Scotland Tornado

Brett, they are indeed Crossfire mirrors.

Fitted mesh to the nose and to the front nostrils ready for the IVA. Do I need to cover the small NACA ducts in mesh too?

Attachments

• DSCF0617[1].jpg
    DSCF0617[1].jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 638
  • DSCF0618[1].jpg
    DSCF0618[1].jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 637
Ian,
Did you use a Crossfire switch? If so, I have one going spare NOS.

I've decided to go with a Ford switch hybrid... mainly because it's easier to install the switch :)

Brett, I used a Rover switch, photo attached along with a wiring diagram I made up for the switch. I didnt bother running the mirror heater wiring. I fitted a clock on the other side to balance the dash.

Attachments

• DSCF0619[1].jpg
    DSCF0619[1].jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 825
  • DSCF0620[1].jpg
    DSCF0620[1].jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 707
  • DSCF0304.jpg
    DSCF0304.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 637
Andy is that because of their location? I would assume they shoudl pass from other aspects as they come off homolgated cars and are E marked. Appreciate your thoughts, as I plan to put on mine. Thanks

Brett

Hi Ian, just an observation relating to your nostril, not accounting for the english weather you will find the cabin will get excessively hot after a short drive. Your Nostril is similar to the RF design it cuts the radiator in half so heat from the bottom of the radiator washes up under the front clip and radiates into the cabin. I modified mine so the nostril now sits at the base of the radiator and expels all the heat straight out. Really made a difference with the AC it actually works.
Mick

I stand corrected about the items I said would not pass.
But those perspex s will fail if not e marked down at Southampton.
Also the lndicator lamps angle of vision ?
The 9 hole grill on mine was removed and a solid plate put in.
IVA is not the same at all test stations, or maybe were a bit more fussy here in the south !
You northerner's will drive around in anything

Looking good though Ian

Ian,
I too added the deep nostrils to my car. I have to say that virtually no heat gets to the main cabin. I also added insulation to the paneling at the foot wells. You can make the alterations with a stright shot to the top of the nostrils or a curved one. I opted for the curve. Have not noticed any build up of heat in the cooling system at all. I am sure some air isn't getting through due to the shape, however I think the curve looks much better, and temps stay in the 160-180range at 75mph on the highways with temps in the high 60s low 70s.
Currently I only use the fans in stop and go traffic. One of my additions this winter(time prevailing) will be a controller that will operate the fans and the flow of the electric water pump. Right now it is a manual system. Have to keep an eye out on the temps for now. These pics were in the early stages.
P1010197.jpg

P1010196-1.jpg

Since mine has the water inlet at the top and the exit is a curve piece at the bottom I have to make allowances for that. to keep the heat out of the bonnet, I added a dam of 1/8" rubber stock to the frame member and I am very comfortable in warm weather with just the window(s) removed.

Bill

P1010198.jpg

P1010199.jpg

Finally got my engine today, was Dyno tested at around 430 bhp at 6000....woo hoo....Plan to get this fitted and then get the car off to Andy at Tornado for the IVA.

Attachments

• DSCF0621[1].jpg
    DSCF0621[1].jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 719
  • DSCF0623[1].jpg
    DSCF0623[1].jpg
    177 KB · Views: 681
  • DSCF0638[1].jpg
    DSCF0638[1].jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 718
  • DSCF0639[1].jpg
    DSCF0639[1].jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 789
These were the final numbers from the Dyno test; it made 430 BHP @ 6000rpm with 412 FT LBS torque @ about 4000 rpm and virtually the same torque numbers from 3500 all the way to 5500....cant wait to get on the road now

Brett,
Andy advised that the inside edge to inside edge across the mirrors must be 72". I measured mine and they're a little shorter than this. However, when I locate something behind the car per the distance and location prescribed in the IVA manual and then sit in the car, the rear vision is pretty much in line with what the manual asks for. I'll know soon enough as hopefully very soon it will be off to Andy for its IVA.
Ian

Ian,
Is that because with the mirrors he uses you need the 72" to get the fields of vision? I personally can't find a reference to the that within the manual (may have missed it), but assume the requirement is to be able to see the markers when sat in the drivers seat. As long as you pass that and the mirror passes from the dimensions and retractable force POV, then surely it is OK? Keep me updated and good luck at IVA!

Brett

What is the best sealant for the oil pressure sender to the engine block that will still allow the sender to be earthed through the thread?
Thanks

A milestone weekend.....on Saturday, I managed to drop the engine in with a mate of mine. A bit tricky it has to be said, but got there in the end. Had to remove the oil filter, the front pulley, the a/c compressor and the distributor cap to squeeze the engine in, but finally got there. Spent today plumbing in the engine. Not finished yet, but almost. My plan is to send the car down to Tornado in April for its IVA......

Attachments

• DSCF0653[1].jpg
    DSCF0653[1].jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 753
  • DSCF0656[1].jpg
    DSCF0656[1].jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 770
  • DSCF0652[1].jpg
    DSCF0652[1].jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 746
  • DSCF0658[1].jpg
    DSCF0658[1].jpg