painting #2

Attachments

• 69759-Bodywork-3rdSeptember2005-01.jpg
    69759-Bodywork-3rdSeptember2005-01.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 784

Bill Hara

Old Hand
GT40s Supporter
Here is one of the spider, freshly painted again. Note that the last 4 photos (including this one) are all taken moments after spraying and do not look like this when dry.

Attachments

• 69760-Bodywork-3rdSeptember2005-02.jpg
    69760-Bodywork-3rdSeptember2005-02.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 809

Bill Hara

Old Hand
GT40s Supporter
Here is a shot of my sill panel when it was primed

Attachments

• 69761-Paintshop3rdSept05-02.JPG
    69761-Paintshop3rdSept05-02.JPG
    269.5 KB · Views: 750

Bill Hara

Old Hand
GT40s Supporter
This is a shot of the guide coat being rubbed off the primed coat. This ensures that the surface is flat/even and that there are no ripples. Depending on the colour(especially dark ones), this stage is very important.

Attachments

• 69762-AtthePainters21-09-2005ph-01.JPG
    69762-AtthePainters21-09-2005ph-01.JPG
    269 KB · Views: 787
Hello Allan and Bill,

Thank you for the info. The Standoy HS Filler is exact the same I plan to use for my GT40 - along with their EP Primer.

Regards Reinhard

Great choice of products Reinhard,you cannot do better than EP &System Filler,should look great.
Best of luck
Al /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Hello Al,

[ QUOTE ]
Best of luck

[/ QUOTE ]

Hope so.
The basic idea is to do all the major body work and then to seal the whole body with the Epoxy Primer. I have found that sometimes the putty (bondo....) is affected by polyester primers and fillers - but I still have to discuss that with Standox.

Reinhard

Bill Hara

Old Hand
GT40s Supporter
Here is another photo of the guide coat over polyester, being rubbed off.

Attachments

• 69910-DSCF0322.JPG
    69910-DSCF0322.JPG
    285.3 KB · Views: 769

Bill Hara

Old Hand
GT40s Supporter
And here it is in primer. The primer still needs a guide coat and rub down prior to painting final colour.

Attachments

• 69911-RearClipinPrimer-02.jpg
    69911-RearClipinPrimer-02.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 782

Bill Hara

Old Hand
GT40s Supporter
Well, we're finally back on track after 2 months of frustration.....
Unfortunately my painters were forced to move premises with 1 week to go prior to painting my car as their shop was "sold" from under their feet and the business had to find a new home!
The new home now has a fully upgraded spray booth and my car is now undergoing the final application stage. First cab off the rank was the striping of my sill panel, which still needs to be buffed once it has fully cured.

Attachments

• 73281-DSCF0002.JPG
    73281-DSCF0002.JPG
    291.3 KB · Views: 789

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Bill, she is looking great - that sill panel is superb, so by definition, all the others will too !

I love your colour choice - you'll get a new kick out of it every time you see the car in different lighting conditions.

So close now !

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

Bill Hara

Old Hand
GT40s Supporter
Thanks Peter.
I suppose you know more about GT related frustrations than I do, so I shouldn't complain, although my car has had a lengthy "gestation" period. It is finally starting to come together but I still have a long way to go!
As far as colours go, the photos don't really do it justice, but then again I suppose I'm biased....
Cheers
Bill.

Bill,
I don't care what anyone says, it takes a while to build one of these cars, and a lot of frustration is part of the build process. No matter which manufacturer you use. That is unless you have a lot of time on your hands AND a lot of money put aside for it. Life's little challenges just seem to pop up and deplete one or the other. I have been on mine for almost 4 years now and I didn't paint mine. I probably would have given up long ago if I had. So hang in there and just plug away. Some times you just have to step back and look at what you have done to inspire you to continue. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smoke.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lurk.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banana.gif

Bill

Bill Hara

Old Hand
GT40s Supporter
Thanks Bill for your kind words. This June will be 4 years for me too and I have a feeling I won't be ready by then.
Chris Liokos came by last weekend with his car, to give me some inspiration. He had mentioned that he was coming around and wanted me to drive his car down to the spray shop. I tell you I didn't sleep too well that night. WHAT AN EXPERIENCE, great car, top bloke and now I'm even more frustrated..... It did encourage me to get into the garage and work on my dash and gear shift mechanism.
Back at the panel shop, the guys have basically had no work for over 2 months while they got the new shop ready so you can imagine the flood of cars waiting on their doorstep. Every one of them is urgent!
Well now my car has just had the majority of it's panels coloured today, the rest will get colour tomorrow, followed by the striping and clearcoat on Saturday (fingers crossed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/flehan.gif)
The guys text me this picture showing the spider in the booth, I'll add some more photos later. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Cheers

Attachments

• 74751-Gt40.jpg
    74751-Gt40.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 742

Bill Hara

Old Hand
GT40s Supporter
Here is a series of shots showing the rear and front clips in the booth.

Attachments

• 74762-paintjob-Feb2006-17.JPG
    74762-paintjob-Feb2006-17.JPG
    279 KB · Views: 736

Bill Hara

Old Hand
GT40s Supporter
Picture of the masked bandit /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1poke.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Attachments

• 74763-paintjob-Feb2006-24.JPG
    74763-paintjob-Feb2006-24.JPG
    270.6 KB · Views: 730

Bill Hara

Old Hand
GT40s Supporter
Rear clip - this is 5 minutes after the last colour coat. There is still some striping and clear to go on.

Attachments

• 74765-paintjob-Feb2006-33.JPG
    74765-paintjob-Feb2006-33.JPG
    287.4 KB · Views: 715
Back