RF 117 wins !!

The Data logger (Motec M800) reads rear wheel speed and engine revs and displays which gear you are in on the Motec dash and in the logged data, ( using the ratios that we load into the system,) This all works well when you are driving but if you have a spin or an "off" and grab a gear in a hurry it will not display what gear that is untill you start moving (forewords) again.

It would be better to have potentiometers but the engineering involved was deemed excessive for the derived benefit.

The conversation went a bit like this :-
"if you stop spinning then you wont need it will you ?"

I have posted a few laps on you tube, the quality (of the film !) is nowhere near as good as Tims but still passable

1hr Laps IP.wmv

Hi all... I had the pleasure of helping prepare Iain's GT40 across the weekend... and I also just happen to be a photographer amongst other things...

You can check out the full album relating to RF 117 on my website: gallery - GT40 driven by Pretty & Bowe at Eastern Creek - flamestone.com

Plus there's other highlights here: gallery - Sports Car Carnival 2010, Eastern Creek - flamestone.com

It's a beautiful thing. :thumbsup:

IMG_8320.JPG

IMG_7750.JPG

Shane. It sure is a beautiful car, AND a masterpiece of engineering. If anyone gets the chance to see it up close, DO IT!!
Gotta say that it sounds awesome as it flys past me down the straights........ !
It's like a stealth bomber. No fuss. Just fast and flat. I am envious ... even more so, having sold MY RF (sad face).

Nice pictures of a good looking GT40, many work did go into that car.
the front is also very nice, guess its not usable for street such front with bumps and things like that in streets? but some sort of street proof front would be nice as aftermarket stuff me thinks...
I don't know how a GT40 drives at high speeds say between 260<>320km/h? is it still stable? and would add such front much difference? it looks like it would help.
Also I saw in the pictures the front can be lifted without removing the centerpart?

Iain,

If you don't mind me asking, how did John Bowe become your co-driver? (I know he has done some development work for RF.)

For those overseas who may not have heard of John Bowe, his entry summary from Wikipedia:

John Bowe (born 16 April 1954 in Devonport, Tasmania) is an Australian racing driver, presently racing in the historic series, Touring Car Masters.

Bowe is a multiple Australian Champion, having twice won the Australian Drivers' Championship during the Formula Mondial era, before winning the Australian Touring Car Championship in 1995. He has also won the prestigious Bathurst 1000 twice - in 1989 and 1994 - both times as co-driver with long-time friend and team-mate Dick Johnson.

Hi Kym,

JB has done a couple of days of testing and developing for us on the car.

He was able to instantly pick a couple of issues that would have taken me 2 years to be able to identify.

I would normally do the entire race myself but a Mr Ted Huglin entered with a brand new Lambo with Alan Simonsen as his co-driver, so to stand any chance of winning we were sort of oblidged to sign up JB

Iain

We has another win at the week end, Tim was kind enough to stay away so I had a fairly clear run (apart from the omnipresent Porsche team)

I set pole with my fastest lap time ever at EC 1.34.5
In the lead on the first race only to receive a black flag fod a rolled start !
Second race I managed to spin on turn three trying to claw back positions from the black flag incident
Third race (cut down ) I managed to pass the finaly climb back to the lead and held on for a win.

Will post a film later on you tube

Iain

No insult intended but it appears that you only pass at one place on the track. Are the p cars just better in the tight stuff or are you just not driving at a full agressive level.
If the latter is true you need to find faster cars to race against. The car looks like it has more and so does the driver so I am not questioning your skills.

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
My take on it is that he won the race which is the whole idea of the exercise. See the first post in his build log http://www.gt40s.com/forum/gt40-build-logs/22164-rf-117-a.html

He knew what he had to do to win that race and did it. There is simply no point in forcing an issue in a corner and risking a DNF when he didn't have to....

Also with the front of the GT40 being so low you really need to get your roof section alondside their front guard before the turn in point or they are unlikely to see you and turn in and take you out. Why risk it when you don't have to?

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
My take on it is that he won the race which is the whole idea of the exercise. See the first post in his build log http://www.gt40s.com/forum/gt40-build-logs/22164-rf-117-a.html

He knew what he had to do to win that race and did it. There is simply no point in forcing an issue in a corner and risking a DNF when he didn't have to....

Also with the front of the GT40 being so low you really need to get your roof section alondside their front guard before the turn in point or they are unlikely to see you and turn in and take you out. Why risk it when you don't have to?

+ 10000. :thumbsup:

Back