Snap-On tools are for fools

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Jim -
Facom are brilliant but in a similar price bracket to Snap-on. Plus of course they are French so there is an inbuilt opposition to many things French (selectively chosen I hasten to add) here in the UK.

Dave, I dont have $60 K invested, but probably 30K in 4 rollers full of tools. I have big variety and some my Snap-ons I have had 50 years already. I like there tools but in todays market there are many others that are very good and "feel" good. Biggest complaint I have is 3/8" flex ratchets, always seem to fail after few years, Snap-on guy fixes but they don't last. After buying 3 over time I gave up and bought 3 made in Taiwan for 1/2 the price for all as opposed to price of 1 from Snap-on, still haven't had failure on 1st one. My biggest concern on tools now is wish i could get some value out of them, I'm old and need to dispose of 90%, but seems no real market for used tools because most don't appreciate good ones, trying to find young guy worthy of giving them too now. Yes. in todays competition, the high priced tool guys have a uphill road to hoe.

Feel free to dispose of them to me - I'm still youngish - 27 - and have built a 65 cobra and working on an rcr SLC - to me good quality is Sears, because that's all I have :D

Alex, Yes 27 is young--great-- if I determined you were worthy young man, I may just do it, as opposed to my kids giving them away for $50 ! ! ! Biggest problem is stupid Canadian customs---------- duty probably as much as cost new.

Chris Duncan

Supporter
their products comprise only perhaps 25% of my kit.

Have to agree with Sid. I'm a tech and have about 25% Snap-on stuff. You have to look at each tool on an individual basis. When it comes to hand tools, like wrenches, sockets, pliers nothing beats Snap-on. And there was a time when they had the best dealer coverage but I think the bad economy has taken care of that.

the reason a SO wrench is the best is clearance, the wall thickness of the hex is thinner and closer precision than any other, it will get in tighter places. Same with the other hand tools, better precision.

You start talking air tools and IR is better, SO air tools are mediocre. And start looking at electric power tools, SO is black&decker rebranded.

Bill Kearley

Supporter
My fauther started me of with Snap On when I was 12 (about $400.00 worth in 1963)
When I left the Ford dealer I was at I sold SO for six months and quit, never home , 300 mile teritory and small population.
Over priced........yes but still a nice tool
How much have I got invested !!!!!!!!!!!!! about 1 and 1/2 SPF's worth

O yes I am canadian eh.

Bill Kearley

Supporter
That is 1 an1/2 spf GT 40' s worth.
By the way i'm not a rookie any more . not since Road America and a few laps in # 21
Thank-you Dennis

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Jeff,
Could be more than 50% more than Craftsman depending on the particular tool. Nice to use but so are many of the Sears Craftsman. Teng similarly nice to use though ratchet sets tend to be a bit 'meaty'. Teng 'ring' and 'open ended' spanners are extremely nice with some good offset angles. Here in the UK Halfords do a comprehensive premium range as well which is worth a look - probably made in China
but isn't some Snap on made there as well ?

I exclusively use Craftsman sockets on Snap On ratchets, never broken one but lost a couple left in customer cars - never got them back ! Frank

lost a couple left in customer cars - never got them back ! Frank

Just as well you're not working on Aircraft Frank - Twas a 'Hanging Offence' as I recall from my RAE days.....

On another note, Someone sometime back said that Snap-on items are made at same location as the Halfords Pro range, or visa-versa. Not sure whether true but use the HF Pro range and very pleased with the performance / durability + they have a Lifetime Warranty...:thumbsup:

Keith

"You certainly cannot beat the adrenaline rush attained from having a 5/8ths hex socket stuck under the brake pedal whilst approaching the end of the Hangar Straight at 180mph."

Who said that?

I did, shortly before beating my mechanic half to death at Silverstone Northern GT Series meeting July 1985.

Dave Wood

Lifetime Supporter
"You certainly cannot beat the adrenaline rush attained from having a 5/8ths hex socket stuck under the brake pedal whilst approaching the end of the Hangar Straight at 180mph."

Who said that?

I did, shortly before beating my mechanic half to death at Silverstone Northern GT Series meeting July 1985.

We were required to inventory our tool bag prior to signing off. That was in the early 70's, not sure if they still do.

Ron Earp

Admin
Price is price, but most tools become workhorses because of their functionality, not brand. One of my favorite ratchets is this little $4.99 job I picked up in the checkout line one day.

961DE.jpg

1/4" drive on one side, 3/8" on the other. I figured I'd try it out and if it lasted two weeks I'd have my money's worth. Three years later it is doing great and gets more or less constant use when someone in working in the garage. Jeff bought another like it, a 3/8" and 1/2" drive version, to add to the collection and it gets used a lot too. Useful tools if you have lots of different versions of sockets - deep, shallow, 6 pt, 12 pt, impact, etc. that are spread across many drive versions.

Who said that?

Bloody-Hell Keith - I bet that focused your attention and I would think you might not only feel the rush but also know the colour and smell of adrenalin too.:shocked:

When I used to work on aircraft, we had to use only hanger supplied tools from a shadow tool board. We each had an ident number and could only use tools with that marking, any missing were (or should be) traceable to the engineer and using 'personal' or 'un-idented' tools was a big no-no too.. Common sense really...

It also reminds me of the 302 I rebuilt after suffering a timing chain breakage. Upon stripdown and inspection, I found parts of a '17th' roller lifter that that found their way into the timing chain after a period of about 18 mths use.

Dave Wood

Lifetime Supporter
It also reminds me of the 302 I rebuilt after suffering a timing chain breakage. Upon stripdown and inspection, I found parts of a '17th' roller lifter that that found their way into the timing chain after a period of about 18 mths use.
A few years ago a customer brought their touring bike to me after having someone else rebuild the front forks. Normally the bike would be pretty wallowy,it is a touring bike, but the front end was absolutely ridgid. He was a longtime customer that searched for another wrench when I started building rods and let the bike work go. The other mechanic( using the term loosely since I trained him and knew he was a fool) threatened him when he took it back to have it looked at. "There is NOTHING wrong with that bike" he reportedly stated while kicking the guy from his shop. He located me and asked if I'd look at it and I always try and take care of longterm customers, so I told him to drop it off. When I pulled the forks down, I found a 6" 3/8 drive extension and the damper socket still in the fork...no wonder it was ridgid. Since the tools that I found were some of the ones he stolen from the shop, he didn't even know they were missing.
I told the customer that he should always be afraid of someone that opens a shop after only a few years of experience, especially when he didn't even know what points were when he started. Hopefully he has been swallowed up by the economy and his assinine behaviour/workmanship (?). His wife worked in a bank and he drank in a bar, he had that skill level to a tee. Probably what made the rest of him so lacking.

Jeff Young

GT40s Supporter
You see those things in the checkout line at Autozone, and they are great. Handy, small, and tough.

The other tool Ron turned me onto is the Industro set that combines metric and SAE sockets into a single socket -- I thought for sure it wouldn't work and would strip both but they are amazing. Whenever I need to work on something on the fly, it's the first thing I grab.

Price is price, but most tools become workhorses because of their functionality, not brand. One of my favorite ratchets is this little $4.99 job I picked up in the checkout line one day.

961DE.jpg

1/4" drive on one side, 3/8" on the other. I figured I'd try it out and if it lasted two weeks I'd have my money's worth. Three years later it is doing great and gets more or less constant use when someone in working in the garage. Jeff bought another like it, a 3/8" and 1/2" drive version, to add to the collection and it gets used a lot too. Useful tools if you have lots of different versions of sockets - deep, shallow, 6 pt, 12 pt, impact, etc. that are spread across many drive versions.

Back