RHD / Right Hand Shifter

Frank,

Your RHD/Sill shifter set up is very nice. Engineering and the finished product, very nice!

Question? I visited your web site, and I really like the headers shown on the Blue 40. Are these something your shop makes also? Reall like the cold air box too.

wealdenengineer said:
You guys are loseing the thread a bit ? Frank
Could be, but isn't worth starting another thread.

Le Mans is CCW. My local raceway it CCW. You should probably set up for where you plan to run your car. The RHD GT-40's did well enough at Le Mans, but who knows how they had the weight of the ancillary equipment (battery, etc.) distributed in the car to counteract the driver's weight for this event. Then, as now, cars were set up for specific events, especially for one with the profile of Le Mans.

Last edited:

Mike Trusty

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Lemans is CLOCKWISE, always has been and always will be. But actually has nothing to do with the car being a right hand drive design. I think it had more to do with being developed for driving in England or something like that.

I hope to have pictures of SPF's right sill shifter today if my car actually arrives at Olthoff's.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
It would seem a majority of circuits are clockwise. And most people are right handed. Probably a sort of mental thing - easier to plan? So why are most aeroplanes left hand drive?

Mike Trusty

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Sorry Frank but I can't resist. ;)

David said: "So why are most aeroplanes left hand drive?"

Actually they are both hand drive.
You will notice that the instructor always sets in the right seat.
Ask any airline co-pilot and he will tell you that the right seat guy actually does all of the flying.

Again, sorry.

I guess I'm so excited about finally seeing my car after 10 months of waiting that I've gone stir crazy.

Most but not all road race tracks around the world are CW as is La Mans which I'm sure is why all the racing GT40's were RHD. Ford was looking at La Mans as the crown jewel to put Ferrari in its place.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks Mike T,
That clears up a few mysteries for me.
and thanks Richard,
I can only think of a couple of bends at Le Mans where weight and balance of a right hand drive car MIGHT just be advantageous.
Dave M

Mike Trusty

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
I just got the pictures of my car. Here is what the SPF version of right sill shifter looks like. As soon as I get pictures of mechanism I will post those as well.

Attachments

• DSC00996b.JPG
    DSC00996b.JPG
    88 KB · Views: 1,115
  • DSC00998b.JPG
    DSC00998b.JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 450
  • DSC00999b.JPG
    DSC00999b.JPG
    99.2 KB · Views: 453

Keith

I think that Frank's version looks neater with a shorter throw than the SPF. That's what it looks like anyway...

There! Back on topic!;)

Mike Trusty

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Keith1I think that Frank's version looks neater with a shorter throw than the SPF. That's what it looks like anyway...

I agree plus it looks to be further away from the sill which might be restrictive on the right knee. The restriction in seat width may be a problem for larger drivers as well.

The only advantage that it might have is that it is very close to the steering wheel for reduced travel between shifter and wheel. But it also may be a knuckle buster in a tank slapper situation.

Back