SL-C powerplant possibility?

Just my .02c

My SLC has a LS3 crate motor (480hp). I think it's what makes the car so fantastic. Easily maintained and parts are available everywhere.

I toyed with the idea of an exotic engine -but in the end the sound and fury of the small block chevy has been more than enough - with bulletproof reliability.

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
180s_Under_coll_sm.jpg

As the adage goes, “there is more than one way to skin a cat.” Several years ago, Burns Stainless was working with a NASCAR Cup engine builder to develop a 180 degree header (pictures above) that would work with a stock car. The design shown in these pictures was developed that crossed the tubes under the engine. A special dry-sump oil pan was designed for the necessary clearance. Initial testing was promising, but as it goes in racing, rule changes made the header illegal for NASCAR."

I once shoehorned a 351C into a '72 Mercury Comet GT...much like the Ford Maverick. A couple of the tubes on the custom headers required for that swap crossed over under the pan, behind the sump...much like those we see in the picture above. It was only the two rear-most tubes, though (one from each side)...not enough to create a set of 180* headers.

Cheers!

Doug

Last edited:
Just picked up this spare engine for another project but I think it would really cut down on my tire budget in my SLC or 2015

Attachments

• photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    140.9 KB · Views: 421
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    124.2 KB · Views: 342
I see something with "experimental" on the side, I don't see a type certificated RCR equipment in the future.
However I've always conceived from day 1 an APU or a turbine engine with a floating turbine hooked up to a Porsche automatic gearbox orientated as a traditional Porsche setup with the turbine venting out the back of the car would be suited for an SLC.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Has anyone thought of doing a build with the Ford Ecoboost V6? I was surprised how cheap they were compared to the coyote motors but obviously much more complex with the turbos and the weight is probably roughly the same. I am curious to see what the crate version of the flat plane crank motor will cost when it is available. I am sure it will not be cheap.

Back