RCR's Next car should be.....

John M..
the transaxle situation...whats the problem?
There are many transaxles available and with a little work all can be made to fit the majority of the range..

Plus there is new one on the horizon ...

There is a reason I dont have any front engine cars....:thumbsup:...the engines are at the wrong end.

Last edited:
There is a reason I dont have any front engine cars....:thumbsup:...the engines are at the wrong end.

You're absolutely right fran. Although there is a package solution that does work with a front engine, the mercedes SLR.....
Would be cool to do one like this....

So would that be interesting to do? A replica of the mclaren version.or a new design.
I know a guy that could make you a beautiful design ;-)

Last edited:
I think the next car Fran makes needs to be front engine and of RCR's own design. It would really simplify the whole transaxle situation. It would be neat to see something on the lines of the old Panoz GT-1. Plus, RCR doesn't have a front engine car!

I don't know. Starting an entirely new configuration would involve quite a lot of design (-$), fabrication (-$), testing (-$), marketing (-$), etc. (-$).

Wouldn't he have to take some of his crew [or new hires] off of revenue collecting activities (-$), and put them on the above development (-$) activities in rededicated or new floorspace (-$) with new designs (-$), jigs (-$) and tools (-$)?

Meanwhile, he's paying (-$) his current crew to complete product (-$) to fulfill existing orders (+$$$).

It seems like he's got a good thing going right now (MUCH experience w/mid engine chassis [semi-universal?], classic bodies/SLC & leading (bleeding?) edge one-offs that establish/maintain his design/development bona-fides.

It's none of my business, but I wouldn't change a working business model in today's economy unless I had a customer w/a BIG wad of cash (up front).

My $.02.

NO disrespect to the artists amoung us but the design/renderings of the exterior is actually just the tip of the iceberg... actually making the "design" a producable item is massively expensive and time consuming...dont ask me how I know....

I had to make a whirlwind trip to Detroit to pick up a left side fiberglass stock car body used to create one of my patented twin station tire change activities and the meeting place between myself and my vendor (Performance Fiberglass in Ont.) was non-other than RCR Replica Race Cars. I'm not sure what excited me more, my need to retain the body parts to complete that fabrication or being able to meet Fran personally and witness first hand his creative and technical accomplishments at his shop. Either way our visit, lunch and tour were highlights for my week this week!

While there I shared with Fran a few photos of my latest build .... could something like this be a possible next design project for RCR?:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Thanks for your hospitality, Fran.

Dick Bear

IMG_1668.jpg

IMG_1870.jpg

IMG_1869.jpg

The engine is a refreshed (but stock) LT1 Chevy taken from a late 90's Camaro and the transaxle is from 2002 VW Passat with a custom design adaptor plate and after market clutch/flywheel.

My theory concerning the power generated by he engine as opposed to the size and strength of the transaxle is: the lightweight of the car (1,800 lb.) will offset the possibility of damage to the transaxle through drive wheel spin. That's the theory and if correct the cost difference between the VW Passat ($200 each) and a proven large bodied transaxle ($4-8,000 each) will keep the system within my means. We'll see! :rolleyes:

Dick Bear

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
That same theory seems to be working out for a lot of guys here too Dick... A lot of Audi 016 transaxles with 300+ HP going through them...

Back