SL-C powerplant possibility?

The LQ9 is great for an "all motor" engine. The LQ4 is perfect for boosting (twin turbo 1000hp for $5k-been done on hotrod). The main difference being the 9 has flat top pistons (higher compression too) and the 4 pistons are dished. Lots of Jeep guys use these engines. They are VERY SIMPLE to build, install, and get running.

Edit: A friend and I built up an LQ9 and installed it into his Jeep LJ. Other than measuring ten times before mounting the new motor mounts (measure 1000 times, cut once), it was a walk in the park. Everything is plug and play with these too (just like any LSx).

:laugh::thumbsup: I was just about to mention the difference between the LQ4 and LQ9. The LQ4 is 9.5:1 comp ratio I believe and the LQ9 is around 10.4:1.

You also have 5.3's in the LM7/LM4/L59/L33 which are extremely cheap and can make over 400 hp with the same heads and equipment listed above.

Last edited:
I see the LQ4's for 500-1K but the LQ9 has been between 1-1.5K complete. Thats the beauty of it all. If the shortblock dies they are cheap and easy to replace.

Would it be possible to put a Northstar 4.6L in the SLC? Looks like they can be had pretty cheap and it is pretty light. Any thoughts? Since I am not building a race car I am looking at other options. Also, I know I can always change the engine easily later on.

Forget the Deathstar....use an LS based engine iron or ali block....but the deathstar is not worth the trouble....

I spent time at GM in engine development on the Northstar programme....and also the LS series engines....go LS everytime

You can use a Ford 4.6L or 5.4L for a decent price. You also have a choice of 2, 3, and 4V heads on both of them.

LOL, I know I know. I need to stop googling stuff:embarassed:. How about the L98? These people have some for a nice price. Would there be an issue finding an ECU and harness for that motor?

SMCPerformance.com
Forget the Deathstar....use an LS based engine iron or ali block....but the deathstar is not worth the trouble....

I spent time at GM in engine development on the Northstar programme....and also the LS series engines....go LS everytime

Use the latest model engine you can afford LS3 etc ...the new E67 ecu and wiring harness for the current crate engine packages is the easiest plug and play system on the market...

They come with a 2 year warranty too....

You may find that by trying to save money upfront , in the end you may spend more coming to the same conclusion as the guys that buy new...just my opinion...YRMV.

Last edited:

Steve

Supporter
Ford Mod V8's are great engines, but you'll need boost in order to make the power you want. That will raise the price significantly.

Hmmmmm.... listen to these words of wisdom grasshopper

Oh I know it. In my anal retentiveness I have researched just about every engine option I could, big and small, cheap and expensive, and every time I do I end up at the LS3 (430hp) crate motor for the best all-around engine all things considered in terms of power, reliability, and ease of use.

They come with a 2 year warranty too....

What are the stipulations of the warranty? Are they still covered in a none Chevrolet car/car for which it wasn't intended? Does it have to be installed by a 'professional' for it to be warrantied?

You really cannot beat the LS3 for bang for buck but I can't help but feel I'd prefer the Coyote.

I met up with Brian over the weekend and finally got to see an actual 5.4 mod motor and you are right, that thing is HUUUUUUUUUUGE physically HUUUUUUUUUUUGE.

The Coyote in the Mustang I had didn't seem anywhere near as big but then it was covered in a bit of engine dressing.

5.4's are a bit big and they mostly come in iron block form unless you get a Ford GT aluminum block or 2011-2012 GT500 pullout. Best bang for buck with a ford mod motor is 2005-2010 Aluminum 4.6 3V with a turbo. You can find turbo kits dirt cheap these days if you have the time and patients to wait on a deal and you can push the stock rotating assembly to 500hp safely. Plenty of budget options out there.

Or just go with the low compression 'terminator' Coyote engine and boost away.

As far as I know the Coyote is comparable in weight to the LS3, maybe a bit heavier, I think I may prefer the sound as well because it should sound more like the Audi 4.2, Jag 5.0 and Merc 5.5 V8's which have a much nicer/deeper burble that the LS series of engines.

Coyote is amazing and so is the termi. However, anything 4V or Cobra labeled is going to cost you. Not to mention you need 4 cams so upgrading is $$$$$$$$. Im just speaking from a budget point of view but if money is no issue I would go with an LS7 or Coyote/termi. Shoot, by the time I order my kit I could probably find a cheap 5.0 or maybe the Mod Boss 302 motor..........

Coyote should be comparable in price to the LS3, as for the LS7 I'm really not sure why anyone bothers with it any more since the LS3 offers so much more, for less.

Back