SL-C powerplant possibility?

I agree with this one. The LS7/9 exhaust manifolds flow better than almost any aftermarket header. They will fit on an LS 1 too.

Here's a cut-out/resemblance of what they look like internally -

Attachments

• Z06extmanifold.jpg
    Z06extmanifold.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 394
This might be a dumb question, because more is always better, but is there any point in spending the extra cash on the LS376/525 vs. getting the 480 or even the 430 hp regular LS3? I realize in a $70k+ build I’m only saving a few thousand dollars. Also, I do not plan to track my car in any serious way, just for giggles now and again.

Last edited:
The LS3 with 430 hp is still a VERY very quick car...and it has the nicest idle quality of any of the LS3 based engines....no big lumpy camshaft ...

My new personal Le Mans being built has a bone stock LS3 ...

Wow, thank you for the quick reply. I should have checked before the last post, but it appears that there is only a $200 difference between the bone stock LS3 and the LS376/480. $6400 vs. $6600 from Pace Performance. Just out of curiosity Fran, why did you choose the bone stock LS3 for your car?

For a street car its plenty fast...

keep in mind that the previous C5 generation flagship Z06 Corvette had 405 hp LS6 and was hailed as a very fast worldbeater and it was...and it was more than a 1000lbs heavier than an SLC...

So a bone stock, nice idling LS3 with 430hp in a 2400lb car is enough power to get in and out of trouble with....
Personally ,its all about balance...I would rather be able to actually use some throttle pedal and not be tip toeing with 600hp or more...I drive a first gen. CTS-V as my daily driver and its a lot of fun with 400hp but it weighs close to 4000lb....so again 430hp will be fun in my Le Mans.
You will be surprised how fast it will be on track too....

My previous personal SLC was an LS7 powered car and it made 534hp...and was really fun but more than needed...

For a street car its plenty fast...

I agree. Once you get above ~400hp in a street car its pretty much unusable in a safe manner anyway. I get having a ton of power in a race car, but even then having balance in the chassis is more important than outright power.

Fred Beans Parts
1 LS376/480 with computer and harness = $7,650.00

Racelogic TC - w/wheel sensors & digital Controller = $1,675

Reliable HP with the ability to put it down and stick

430HP in an SL-C will at least accelerate as quickly most of the $$$ supercars that are readily available here. There will be no contest in cornering and braking.
The SL-C has a great advantage there, and that 430HP can all be brought to bear without excessive wheelspin and "catching the tail".

The race SLC was one of the fastest cars in the 13 hour race last year and it had a lightly massaged 430hp LS3. If it wasn't for the gas tank issue, they would've won that race.

Due to the extremely low weight, I know that the ls3 or ls376 would accelerate extremely well, track well, and as everyone is saying remain balanced.

Just curious though... any idea what type of power is needed to get to 200 mph? The z06 with the ls7 can get to 198 mph and it weighs significantly more than an SLC. The ZR1, has another 130+ hp, and goes 7 mph faster (205mph). However, I know that aerodynamics, gearing, etc. play a major role in deciding top speed (which I know little about). Rapier's website lists a top speed of 222mph with what I am lead to believe is using the LS7 (I may have misunderstood though). Fran, any idea on what kind of power is actually needed to get to 200? :idea:

Last edited:
An educated guess would be 550-600 rwhp range but as mentioned, the transaxel will be the final judge of that. But that HP should be plenty to overcome the resistance.

I agree 550 - 600 whp should be plenty.

Actually if anyone has topped out their car and knows the HP, it woudl be pretty easy to find out how much HP is needed for a given top speed. Just not sure anyone has gone that fast.......yet.

Yes, I know there was one that did 194 on the banks of Daytona, though I don't remember what engine he had.

Yes, I know there was one that did 194 on the banks of Daytona, though I don't remember what engine he had.
I'm nearly certain that was the black track rental SLC with a 538 hp LS7. But i vaguely remember reading that it wasn't even at full throttle. If that was the case, I'm not sure how much more it could have been pushed.

The z06 with the ls7 can get to 198 mph and it weighs significantly more than an SLC.
Weight / mass doesn't change top speed (just how long it takes to get close) - it's all down to drag. Fran may have the drag coefficient and frontal area, or some test data. You can help by sealing / smoothing as many areas as possible and not fitting a wing.

For bragging rights, I'd say that you could reasonably claim 200+mph with around 500hp and the right gearing.

At 200 mph you're going to want that wing and maybe even the canards in the front. With the proper gearing 5-600 hp will be enough to push through it even with the aero upgrades. It doesn't take much of a crest at speed to launch into a bad situation.

Attachments

• CLR_Flip.jpg
    CLR_Flip.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 310
Last edited:
Back