SPF #2285 Born, But Still Coming To Life

Here are the side mirrors mounted with the brackets/mounts I laser cut. I use the Convex mirrors purchased from Pegasus Racing...about $150 set.

Brian

Attachments

• IMG952097.jpg
    IMG952097.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 383
  • IMG952099.jpg
    IMG952099.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 355
  • IMG952100.jpg
    IMG952100.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 374

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I have used those mirrors before and they are quite light and also come in either flat or convex (recommend the later)...
One thing you may want to do Brian - there is a set screw that uses a hex key from the inside to lock the mast in place. The screw is steel and the bracket is aluminum. I had one corrode due to dissimilar metals and water from washing and rain. Pull that screw and give it a couple of twists of teflon thread tape. Since I did that I no longer had the problem.

Brian,
Slick installation. Wish I had seen that before I did my mirrors. Had those exact same mirrors on my Formula Atlantic years back and they work well.

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
The helicopter vents are wonderful and you can turn one forward and the other backward and they vent the cabin well, I unfortunately put them high where the air from the radiator passes by the window and the air is hot, I wish I would have put them where Brian did.

Attachments

• gt40 vents 001.jpg
    gt40 vents 001.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 389

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Dennis installed mine and mounted them down low. I never gave it much thought but I'm glad he did :)

They do work great for adding circulation in the cab.

2012081800.jpg

Robert S.

GT40s Supporter
Reply To Friends

To Brian, Randy, Dave, Jack and Mike! Sorry for the delay, I somehow did not receive eMail notifications for posts to the thread. But thanks for all your tips and suggestions. Your ride is stylin' Mike.

I've also been busy with our build. The car is either hours, or a day or two from first start-up, so after nearly one and a quarter years of waiting the day is near.

My main purpose in visiting today was to post a couple of photos of both the upgrade headers and the SPF headers. You may remember that in a recent post I mentioned our disappointment that the upgrade headers were not fitting properly and I had to return them. The fabricator is working on attempting to solve the fitment problem, so that outcome is unknown at present. But, feast your eyes on these slightly larger and striking bundle of snakes.

head1.jpg
head2.jpg

Robert S.

GT40s Supporter
Headers and Trans Questions

Who are you having build the upgraded headers?

Mike, that's a decent question, and I haven't forgotten the previous question you posed inquiring how much it cost to polish the RBT trans. First the trans.

My answer would be misleading without ample information. It ended up being $3,200, but I would guess that 50 to 60% of that expense was relegated to picking the trans back up from the shop, draining the oil, disassembling, sending to polisher, and performing all of that work in reverse order. My fault since I was unaware that such could be accomplished, and that I would desire it, so I paid the penalty for my ignorance, as many of us may do from time to time . . .

As to the headers, at this juncture it would be prudent for me to leave that name private. The company sent me a full refund for the product and freight, so thus far they are acting in good faith.

However, a mystery of sorts is in the process of being solved. Basically, the fabricator tends to believe that all was well with fitment, and even though we sent numerous eMail photos indicating there was a problem Houston, the fabricator remains uncertain.

The fabricator is concerned and recently purchased a non operational 351W engine, and is in the process of setting it up as a permanent future template or jig rig, so to speak. Once that process is completed and headers bolted on, the answer MAY become known.

In addition to this state of confusion, I don't know if this vendor is an advertiser here on the forum, so I may ultimately have to send you a PM to avoid issues.

This is my way of letting you know that I'm not playing games, or being intentionally elusive or secretive.

Cheers, Robert

Last edited:

Robert S.

GT40s Supporter
Side Mirrors

The helicopter vents are wonderful and you can turn one forward and the other backward and they vent the cabin well, I unfortunately put them high where the air from the radiator passes by the window and the air is hot, I wish I would have put them where Brian did.

Great observation on the in/out setup accelerating ventilation, and thanks for the advanced notice of proper vent positioning, and the problem that may arise otherwise!

Jack, what brand or type of side mirrors did you decide to use?

Thanks, Robert

Robert S.

GT40s Supporter
Side Mirrors

California style, I ordered the Vitaloni type first but they were not as good a quality as these here on ebay. "California Classic" Retro Door Wing Mirror Hot Rod Universal Fit Vintage | eBay

You will have to make a wedge to make them work properly but I can see out of both of mine, I viewed these on 1083 while in Monterey one year.

It appears that every day the sun shines, and other days too, you just keep on providing good, useful information. Keep it up. Thanks again. :thumbsup:

Robert,

First of all, welcome to the SPF GulfClub! I have a few additional suggestions. Ingleses makes a velocity stack sock that has zero resistance on the dyno. They work great and look great. See photo. Also painting the door roof guides is another nice touch. Lastly, is a photo of my driving lights and blinker combo.

Brain, Did you go back to a 12" rear wheel?

~ Randy

Attachments

• Engine.jpg
    Engine.jpg
    371.2 KB · Views: 379
  • DriveLights.jpg
    DriveLights.jpg
    372.7 KB · Views: 356
  • toy20.jpg
    toy20.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 384

Robert S.

GT40s Supporter
Robert,

First of all, welcome to the SPF GulfClub! I have a few additional suggestions. Ingleses makes a velocity stack sock that has zero resistance on the dyno. They work great and look great. See photo. Also painting the door roof guides is another nice touch. Lastly, is a photo of my driving lights and blinker combo.

Brian, Did you go back to a 12" rear wheel?

~ Randy

Randy, Thank you. I enjoyed seeing the picts you sent. I spoke to Jim 6 or 8 months ago when I originally contemplated Webers, and I especially liked his sidedraft set-up! He's a decent guy. I'll check in on the velocity stacks with screens. I did very much like the creative upgrades you used such as the driving lights with turn flasher. I liked the position/angle of the conards too.

Good job! I hope to me you and the others someday. If you hear loud screams, or what sounds like a distant sound barrier event in the next few days, you'll know I'm loose on the public highways . . .

Robert :thumbsup:

Robert,

Brain, Did you go back to a 12" rear wheel?

~ Randy

I go back and forth on the wheels. Normally I run the 14" rear wheels/race Avons. On long trips I put on the 12" rears. The fronts are slighty different as well.

Brian

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Robert, the second set of exhaust pipes are really top-rate. I mean the polished set that look like they were sand-bent, not cut and welded. Who made those for you, and if you can't post it, would you PM me with that information?

Robert S.

GT40s Supporter
Robert, the second set of exhaust pipes are really top-rate. I mean the polished set that look like they were sand-bent, not cut and welded. Who made those for you, and if you can't post it, would you PM me with that information?

PM Sent

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
What do you have against YouTube? Car looks great. Since you went to the effort to polish the transaxle why not do the small easy pieces like the coolant tank as well?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5eg0EkjyJo]Eight Stack Injection GT40 First Start - YouTube[/ame]

Back