Roaring Forties # 61

Bill Hara

Old Hand
GT40s Supporter
Have also been getting my rims ready for rubber.
Here is a shot of Al's handiwork prior to painting the centers...

Attachments

• 80962-Paintingrim-29-04-06-e.JPG
    80962-Paintingrim-29-04-06-e.JPG
    266.4 KB · Views: 1,417

Bill Hara

Old Hand
GT40s Supporter
I tried one on the car for good measure, how do they stack up?

Attachments

• 80964-Paintedrimoncar-30-04-06.JPG
    80964-Paintedrimoncar-30-04-06.JPG
    180.3 KB · Views: 1,356
Hi Bill

after seeing your rear clip and meeting you in oerson at the RF builders bbq a few months back I was looking forward to hearing how you were progressing. Your car was coming along so well. Surely since Jan you have made some progress? How about an update. I would love to see some picutres of your car with all the body put on, it is a fantastic color.

Cheers

Jack

Bill Hara

Old Hand
GT40s Supporter
Finally back into it...

Hi Jack

Yeah it was a pleasure to meet you too. I think we'll be having another bbq in the not too distant future.

As far as the GT40 is concerned, all I can say is that fibreglass is a terrible thing. The body was painted some months ago but the erar clip developed some pimples, 3 to be exact. Allan had the unfortunate tast of taking to them with a razor blade and we found that there were pin holes that had expanded the air inside during the curing process. These were progressively repaired and last night I finally put the rear clip on. MAN what a difference.

I have made significant progress with the engine, cooling, dash, fuel system etc and I am expecting that the build will continue to pick up pace.

Wish I could take a few weeks off work, that would be a bonus......

Here are some shots.

Attachments

• Car in Garage 23 Aug-2006 (Small).jpg
    Car in Garage 23 Aug-2006 (Small).jpg
    59 KB · Views: 1,215
  • 22082006108 (Small).jpg
    22082006108 (Small).jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 1,272
  • Car in Garage - 05 - Aug 23-2006 (Small).jpg
    Car in Garage - 05 - Aug 23-2006 (Small).jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 1,222
Last edited:
Bill All I can say is WOW! THe earlier photos really didn't do the colors justice. Seeing it all together, even without the extras, it looks great. I hope the RForties people have another BBQ soon, it would be great to get along and hear in detail some of your victories and also the trials and tribulations (I think that is the correct word) of the build.

Cheers

Jack

Awesome Bill!!! You picked a winner there. Not long now.......
Maybe Allan can finish my car now..............

Bill Hara

Old Hand
GT40s Supporter
Thanks guys for the comments. I've been at this for over 4 years and it has been a painfully slow process as I've watched many people complete their cars and enjoy them on the road and track.

I envy you Bill, you have a superb build underway and your capable assistant is someone I could really use. In fact I'll probably take JackW up on his offer to help because an extra pair of hands makes all the difference.

I've attached another photo from the other night, showing the infamous RF gap above the rear wheel. This is because I have wound up the suspension up and there is no engine/gearbox to compress the rear springs..... That part of the build will be coming soon.

Attachments

• 22082006105 (Small).jpg
    22082006105 (Small).jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 1,194
Hi Bill,

If you give me a weeks notice so I can arrange with my baby sitter, uh, wife and mother of my children, I would love to come over and help out one saturday afternoon. Just email and say "I am doing some work this weekend coming" and I will sort out with my wife to come over between say 1-4.30/5.

The gold rims, really rock withe color scheme.

JW

I mean, i will sort with my wife to look after the boy, and I will come over and help with the car. Just to clarify, i know what a dodgy buch these GT40 folk are.

JW

I mean, i will sort with my wife to look after the boy, and I will come over and help with the car. Just to clarify, as i know what a dodgy bunch these GT40 folk are.

JW

I mean, i will sort with my wife to look after the boy, and I will come over and help with the car. Just to clarify, as i know what a dodgy bunch these GT40 folk are.

JW

Bill Hara

Old Hand
GT40s Supporter
Easy on the reply button mate, I heard you the first time :)

Thanks for offering, and I will call you! First I have to clean out the garage as I have accumulated a heap of parts and clogged my storage shed with other peoples things..... That is now empty again so it is my first task, I won't need you for that!

Cheers

Bill.

sorry about that. I am not sure what happened. Looking forward to seeing first hand the challenges you face.

Cheers

Jack

I can empathise with you on the slowness of a build. Especially when there are other things that need tending to. Mine has gone on for three years and when I look at the car each time I go to the basement, I say to myself. It looks like I haven't done much. But you and I know that there have been many hours put in and a lot of other things that needed doing around the house. My wife has given me the ultimatum of getting the car built. So all I have to do, is do it. Sounds simple huh!! Just work one job thorough. Then move on to the next one. That one will invariably create a problem with the first job. And so it goes.

Bill

Bill Hara

Old Hand
GT40s Supporter
I've been working on final assembly now for a while, which means I've been closeted inside the garage. Yesterday I finally got to take the car outside for a few snap shots.
I'm anticipating having the engine in it by the end of November, hopefully on the road by the end of the year.....rockonsmile

Attachments

• 04112006187a.jpg
    04112006187a.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 1,007
Back