SL-C powerplant possibility?

Ya, carb, and simplicity (unless you are referring to not having as much wiring) don't really go hand in hand anymore in this day and age. Someone experienced with the software with any of the numerous options out there, will have a fuel injected car dialed perfectly long before you will get a carb dialed at the same level, if even possible. Not to mention the whole big cam/loss of intake signal thing with carbs that isn't a problem with fuel injection and datalogging ability. Yes, I have tuned carbs, so I have seen both sides of the fence. Fuel injection for me hands down.

Going for Coyote Aluminator with a Canton shallow pan and an accusump.
attachment.php

Attachments

• 2015-09-10.jpg
    2015-09-10.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 1,263

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
Looking forward to the OHC sound. I'm not a fan of the LS OHV 'noise', although they are effective.

What LS valve noise? All I can hear is the exhaust... and it's LOUD!

Now, in my Pontiac G8, I can hear the valve noise. I really need an aftermarket exhaust system for that car.

Looking forward to the OHC sound. I'm not a fan of the LS OHV 'noise', although they are effective.

Yes, I hear the valve tapping noise from my LS3 as well. At first, I thought there was something wrong with the motor.

Otherwise, my car is actually pretty quiet inside.

Anyone ever stick a Subaru engine in there? I had an imported JDM Spec-C 2.0L motor that made 450hp at the wheels on pump gas with an AVO 450 turbo which by all accounts is not a big turbo and more torque than an LS3. That was AWD which is 33% drivetrain loss. Small, lightweight, 9000 rpm, great Turbo sucking with Tial waste gate dumping, it was visceral. Just a thought.

Supposedly, an early SLC had a Subaru engine and the car was a total stripper track car. Weighed in like 2200 lbs or something. That's all from memory, or imagination....

If the Sti 6 speed gear box with Hitatchi limited slip with the RWD drive blocked off fit that would be great that is one TOUGH gear box. Seems like a decent option for v8's too.

Something I found real quick
P4300293.JPG

Last edited:
Re: SL-C powerplant possibility

I am in the process of building a SLC. I am also trying to choose my power plant. I am trying to decide between the LS 376/480 and the LS 376/525. It seems as though the only difference is the ASA cam with hydraulic lifters.

Are there any other differences and is there any reason not to go with the higher horsepower motor? Has anyone had a good or a bad experience with either engine.

This SLC will be primarily a road car with infrequent track visits. I will be attaching it to a Porsche 96.01 gear box.

Re: SL-C powerplant possibility

I am in the process of building a SLC. I am also trying to choose my power plant. I am trying to decide between the LS 376/480 and the LS 376/525. It seems as though the only difference is the ASA cam with hydraulic lifters.

Are there any other differences and is there any reason not to go with the higher horsepower motor? Has anyone had a good or a bad experience with either engine.

This SLC will be primarily a road car with infrequent track visits. I will be attaching it to a Porsche 96.01 gear box.

I have the LS376/525 in my SLC. I would go with that one honestly. LS motors are so damn strong reliability isn't an issue any more.

Does either the 525 or the 480 have an issue with idle or any function? I believe I am going to go with the 525.

Can I assume the adaptor plate and all of the other parts needed to mate the 525 to the 96.01 are the same? I already have the 96.01, clutch, flywheel and everything needed to mate the two.

Honestly, there are better cam choices (lobe profiles, ramp etc) then either the hot cam or ASA but people have been running those engines for years with good performance. If your goal was to buy a crate motor and not touch it (or ecu) I would try to compare the two cam characteristic with some dyno graph's. If I recall the hot cam ran neck and neck with the stock LS3 cam and only after like 6k did it get the bump in hp or tq but the ASA has at least some gaines through out the curve. So while the hot cam sounds better than stock its definitely not worth the money in my opinion. Given only your three choices I'd say if budget is not an issue and you don't mind risking that transaxel go with the 525. The safer/cheaper bet is stock LS3 (but not as fun).

Found a graph - note ASA Cat difference though. Regarding drivability, even though ASA is low lift cam, it has a fair amount of overlap (@ 11). It is ground with very long seat timing and has slow ramps. This affects drivability, but I don't think it's bad. Plenty on site have this cam and can chime in.

430%20vs%20480%20vs%20525.jpg

Last edited:
I had a flywheel and clutch custom made by Kennedy engineering for the 376 porsche 96.01 mate. Rcr is going to supply me the adaptor plate which will be made when you machinist returns.

Does the 376/525 and the 376/480 have the same bell housing and other specs needed to attach to the 96.01?

JR
We do not make that adapter plate currently.... It's the only one in the porsche family we don't make
The issue is that each clutch supplier has their own package and they differ greatly so we can't make a one size fits all

GBOX and KEP have completely different clutch flywheels

Michael Fling

Supporter
In retrospect... I wish I had gone with the LS376/525 in my SLC. I stayed away from it because it was suggested that it might be too "lopey" for street use. After watching Eric's video, I don't believe that is the case.

Back