Southern GT #48

I wish you guys had started building your cars just before I started mine, very inconsiderate of you ;) So many great ideas and craftmanship.

Ed McClements

Supporter
I wish you guys had started building your cars just before I started mine, very inconsiderate of you ;) So many great ideas and craftmanship.

I don't know what you mean, Nick. I wouldn't even have started building if it hadn't have been for you, Keith, Belinda, Martin, Mark, Udo, Paul, Dan, Morten and countless others, showing what can be done. Standing on the shoulders of giants, mate...that's what it is.

Udo

Supporter
A bit more panelling yesterday...

49740126196_396b0128c3_o.jpg

49740128491_ac4c5d07be_o.jpg

I know some of you SGT builders have made a few of rear panels removable, either with self-tapping screws or Rivnuts & setscrews. Which did you choose? I currently have this one removable:-

View attachment 105501

which gives me good access to the left-rear brake line, back of fuel tank etc.
I did the same, plus the verticals. I don‘t believe that bonded and riveted sheets will provide much more stiffness to the frame. At the end, it‘s up to you and to the flexibility of your hands and arms ...

On the back Sam made the underneath panels removable as we have fuel filters in there and then you can finish what you see and all looks the same ,sam been busy On lockdown feaver
275B7A30-BAAC-406D-8499-032993DD7028.jpeg
50FD3DCC-F92F-436D-87D0-1543AA769B69.jpeg
275B7A30-BAAC-406D-8499-032993DD7028.jpeg

Ed McClements

Supporter
On the back Sam made the underneath panels removable as we have fuel filters in there and then you can finish what you see and all looks the same ,sam been busy On lockdown feaver

Underneath panels...? There's nothing underneath on my chassis / panel set. Am I missing some (more) panels?

Nice handles, by the way. Tell Sam he's a talented guy.

Ed McClements

Supporter
Just had a look at Martin Gough's photos:-

img_5630-1-jpg.18423

I don't have the small rectangular panels at the rear of the chassis, either side of the engine bay. Do other SGT builders have these panels...?

Ye thats the one I think we had to make eddy ,drill and tap the chassis no bonding so you can get in again to the rear of the tanks
hi Andy a little bit of milling by me and a lot of filing and sanding by sam ,i would like to say I taught him everything he knows but that would be stretching the truth ,he is a very capable engineer,very hands on and loves building anything thats why we make everything we can within reason ,the mantra is what one man can do another man can do and every day is a learning day

Having said that it’s time to make the hartwell latches so if anyone has one we can borrow to have a look at ,or any parts or patterns ,drawings ,anything to help, we will have a go at making them and also try to help other members as they are mega expensive and difficult to get

thanks mark

Neil

Supporter
Eddy, will you be using some sort of sealant between the aluminum panels and the chassis? It is a good idea to do so as it prevents water from wicking between the faying surfaces and causing corrosion. This panel is a structural element so use good quality rivets.

Udo

Supporter
Just had a look at Martin Gough's photos:-

img_5630-1-jpg.18423

I don't have the small rectangular panels at the rear of the chassis, either side of the engine bay. Do other SGT builders have these panels...?
Eddy, the rear panels are also not in my car. I needed the clearance to install pumps and hoses, so leave it open.

Udo

Supporter
Eddy, will you be using some sort of sealant between the aluminum panels and the chassis? It is a good idea to do so as it prevents water from wicking between the faying surfaces and causing corrosion. This panel is a structural element so use good quality rivets.
Eddy, Neil is more than right. It‘s not only sealing, but also a good adhesive will add a lot of strenght and take loads away from the rivets.

Ed McClements

Supporter

Eddy, Neil is more than right. It‘s not only sealing, but also a good adhesive will add a lot of strenght and take loads away from the rivets.

Hi Guys

In a word, yes. The pic above is a re-post of post #49, further up this thread, from last Summer. The sealant tube sitting on the floor in the photo is Sikaflex (either 252 or 221, I can't remember). Sticks like sh*t to a blanket, as they say in these parts.

Ed McClements

Supporter
Having said that it’s time to make the hartwell latches so if anyone has one we can borrow to have a look at ,or any parts or patterns ,drawings ,anything to help, we will have a go at making them and also try to help other members as they are mega expensive and difficult to get

thanks mark

Mark - there's this on GrabCAD:-

And some good photos in this thread here:-

Eddy, the rear panels are also not in my car. I needed the clearance to install pumps and hoses, so leave it open.
I discussed this with Mick when I got my panel set and realised nothing was included.
He said exactly the same thing.

They were fitted right at the beginning (I've an image from the SGT website showing them) but I guess experience gained precipitated their deletion.
My car will have them as a removable commodity ..... when I find time to get on with it again!

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter

thanks mark
Mark,

I have quite a few unmodified originals left so will send you one to play with.
Send me a PM with your address again.
Hartwell 01.jpg

Ed McClements

Supporter

Hi Mark

You're running Webers, right? What pumps / filters / pressure regulators did you choose? Webers are a bit fussy re: fuel pressure (3 psi?).

Eddy

Back