Bill Hara

Old Hand
GT40s Supporter
flat as a tack! Great job Al.

Attachments

• 74766-paintjob-Feb2006-37.JPG
    74766-paintjob-Feb2006-37.JPG
    265.2 KB · Views: 813
Looks sensational Bill. You must be jumping out of your skin /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banana.gif in anticipation. What's left to do after Al has finished???

Bill Hara

Old Hand
GT40s Supporter
Hey Tim
About 12 months ago I was jumping out of my skin, when we caught up at the Australian F1 GP. I feel guilty seeing my car que ahead of yours at Al's, but you can never foresee how these things will end up. You will definitely cross the line before me, and you'll do it with a super-car that has a super paint job (even though you are jumping out of your skin now).
My car will still need to have all the bits and pieces I have been collecting over the last 7 months fitted into it. Other than my exhaust and motec, I either have at home or have on order the remainder of my parts. As many have mentioned, the body prep is the biggest hurdle technically, but us Aussies have the additional emissions hurdle to go through - which has been thoroughly discussed by yourself and Peter D.
Hopefully by June this year I will be in a position to jump through that particular hoop.
This forum is SO good because it has helped me maintain enthusiasm, established friendships, garnered help (all of it valuable) and helped me share my own build with others.

The next lot of photos I put up will show the completed paint job, then I move back to my garage to start installing the shifter mechanism, fuel system, cooling and a/c system, dash, seatbelts, seats, upholstery, engine, gearbox......... and the rest
Hope June is not too optimistic......

---------------------
RF GT40

Bill Hara

Old Hand
GT40s Supporter
Been away on a conference for a couple of days so I missed taking some shots of the car getting it's final colours put on. Al is applying the clear coat this morning, but he did send me some photos on my mobile while I was away.

Attachments

• 75106-Gt40spider.jpg
    75106-Gt40spider.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 784

Bill Hara

Old Hand
GT40s Supporter
Al also mentioned that they took about 30 shots on a digital camera that they will get to me soon. Last shot.

Attachments

• 75108-Image014.jpg
    75108-Image014.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 805

Bill Hara

Old Hand
GT40s Supporter
Thanks Chris

Al put the clear on today and is unbelievable..... Took the chassis/spider home tonight, work starts on it tomorrow!

A couple of shots to follow... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Attachments

• 75158-ClearonDoors-05.JPG
    75158-ClearonDoors-05.JPG
    276.1 KB · Views: 788

Bill Hara

Old Hand
GT40s Supporter
Next phase of painting is the front and rear clips getting their stripes. First the front clip pre paint. The stripes were taped when the panels were all on the car, to ensure that all the lines were straight. Once taped, they were removed for spraying.

Bill.

Attachments

• 75490-Frontclippre-stripe.JPG
    75490-Frontclippre-stripe.JPG
    240 KB · Views: 737

Bill Hara

Old Hand
GT40s Supporter
The guys put in over 6 hours taping the car up. Heres a shot of the rear clip with tape, before painting.

Attachments

• 75491-Rearclippre-stripe.JPG
    75491-Rearclippre-stripe.JPG
    223.1 KB · Views: 720

Bill Hara

Old Hand
GT40s Supporter
Going for a wider stripe than usual.

Attachments

• 75492-StripingF&Rclips-25Feb2006-01.JPG
    75492-StripingF&Rclips-25Feb2006-01.JPG
    269.7 KB · Views: 739

Bill Hara

Old Hand
GT40s Supporter
View of front with stripe

Attachments

• 75493-StripingF&Rclips-25Feb2006-03.JPG
    75493-StripingF&Rclips-25Feb2006-03.JPG
    269 KB · Views: 770

Bill Hara

Old Hand
GT40s Supporter
Here's a shot of me assisting Mike with the pin-strip setout. Can't help myself.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banana.gif

Attachments

• 75494-StripingF&Rclips-25Feb2006-09.JPG
    75494-StripingF&Rclips-25Feb2006-09.JPG
    266.8 KB · Views: 755

Bill Hara

Old Hand
GT40s Supporter
And another with the pin stripe applied. Didn't get a chance to see the clips with the tape removed. I'll take a few shots tomorrow. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Attachments

• 75495-StripingF&Rclips-25Feb2006-13.JPG
    75495-StripingF&Rclips-25Feb2006-13.JPG
    271.6 KB · Views: 708

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Bill, the car is looking spectacular ! Its absolutely amazing how it is transformed when the clear coat goes on - I nearly had a heart attack when we finished the base coat on mine. I wondered what sort of huge mistake had been made - all that effort & I had a dead, dull dark flat blue car with no life in the paint at all !

My painter said "Trust me, shut up & start mixing the clear coat" ! When that went on, I was so relieved - it changed the car from "yet another bloody guide coat" to the final colour & lustre that I had hoped for !

When you get it all together in that gorgeous paint job, you will be thrilled (& super-motivated to add all the bits & pieces).

Can't wait to see a full pic with those beautiful stripes !

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

Bill Hara

Old Hand
GT40s Supporter
Peter

That is so true. When the black/green went on, I got a bit of a knot in the stomach thinking that it was going to come out dull and lifeless. I know that clear transforms it, but you can't help that feeling..... From the shots above, you can see what a difference the clear has made to the doors and spider. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
No clear on the shot below.

Attachments

• 75607-DSC00091.JPG
    75607-DSC00091.JPG
    186.1 KB · Views: 774

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
WOOOOHOOOO Bill, looking fantastic I bet you have the Champers/Bundy on the ice. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banana.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banana.gif

Bill Hara

Old Hand
GT40s Supporter
Is that a Queensland mix Pete, Champers and Bundy on ice? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Back