Road America Lola T70 reunion

I would like to point out that this T70 feature at Road America is for T70 enthusiasts
which certainly includes owners of replicas. Those that might have attended the last GT40
reunion at Road America can attest to the fact that they were well embraced as an integral
part of the ongoing heritage.

I will be attending my first event of this type, arriving at RoadAmerica on Friday night. Several questions please: (1) I am limited in walking, but not handicapped-- is the "preferred parking" the best access location for viewing the Lola T70s? (2) Are all of the Lolas in Group 7 original or are replicas included? (3) Approx how many of the RA Can-AM vehicles might participate in the Concours d'Elegance event? Handful ? / 20? / more? Thanks in advance

If you are arriving Friday, make sure to get there early enough to get a nice spot downtown, as close to Lola's restaurant on Lake street as possible, to see all of the race cars roll into town. They close off the streets at about 5 and the cars show up shortly thereafter, at least by 6. Many of the Can Am cars including the T70s will be going downtown (20+).
Getting around Road America is not easy as it is a big place. If I see a person in a golf cart and I want a ride, I just ask. Most of the T70s will be in the main paddock approximately adjacent to the start finish line. Can Am cars similarly. The T70s are for the most part genuine, as a serial number was given for most of the cars, but that does not mean a whole lot. The emphasis on this event is the racing and not a show or parade. No replicas were entered as far as I know, but they could have been allowed under the rules so long as they were built correctly and the driver had the proper credentials. The racing will be very competitive.
Hope this answers your questions and maybe we will see you there.

The tickets have arrived and we will be at camping space #15
We are looking forward to seeing lots of great racing and great race cars.

Regards,
Mark

Hope this answers your questions and maybe we will see you there.

Johan-- thanks for the information and guidance. Since my hair has thinned out over the years, I will most likely be wearing my USMC Boonie hat to provide a little protection against the warm sun. It will be excellent to meet you... I look forward to it.

--JB :thumbsup:

FWIW- I took about 50 photos of the Lolas in the Paddock area at the Road America event on Saturday. (I was unable to stop by in town for the evening displays).

I would like some guidance if the photos (and what quantity) should be posted on this website and, if it is okay, how many per post. From what I can tell, the photos are 3MB each. (I will try to post a couple as a minimum)

As for the event itself, I am glad I was able to attend and witness the beauty and performance of these vehicles. All of the competitors/teams seemed busy with their preparations, so I had little interaction with them. (Maybe next time)

Due to the limitations of this website that governs the upload of photos, I have posted 50 photos within FaceBook. I think 45 of the photos are of Lola T70 vehicles. The link below will allow non-FaceBook members to view the photos. (You may need to copy/paste the link into your browser). Please let me know if this works for you.

Lola T70 Reunion | Facebook

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Hi John !!

Nice pictures. I was there also. My mother in law passed away just before I left for Road America, so I only had a little time there on Friday. I purchased a new memory card before I got there and my camera would not format it so I got zero pictures. Last time I was there, I took about 500 detail pictures of the Lolas . Also the car in photo #25 is a Ford Gt, that I think is the Peterson race team car.
I was unable to hook up with Mark (Mainer), or Johan as planned, but family duties called.

Regards Brian

Thanks, Johan, for posting the link to the video.... it really helped me figure out the results of the Group 7 race.

After taking photos of the T70s in the staging area and after the race started, I walked over to the stands next to the VIP/Media Tower. I knew the two red T70 coupes were 1-2 for most of the laps, but I could not see numbers due to retaining wall and their speed. Then on the finish of the final lap, I watched a blue T70 spyder just nose out one of the red T70s.

Who won this exciting race? After checking for news the past several days, I gave up until I watched the video. Thanks again!

JohnB Here is a 6 minute YouTube video of the vehicles leaving Elkhart Lake: [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3-CFXPYaYU&feature=youtu.be" said:
Vintage Race Cars Leaving Elkhart Lake, WI - YouTube[/URL]

I'm not a YouTube wiz. I wondered if someone has posted a video shot from the other side of the street? I was a passenger in one of the cars. It was wild to see all the people lined along the streets.

Johan,
I had a great time at the T70 reunion.
Thank you for taking time time to chat during the busy weekend.
It was great to actually see these classic cars racing!!

Brian,
Sorry to hear of your mother in laws passing
Regards,
Mark

Yes, you have driven there and know how hard that is to do ! Those T70s get going so damn fast into 1, 5, and Canada corner. Fast old car with iffy brakes !

Back