12 (both very afordable cars - for Bill Gates that is).

Several other interesting comparisons on the list - the Exige (basically an Elise) posted faster than the GT3 (but not the improved time you list), and the M3 (doesn't say which chassis) was only 0.4 sec faster than the Ford Focus! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Mark

Here's a picture of the car that be the M400. Perhaps one of you guys can identify it.

Rob

Attachments

• 66783-GT40-1a.jpg
    66783-GT40-1a.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 341
In answer to the question how does the GT40 compare to a GT3, Well I'm one of them unfortunate people who has had a GTD40, sold it,currently building another GTD 40 but have to go to work each day with my road car a GT3. Do I put a sticker in the rear window saying my other cars a GT40 or in the 40 my other cars a GT3 ?????? It's a hard one.
My first GTD was a fast road car but with only 300 BHP ish and road car set up it would be no match for the GT3. In straight line maybe, but the porker will go round corners quick in the dry.Thats not to say that a good powerful 40 well set up will eat up the GT3 on the straight.
I have seen good drivers in mild 40's do wonders with there cars in dry and wet conditions.

My first GTD40 now sold on.
PICT0017.jpg

My old workmobile

mygt3006.jpg

My other car prior to being road registered , Ultima Can Am with 600 BHP engine that's slightly less than is going into my new GTD40

PICT0037.jpg

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Interesting thread...I have to say that what Ken Miles found "easy to drive" might not mean much to the average Joe- or even the above average Joe. Miles was a formidable driver AND car development driver. What would be interesting would be a comparison test with a really seasoned driver running all of these around the same course and giving his opinion on each of them. Old vs new, that kind of thing? Is anyone from OCTANE listening? Hello out there? This kind of thing is right up their alley.

Brian Stewart
Supporter
Chris Amon also commented on the ease with which the GT40 could be driven, stating that it was a very comfortable car to drive quickly. I seem to recall Clarkson driving a group of 200mph supercars (F40, GT40, Jaguar XJR, Jaguar XK220, Bugatti EB410? and maybe something else) back to back some years ago . His verdict? The F40 was the easiest to live with, the most fun and the most easily chuckable - followed closely by the GT40.

I believe Keith has his motors prepared/dynod at Knight Racing Services - Very Helpful Bunch!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

So Flywheel figures - but nice BIG ENGLISH SHIRE HORSES.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The motors sound awesome - not one for the 105dB Goodwood day though.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I've just bought a GT3 RS and it looks like I'll be at Goodwood on Novemer 14th. It'll be interesting!? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Attachments

• 67014-gt3.jpg
    67014-gt3.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 360

Gregg

Gregg
Lifetime Supporter
Congratulations JP. I will be looking for the results on the 15th.

Keith, nice cars. It's tough being poor, isn't it? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[ QUOTE ]
""A modern car like the Porsche will eat the gt40 without breaking a sweat.""

How many times has the GT3 won overall at LeMans?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think thats relevant.

I'm not even sure of the relevance of this thread anyway!? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Jose:

You're problem is that you own the car.

Now if you were to drive it as though you had stolen it, you'd be much faster.
As a mutual (nameless) friend observes; "There are no Puerto Rican F1 drivers."

Jim

PS: ...and is any of this relevant at all?

[ QUOTE ]
Jose:

You're problem is that you own the car.

Now if you were to drive it as though you had stolen it, you'd be much faster.
As a mutual (nameless) friend observes; "There are no Puerto Rican F1 drivers."

Jim

PS: ...and is any of this relevant at all?

[/ QUOTE ]

This GT3 Rs is not normal, much like me! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

It has upgraded Brembo floating disks on the front with a racing setup by PARR. Engine is standard. 400 bhp.

If I drove it with Classic FM on the stereo it would still be fast. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BUT, I never said it would be as quick as a 40. I know its not as quick as my F40 on a straight because I blew 3 of these away with ease!

But I was driving with a firey intention at the time! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

However, all 3 then passed me through the corners with ease. I was very impressed. They managed to drive home afterwards, whilst I had to phone my wife up and tell her that I just watched the F40 go up in flames.

So a GT3 is very quick and you can drive it back and forth to the track with unbelievable ease.

Unfortunately now that I've said this, I'm sure the car will explode into a thousand pieces next time I get near the track.!!

No Puerto Rican F1 driver but no USA either. Lets see if you put your new GT40 on the track now to see how fast are you going to be. The last one ran many miles in a Trailer.

Malcolm

Supporter
Well if you want to see which is quicker, come to Goodwood on 15th November and see JP in his new GT3 and Charles and I in our GTD's. If it is wet then I am out the running as my tyres are Dunlop post historic cross plies! But Charles is on Goodyear Eagle F1's so can keep up the challenge wet or dry. So wet or dry there should be an answer to this question on equal terms to both cars soon. There can be no timing now due to insurance conditions but we should be able to get a good feel of where we stand. I assume JP is up for this? :)

Back