SL-C #50 Allan's Build

Adam, you should make a visit to RCR. It's like a kid in a candy store.
We would welcome another SC-C builder here! Have fun...

Nice car Allan!
I am interested in this LS376/Ricardo package...can you get 0-60 in 3.2s?
What is the top speed? How difficult is to control that 480hp? A 600hp w/ Ricardo will be too much for a street car?
The sits looks like the one in FFR GTM, are these the same?

All the best,
Stefan

Welcome Adam and Stefan!

I am aware of only one FFR GTM with a Ricardo, but Fran can better answer since he helped to fabricate the setup. There are quite a few SLCs with the Ricardo and several with inverted Porsche transaxles. HP varies greatly depending on use and preferences. I have driven 600HP on the street before as have many on this site I'm sure. But 480HP is more than enough. Control of HP/Torque is the key.

Allen, I originally ordered a GT40 from Fran and I was a happy camper waiting patiently as my dream car was being fabricated, as I began tooling around on the forum, low and behold I happen upon pictures of your car and it was love at first sight. I couldn't sleep thinking I may have made a big mistake, kinda reminds me of night before my wedding lol, But thanks to Fran I am now hooked up. Another SL-C club member is born. Thank you for showing me the way, fantasic work on your car I can not wait for mine to show. Fran's life work has really set the bar high as a master piece of everything that works, as well as stunningly beautiful race car. Great job on your car, very well done.

Allen, I originally ordered a GT40 from Fran and I was a happy camper waiting patiently as my dream car was being fabricated, as I began tooling around on the forum, low and behold I happen upon pictures of your car and it was love at first sight. I couldn't sleep thinking I may have made a big mistake, kinda reminds me of night before my wedding lol, But thanks to Fran I am now hooked up. Another SL-C club member is born. Thank you for showing me the way, fantasic work on your car I can not wait for mine to show. Fran's life work has really set the bar high as a master piece of everything that works, as well as stunningly beautiful race car. Great job on your car, very well done.

Now I have to move to Saskatchewan so I can be unique again :p

Alex is certainly going to be unique with his new engine and intake.....

Did he decide to go even older school than a carb?????

Stanley_steam_car_engine.jpg

Allen nice looking car. I was thinking about painting my future slc almost the same color. I was just going to paint it electric blue pearl coat. I fell in love with that color when I bought my neon srt-4 in that color. The formula is almost the same also. I think the viper blue is a little brighter.

I just have a few questions for you. How did you run the wires for the speakers in the doors to the stereo?

The other questions is about your home made paint booth. Is it part of your shop or a shed next to it? Why not just wet the floor in the booth insted of paper? You think you could post some pictures of the booth? How munch dust and other stuff dose that wood hold that you don't want on the paint?

Sorry about the questions. I use to to auto body for a living. I quite when I saw no future in it for me. Well not in my neck of the woods any way.

I just have a few questions for you. How did you run the wires for the speakers in the doors to the stereo?

The other questions is about your home made paint booth. Is it part of your shop or a shed next to it? Why not just wet the floor in the booth insted of paper? You think you could post some pictures of the booth? How munch dust and other stuff dose that wood hold that you don't want on the paint?

Sorry about the questions. I use to to auto body for a living. I quite when I saw no future in it for me. Well not in my neck of the woods any way.

The bay where I paint is attached to the 2 car garage and has a single door between itself and the 2 car part. I use a door with filters where the air comes into the bay and the overspray exits through 2 3000cfm fans in the windows. Befor painting I vacuum the walls, ceiling and floor then roll out the paper.
I've wet the floor and painted in the past but find that the paper method works best for my set up, plus it makes for easy clean up especially after the sticky clear coat goes on.
The dust really stays under control and by the time the wet sanding and buffing is done I find it hard to see any imperfections. Here's a picture that you can see the filter door:
IMGP1283.jpg

This one you can see the fans, make sure you use ones that don't spark.
IMGP1278.jpg

This one just shows the general lay out of the 12x20' bay.
IMGP1294.jpg

The speaker wires run along the door hinge with a little slack inside of the body to allow some movement.

This 3M system is great and would protect your "booth".

It would result in far less dirt in the base coat as well as the clear.

I have a small (8x10) Binks booth and the difference is amazing.

3M

Thanks Allan for explaining everything. Scott I never heard of the stuff before. When I get a shop and can afford to build the slc. I will take a look at the stuff. When I did auto body we usually used some paint you would roll on. Then it could peel off. We also used some stuff that was really sticky and clear. After it got dirty all you would have to do is wash it off.

I really think things like the 3m stuff, and stuff we used are worth it. I worked at some place were we had two full size paint booths. Me and a co worker spent a good week or two cleaning the booths. 8 hours a day with a da sander and razor blades. It was not fun.

Hi Allan,

There's really nothing that I can say that hasn't already been said over and over through these thread pages. You truly are a craftsman. I think you've pretty much proven that you can build anything you want.

Your GT40 was Amazing, the GTM was unbelievable, and your SL-C is just impeccable.

I love the color choices, and what you've done with dash and interior pieces is awesome. When I saw the pictures, I would never in a million years thought that I was looking at a painted surface. You have some mad skills my friend.

Hope to see you and Roberto before too long.

Take care.

Mike (The Stig)

Back