RCR's Next car should be.....

Not that I have the money, but I'd like to see a mini-SLC. The next generation Mazda rotary sounds like a great choice for the engine, but a Cayman drivetrain would make a lot of sense because it has paddle shift already. 235/35-19 & 295/30-19 would provide plenty of choices for tires.

MAZDA:16X | The Rotary Engine

Not that I have the money, but I'd like to see a mini-SLC. The next generation Mazda rotary sounds like a great choice for the engine, but a Cayman drivetrain would make a lot of sense because it has paddle shift already.
Fran did do an achingly beautiful 904 (one off) that should be able to accommodate the Cayman drivetrain.

Not that I have the money, but I'd like to see a mini-SLC. The next generation Mazda rotary sounds like a great choice for the engine, but a Cayman drivetrain would make a lot of sense because it has paddle shift already. 235/35-19 & 295/30-19 would provide plenty of choices for tires.

The SLC makes a Lamborghini Gallardo look like a bus when the two are next to each other. I'm not sure how much smaller you can get it.

By 'modern aerodynamics', what exactly do you mean? Do you presume the SLC is not aerodynamic?

I think in terms of the line up Fran is running, the GTA would be considered the 'baby brother' to the SLC.

a mini SLC with 19 inch wheels.....HHMM....something doesn't sound right....as the curret one only uses 18 in front and 19 in rear...or 18 all the way round for racing...

Many people would like to think that the SLC is already too small but having had a guy 6'6' sit in it last week ...that myth is once more dispelled...with that said why would you want a smaller car....?

Benji is right the GTA is the baby brother....in price..

attachment.php

Not the best pic, but you can see the SLC is much lower/smaller than the yellow bus in the back ground!

yes/No.....it will have 18 inch diameter...but they will not be 14 inches wide....tyres would be next to impossible to find and damn expensive to boot.

By 'modern aerodynamics', what exactly do you mean? Do you presume the SLC is not aerodynamic?

I think in terms of the line up Fran is running, the GTA would be considered the 'baby brother' to the SLC.
I was comparing the SLC's aerodynamics with the 904's. Fran's 904 replica is awesome, but I'd also like to see a small car with aerodynamics similar to the SLC. The GTA is tame compared to the SLC. I'd also like to see paddle shift.

Paddle shift = big dollars.....the tiptronic system would be the least expensive way to go but making the electronics work in a non OEM environment is not a small task in itself...
Or go with a Fezza drivetrain from a V8...355 through 458 and there is the electronics issue once more...

OK, so let's ditch the paddle shift and the 19" wheels. I still like the idea of a mini-SLC for a variety of reasons. Modern aerodynamics provide more safety, stability and performance than older designs. Newer tires are easy to find, compared to finding the ideal tire for a GT40 or 904 replica. Last but not least, the SLC is RCR's masterpiece, and I think it would be a good idea to stick with that theme.

I bet the engine will still make under 300hp and have a very short life if pushed over 300hp.

I was comparing the SLC's aerodynamics with the 904's. Fran's 904 replica is awesome, but I'd also like to see a small car with aerodynamics similar to the SLC. The GTA is tame compared to the SLC. I'd also like to see paddle shift.

Anything could be considered tame compared to the SLC but without any further information on the GTA how can you begin to gauge where it sits in comparison to the SLC?

Given the potential for the GTA I'm going to go out there and say it'll probably be way more capable than most people would like to admit, less so than the SLC but still way out there. I'm not here to blow wind up Fran's arse but I don't think Fran is going to release something with crappy handling, the guy does his R&D.

I'm still confused as to what you are getting at? It sounds like you want an SLC but... what? You want it to be physically smaller? As has already been pointed out, the SLC is actually smaller than you'd think. If physical size isn't what you're getting at then what?

I bet the engine will still make under 300hp and have a very short life if pushed over 300hp.
You must be old.
Because of the increased displacement, it would only take a ~3% increase in specific output to push it past 300 hp.
The larger displacement is only a small factor. The bigger change is a skinnier rotor with a longer face and reshaped combustion chamber making it much more effecient, along with direct injection. We'll see if it ever gets produced though as the news of this engine is quite old.

I don't think Fran is going to release something with crappy handling, the guy does his R&D.
I never said anything about crappy handling, but the GTA seems mainstream compared to the SLC.

I'm still confused as to what you are getting at? It sounds like you want an SLC but... what? You want it to be physically smaller? As has already been pointed out, the SLC is actually smaller than you'd think. If physical size isn't what you're getting at then what?
Yes, physically smaller, and less powerful. Where I come from, it's bad etiquette to show up with a fast and expensive car if you don't have the skills to go with it. In the track events that I do, the average car is a lightly modded STi or Evo. The fastest guys are driving modded 350Zs. They're way more talented than me, so I wouldn't want to beat them by out spending them. The SLC is comparable to a Group C1 car. I'd like to see something comparable to a C2.

For you maybe.....but I fear you may be in the minority..

The SLC is actually close to the GTP lights size...its much smaller than a GTP car and smaller than an LMP1

Last edited:
Back