questoin

Does anyone in Australia know anything about this?

A WARNING FROM DICK SMITH:
You may be aware that " Dick Smith " chain franchise stores are being pressured by the Islamic Council of Australia to gain 'Halal Certification' otherwise they will be proscribed and banned from Muslim custom. This is their response:

A MESSAGE FROM DICK SMITH.
"We at Dick Smith 's have received a number of letters from people asking if we will be putting the Muslim Halal logo on our food. To acquire Halal certification, payment is required to the endorsing body (the Islamic Council) and involves a number of site inspections of both our growers and processors in order to ensure that our practices comply with the conditions of Halal certification.

It is important to note that this does not reflect the quality of the food being processed or sold – it only means that the products are approved as being prepared in accordance with the traditions of the Muslim faith.

We are aware of an increasing number of large companies both in Australia and overseas, such as Kraft and Cadbury, who have obtained accreditation to use the Halal logo. We don’t believe they have done this because of any religious commitment but rather for purely commercial reasons. Perhaps these large organizations can afford to
do this.

While we have a choice however, we would prefer to avoid unnecessarily increasing the cost of our products in order to pay for Halal accreditation when this money would be better spent continuing to support important charitable causes where assistance is greatly needed.

We point out that we have never been asked to put a Christian symbol (or any other religious symbol) on our food requiring that we send money to a Christian organization
for the right to do so.

Others would add that money paid to ANY Muslim 'organization' (and you had better believe it: these people ARE 'organized') can easily find its way into the hands of Islamic extremist-fanatics and murderers, irrespective of assurances to the contrary. What other assurances do we accept from Muslims? Oh, that's right, 'Islam is a religion of PEACE'!
How less Australian can companies get, than to place money into the hands of those who seek to exploit us?"

This is an example of how the leaders of Muslims in Aus/NZ are bullying large commercial organizations

(especially in the food industry) into paying what is no more than blatant extortion money.

The amazing part is that these weak-kneed organizations (Cadbury/ Schweppes/ Nestles/ Kraft etc.) actually pay the large sums demanded by these self-appointed religious bureaucrats. Of course, the manufacturers promptly pass this levy on to unwitting consumers as cost increases. Next time you buy a block of Cadbury's chocolate, look for the Halal Certification seal on the wrapper.

So, regardless of your own religious faith, you end up subsidizing Islam.
The Council also controls the Muslim voter bloc which, as yet, does not have sufficient critical mass to make a difference - but give them time. Several state jurisdictions are under pressure to adopt or permit Sharia Law in Marriage, Family and Property matters and some, under the delusion that they are being progressively liberal, are permitting this.

Keith

It's a hoax Al, and the Dick Smith Group have asked that people stop circulating it. From their website, this is what they actually said regarding Halal Certification, no more, no less..

"We have received a number of letters from people asking if we will be putting the Muslim Halal logo on our food.

To acquire Halal certification, payment is required to the endorsing body and involves a number of site inspections of both our growers and processors in order to ensure that our practices comply with the conditions of Halal certification. It is important to note that this does not reflect the quality of the food being processed or sold – it only means that the products are approved as being prepared in accordance with the traditions of the Muslim faith.

We are aware of an increasing number of large companies both in Australia and overseas, such as Kraft and Cadbury, who have obtained accreditation to use the Halal logo. We don’t believe they have done this because of any religious commitment but rather for purely commercial reasons. Perhaps these large organisations can afford to do this. While we have a choice however, we would prefer to avoid unnecessarily increasing the cost of our products in order to pay for Halal accreditation when this money would be better spent continuing to support important charitable causes where assistance is greatly needed."

Halal Certification on Our Food

Questoin?
Big difference between a lion and a loin... ;)

Given the aim of this thread it is slightly ironic that one thing Dick Smith is famous for is his opposition to American companies taking over old Australian companies.
As you mentioned Cadbury - America please leave Australia's chocolate alone. It is so bloody sweet now it is ridiculous. Also - take your revolting fructose syrup and give us back sugar.
Cadbury want to own a colour and it seems they are gunning for obesity and diabetes rates to match the US as well...

Fructose syrup is the new tobacco.

Tim.

Mention should also be made of Cadbury's Vegemite chocolate - is there no food the US doesn't think it can fix by adding more sugar (substitute)?

Tim.

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
Mention should also be made of Cadbury's Vegemite chocolate - is there no food the US doesn't think it can fix by adding more sugar (substitute)?

Tim.

Easy answer...NO. I've even found that a lunch meal at some of the very few restaurants that serve a decent selection of some "home cooked" vegetables, throw in a little sugar to "enhance" the taste (which detracts from the taste for me).

You really have to try hard to eat out in America, and get a meal without some sort of sweetener thrown in, or excessive fat content.

Keith

You should never have to apologise for telling the truth. Halal certification is a Muslim tax on our food.

In most cases, we have also been paying a 'kosher' tax for years too...

There is no certification or labelling though..

I do not believe either method of food preparation a problem, they can kill and eat how they wish but the elephant in the room is the lack of choice foisted upon the rest of us.

In most cases, we have also been paying a 'kosher' tax for years too...

There is no certification or labelling though..

I do not believe either method of food preparation a problem, they can kill and eat how they wish but the elephant in the room is the lack of choice foisted upon the rest of us.
Funny, I can't remember buying kosher food. At the same time I wouldn't want a tax forced on me and would stop buying whatever it is.

Keith

Kosher is another form of 'ritual killing' as per Halal. Abattoirs the world over have been using Kosher methods (no stunning) for years yet unannounced and clearly for commercial gain.

It's the stealth lack of information and choice I object to. Like I say, if people want their animals slaughtered in a certain way, fine, but don't expect me to subsidise your weird ways..

At the moment though, it seems I have no choice,,,,

Keith

Sorry Al you just lost me there. In Europe at least, animals are slaughtered in accordance with Kosher guidelines and have been for years. I didn't ask for that, nor Halal ritual either. I am not making a distinction here I am saying that both methods are carried out on my food without my consent, and I can't opt out.

If you are trying to goad me into taking sides I am not falling for it because that is not the subject of this conversation, but fucking with your food in the name of religion (whatever that might be) without consent, is.

Back