SLC center lock conversion kit ?

i saw this and though it would be pretty dope for an SLC. i know the SLC uses 5th GEN Camaro SS brakes and would look damn nice. so my question is, what are the pros and cons to having a system like this on the slc, obvious they would be hard to steal, and a pain to change tires in the event that you would need to. but, besides that im pretty sure im missing some other key points.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_v6lOoRuB4c

Attachments

• product_photo-xlarge_image-526.jpg
    product_photo-xlarge_image-526.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 808
Last edited:
There is already a center-lock option for the SLC. Uses the standard model wheels from Forgestar, but custom made for centerlock, and includes the necessary adapters.

Call the factory for pricing, availability, etc.

thanks, i didnt know that they offerd this option already. do you think that the ones from the SLC can fit any wheel, or just the forgestar wheels only ?

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
I have worked with Vince from Forgestar and we actually do the final machining in house for the centerlock conversion...

So any of our wheels an be done...it adds quite a bit to the overall price as its machining, adapters centerlock nuts...but it does look great....but of a bugger carrying around a six foot torque wrench incase you get a flat though..wink

I don't know why people want centerlocks. I would gladly swap my 917 to 5-lug if I could. More hassle, more cost - now I've got an $800tq wrench and special socket sitting on my table just for tires, lol.

pretty much any brand of wheels that offers a center lock option would fit, such as these forgeline wheels, right ? i know offset and brake caliper clearance need to be calculated, and longer studs may be needed, ect.. but these wheels could be fitted to SLC right ?

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
There are a ton of other things to be taken into account with centerlock wheels,

Pilot bore size, depth, centering angle on the hub, drive pin size, drive pin PCD to name a few ...so in short nothing will drop right on ,without having a custom set of wheels made

marc

Lifetime Supporter
I just read in R&T that the center lock wrench for a 918 is 2600 pounds albeit alot smaller

There are a ton of other things to be taken into account with centerlock wheels,

Pilot bore size, depth, centering angle on the hub, drive pin size, drive pin PCD to name a few ...so in short nothing will drop right on ,without having a custom set of wheels made

thanks for the clarification fran.

Many guys who readily track their 997 Gt3's have "demoted" their cars to 5 studs. I "demoted" my GT2 to lug nuts from lug studs. Just cause its more trick, doesn't mean better or more handy. (GT3 CL are not the same CL as race cars). Makes me laugh inside when I see the guys using brake pedal contraptions to hold the car when torque the CL's or the whole car will move with engine compression.

Saying all that, I love CL looks and Alex, a 917 has to be CL in my book, so kudos to you for living with the hassle!

And to think, when watching old race film you see guys hammering on the knock-offs (knock-ons?)... I wonder if they ever worried if they got the torque right?

But of course some of those 60's cars' wheels had sheet metal "splines" if you dare call them that. Others did have pin drive but not exactly the same thing as modern CL. LOL

And to think, when watching old race film you see guys hammering on the knock-offs (knock-ons?)... I wonder if they ever worried if they got the torque right?

In theory those old cars should tighten as it's driven since they have right and left hand threads. That said someone in a Jag club I belonged had to be towed (hard to believe I know) and the tow truck driver lifted it in the rear and towed it backwards. End result was one of the front wheels came off.

Back