RCR's Next car should be.....

That's a really good point, and Fran's current lineup does not include any "conventional" f. engine r. drive cars (right?); there are certainly loads of gorgeous and siginficant vehicles in that configuration.

Fran mentions the Aston DBRs; but (at the risk of thinking too conventionally) let's not forget the obvious Ferrari GTO, TDF and Testa Rossa..... Those are perphaps the ultimate examples of "even if I had one I wouldn't drive it around". And they can be built using boring old tubes while reasonably authentic engines aren't too hard to find if you're willing to accept mid-cam intake like a 400i or FI like in a 456 or 550.

View attachment 51914 View attachment 51917

But to generalize and not get too stuck on F-cars: why are the Cobra and Cobra Daytona the only front-engine cars to get the serious kit/roller repllica "treatment"?

Oh, and by the way, I've always wanted one of these:

View attachment 51916

Alan,

Very nice picks. I'd love an old GTO or TR recreation. Perhaps with a 400i engine to keep costs reasonable.

Trouble is, if you took it to some kind of f-car event there would undoubtedly be some f-car dick head making snide remarks about originality. As if you were trying to con people into thinking it's an original...

New guy here.
I have always liked the idea of matching the engine to the replica. That is why the Cobras and GT40s are such a natural choice. Same could be said for the Lolas.
So, if replicating a classic, the CanAm cars with Chevy power like the McLarens or even better, the early Chapparal cars would be great.
The Alfa T33s, either stradale or the race cars could be powered with Alfa V8s from the Montreals although rusty Montreals are getting harder to find nowdays. Tecnomagnesio makes the T33 wheels too.
The Porsche 907 or 908 with a 911 motor would be doable too.
For me, as my choice for an open wheeled racer, would be the Ferrari 156 mentioned before. There are still Fiat Dino engines around in the iron block 246 version but my choice would be the alloy block 2.0L 206 version for this car. Mated to a 5 speed transaxle from a fwd Audi 4000S, it would be pure bliss. That is a really good tranny IMO and would be perfect for the power of the Dino motor.
My vote for the modern racer would be the Ferrari 333SP.

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
....I'd love an old GTO or TR recreation. ....Trouble is, if you took it to some kind of f-car event there would undoubtedly be some f-car dick head ...

Sure, but the only reason I can think of to go to an f-car event would be to torment the (undoubtedly multiple) f-car dick heads in residence.... :lipsrsealed:

If it is an F-car you want, how about a Competition Daytona replica.
I have often thought that this would be the best thing for all those forlorn McBurnie Daytona spyder bodies laying around.
I recently saw a real Comp. Daytona which raced in period, then was converted to a spyder when they were all astronomical, and has now been restored back to its competition configuration which is now way more desirable.
Has RCR ever made a long tail for the 917? Sure would like a Hippy Car replica...

Dusty

GT40s Supporter
I'm anxiously waiting for the C8 mid engine corvette for 2020 (Can we hope for a Carbon cockpit and frame by then?). :) I saw some C7 pics...much like the C6 I'll have to get used to the new body. I still think the C5 Z06 is among the best looking corvettes especially lowered.

Just to veer back to the thread heading for a moment.....
I wish Fran would get a move on, as he's falling way behind in the list of all the "next cars" we have prepared for him.
Put your favourite sheep down, and get with the program Fran :)

What about a radical type body on your SL-R chassis?

radical-sr3-rs-on-track-race.jpg

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Has RCR ever made a long tail for the 917? Sure would like a Hippy Car replica...
user_offline.gif

The long tail "hippie" car was very nice, but years ago I saw this one at the Le Mans Museum. Incredably Beautiful!

Last edited:

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Fran, Molleur,

I know its not practical, its just when I saw that car it took my beath away!

I do not think I have ever seen a more "Elegantly Beautiful" car. The shape and paint and go together PERFECTLY!

Last edited:
A 333 body for the roadster would be a killer aero upgrade! Don't think it would work with the high upper chassis bar though...

It would have to be a single seater coupe chassis :lipsrsealed:

Back